trimless

Low Budget Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:11

Texas. Dave an Clifton are working hard to make sure we are all legal. They come up with a new tech each weekend.

Yep, still have the burn marks on my arm from pulling the starter at the last race.
G. Corley
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Chris Price

Chris Price

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Number:3

We need to focus more on this driver parity issue. No drivers over 60 or under 30. We need to get the middle aged, got other important things going on, can't dedicate to much time for racing, got to keep the wife happy crowd, so I am not at such a disadvantage. Not to discount that young, I don't have any fear of dying, or paying to fix my wagon crowd either.

P3 on Sunday at Putnam Park - I realized on the way home that I am in fact older than P1 and P2 combined :weeping: Seconding Frank's motion ...........

Anyway, Putnam and Mid-Ohio a month ago saw a good mix of '99, 1.8 and 1.6 cars in qualifying times and race results - from my seat in a '99 it looks like things are pretty even and any difference has to be blamed on driver parity! My guess is that no-holds-barred, no-expense-spared, just-tuned-for the-weekend 1.6 cars will be tough to beat, but that's much less than a fraction of 1% and while likely to be a factor at Nationals, are not practical to keep at that level for 99% of racers i.e. even if my guess were true, its no reason to disturb what seems like a pretty even playing field for all the decently prep'd racecars out there.
  • john mueller, Jim Drago and JRHille like this

1999 Spec Miata: East Street born and V2 Motorsports raised
2010 NASA Great Lakes SM Champion
2010 NASA Great Lakes Rookie of the Year

2013 NASA Midwest SM Champion

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Strongbad

Strongbad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Region:ATL
  • Car Year:1992
I think you are about as close as you can get without getting into individual track adjustments for each model.
Was running SM2 as a 'political statement' but no longer find it necessary with the new rules.
Skill level / buget level adjustments are next....?? ;))

Joseph Strong (1.6 forever! or until I can find the budget for a 99!)
  • john mueller likes this

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I realized on the way home that I am in fact older than P1 and P2 combined :weeping: Seconding Frank's motion ...........

For some reason.. I still see myself at 28-32.. Like someone keeps forgetting to tell me I am an old fart at 45! :( I really can't believe I am that old.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

For some reason.. I still see myself at 28-32.. Like someone keeps forgetting to tell me I am an old fart at 45! :( I really can't believe I am that old.

I'm with ya Jim, 45 this yr... But when I had 3-stints placed in my heart arteries I aged a tiny bit...
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Mike Asselta

Mike Asselta

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Region:Kansas City
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:70
I already complimented the CRB on this year's changes, but I can't let Jim's post die for lack of controversy, so....add 25 pounds to the '99+ cars and call it good. If the Sprints and Runoffs weren't at RA then maybe I wouldn't even say that, but the big horsepower tracks just give way to, well, top-end horsepower.

"Some" 99's already run heavy and still run very well.

I haven't seen any top prepped 1.6's in working order this year, and we haven't run the Sprints yet, admittedly, I don't have the whole picture.
Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

"Some" 99's already run heavy and still run very well.

I am at weight and Blake is in a 1.8 :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Mike Asselta

Mike Asselta

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Who knew? :noidea:

Well, let's leave the door open a crack for Blake, and congrats Slim!
  • Jim Drago likes this
Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

tferranti

tferranti

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Number:51
I have raced my 94 versus 1.8's, 99's, and 1.6's this year on the Hoosier and the Toyo. This is the closest the parity has ever been. Each car has its strong points and weak points.

Well done to all who worked hard in making this happen.

.......I mean the 94-97 needs a larger hole in the ole RP :prayer:
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

PLEASE, Jim at 45 you are not old, under the half century mark is considered young. I will be 55 this year, AARP is calling. You just feel old when the 18 to 21 crowd is kicking your butt.

So this is the proposal I suggest to bring back to SCCA, for every year over 18 years of age you get to deduct one pound of weight from your min wt.
  • Charlie James, Gary Norris, William Keeling and 2 others like this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

So this is the proposal I suggest to bring back to SCCA, for every year over 18 years of age you get to deduct one pound of weight from your min wt.

Frank, I like your handy cap. That will bring my 1.6 down to 2248 pounds which is real today for the car/driver. :thumbsup:
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

I haven't seen any top prepped 1.6's in working order this year, and we haven't run the Sprints yet, admittedly, I don't have the whole picture.

Mike, down here in the SE, Todd Buras has been a force to be reckoned with in his 1.6. It is definitely not lacking for power. He has run at the front in every national race so far this year, and is lying 6th in the National points race so far this year.

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

I will be 55 this year, AARP is calling.

We got in at 50. Excellent discounts on various items.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Dave if your trying to make me feel good, its not working.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

I started getting AARP mail when I was 41, 6-months after I got my stints.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

Yep, still have the burn marks on my arm from pulling the starter at the last race.

I feel your pain Gale, I bet I have a matching set to yours.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

AJ Roderick

AJ Roderick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:Neohio
  • Car Number:56

I started getting AARP mail when I was 41, 6-months after I got my stints.

I've gotten mail from AARP since I was 18 :(
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mike Asselta

Mike Asselta

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Mike, down here in the SE, Todd Buras has been a force to be reckoned with in his 1.6. It is definitely not lacking for power. He has run at the front in every national race so far this year, and is lying 6th in the National points race so far this year.

Good info, thanks Danny. In truth, I think my 94 has the 99 under braking...so that's the 99's achilles heel. A little more weight will just exaggerate that weakness toward the end of the race, which would be really cool if I can stay close enough to make that move!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Good info, thanks Danny. In truth, I think my 94 has the 99 under braking...so that's the 99's achilles heel. A little more weight will just exaggerate that weakness toward the end of the race, which would be really cool if I can stay close enough to make that move!

For the record 94-05 MIATAS run the IDENTICAL brakes, so at a lighter weight, same brakes there is little to think about :)

As far as parity goes.. I think I will take your opinion with a grain of salt? :) Although add weight to a car other than my own is a very original opinion, especially on this forum :)
The goal of the changes was to keep all the cars within 100 lbs, the plan is to leave the rules alone for three years less something really blindsides us in next few years. 25 lbs and 1-2 mm is not remotely something that the CRB will even entertain during that time period.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users