Ernie Jr.

Ernie Jr.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Year:2012
  • Car Number:98
This weekend was excellent!!! We were racing at the NASA Fl Sebring race, the 3rd race of the season.

Sum of Weekend: 3 races, 3 wins

First Race:
I qualified 6th in the first race, and got to 3rd within the first half of the race. The track then went double yellow after a car broke down in turn 17. We were double yellow for a while and I was stuck in 3rd. The track then went green for a half a lap...this is were it gets interesting. The 2nd place car breaks on the front straight right at the green, I got a jump at the restart due to me seeing the flag sooner and fly by first. When we get to turn 5 it is double yellow again, did my pass count? Yes it did!! The 2nd place car that broke blew a motor and caught on fire. The driver was ok, but it caused the yellow. We stayed yellow for the entire rest of the race and I cruised to my 1st of 3 victories.

Second Race (Second Day):
I qualified 5th for this race. Today they decided to combine the 2 race groups to have 2 combined races unlike one for each group on the first day. Great more track time, but 2 downsides, 1 50 cars on track at the same time and 2 all the cars qualify were they they were timed, so that means Spec E30's will get in the middle of the Spec Miata battles and start grid. Well 1st place started 5 E30's ahead of 2nd. Problem. I again move to third place before the halfway point, me and 2nd place work together to pressure 1st. As 2nd place goes for a pass in turn 7 the leader tries to go deep to prevent it, he then locks it up and clips the back of an E30 which slides across the track and 2nd place T-Bones it. The leader bent a control arm and 2nd place ruined a tire. I missed the broken 2nd place car by inches and cruise to yet another victory with 2 laps left.

Video from the 2nd day:

Third Race:
I started 1st from the previous win and checked out from the field. I drove a clean race and won by 5 seconds.

Thanks to:
Robert Van Epps
Racepak
Joe Heck Racing
Breathless Performance

Ernie Francis Jr.
www.ErnieFrancisJrRacing.com
Pirelli World Challenge TCB/GTS Driver

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75
So the shift light comes on at 7200??? No mechanical rev limiter?

Nice drive.
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Ernie Jr.

Ernie Jr.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
No shift light comes on at 7000. Yes the rev limiter comes on at 7200.

Ernie Francis Jr.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

suck fumes

suck fumes

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Region:Lonestar
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:75
Good drive kid. I'll give you credit this time cause your car actually seemed legit! haha.
2010, 2011 SM Sowdiv points champion!
2011 National points champion!

WWW.MOTORSPORTHEAVEN.COM

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest
  • Car Year:1999
Posting a race video is like putting a pizza in front of me...I have to partake, but for gosh sakes, do something about the video bounce if you are going to continue posting these. I'm running out of dramamine! But, nice job kid.

Bill-
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ernie Jr.

Ernie Jr.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
We actually did not touch a thing on the car. We just did another dyno run on it to make sure the power was still there...it was...lol.

Ernie Francis Jr.

Ernie Jr.

Ernie Jr.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
I know, I know the camera mount sucks. We are going to fix it before the next event.

Ernie Francis Jr.

KentCarter

KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:91

So the shift light comes on at 7200??? No mechanical rev limiter?

Nice drive.

He must have the 'soft limiter'. When I get those kinds of revs I get the "bap bap bap bap bap" limiter.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ernie Jr.

Ernie Jr.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

He must have the 'soft limiter'. When I get those kinds of revs I get the "bap bap bap bap bap" limiter.

I can make a dyno video of the car bumping the rev limiter, it sounds like any other car but the sound is not that good in the video so you can barely hear it.

Ernie Francis Jr.

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22
Times for races and qualifying seem a bit slow. Was it wet?
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Ernie Jr.

Ernie Jr.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
No the times just were not there. The track did not have the best grip.

Ernie Francis Jr.

guest driver

guest driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Region:11
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:90

No the times just were not there. The track did not have the best grip.

Kid; another good drive there, congrats on the wins ...
Some comments from watching your vid;
much hotter ambient temps than January, greasy race track means loose race car ... means you need to hit your marks more consistant;

must be disciplined, hit late apexes, no early turn ins, you ran out of track on exits a few times, killed your exit speed, stay off them curbs (check your hubs),
you can go in deeper as you are down 4-5 mph top speed compared to cooler weather and grippier track, notice your 3-4 shift points were 50+ feet further down than on cooler weather days, no 5th in the video due to slower exit speeds ... monitor and and adjust hot tire pressures, you will see more build up with all that sliding, tires go away quickly.
Surplus of talent behind the wheel, now work at being smooth and disciplined, hitting your marks every time, Sebring is a very technical track, more so than Homestead, scrub off any mid corner-out exit speed at 10, 16 and 17 and you lose 1.5 to 2 sec per lap.

Again, good job and congrats.
guest driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Pay attention to Carlos... He knows what he is talking about. Carlos has helped me quite a bit with the Florida tracks since 2005 or so. I only watched a little of the video. I agree, good job. I noticed you are turning in a early for the carousel, be careful, that hurts all the way to T7
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Ernie Jr.

Ernie Jr.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
Thank you for the positive comments, I am open to any critique.

Ernie Francis Jr.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: win, sebring, 14, sm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users