25 replies to this topic

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
The first thing I did when we were doing the deal on the F-150 was have them take the $4k blingy tire and wheel package out. They were at least 20" with low profile tires. I know he had a lot of margin in the package but he couldn't believe I wanted a workhorse truck.

gkmccready

gkmccready

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Region:SFR/NorCal
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:4

On another note, my bud in black 3rd gen RX7 that races ITE tows using his older model Tahoe. Now that one does not tow the weight all that well.

I just bought a 22ft Exiss and I've been towing it with an '01 Tahoe K1500. I did install an Equal-i-zer weight distributing/anti-sway hitch. My truck has the 5.3l and 130+Kmi ... it's actually doing a decent job of moving the trailer around with or without the Miata in it. I've been looking at other trucks (2500 Suburban, 2500/3500 Sierra, etc) and I'm sure they'd be much better, but I don't feel like I need to run right out and buy one -- if I hadn't put on the WD hitch, though, I bet I would!

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

I just bought a 22ft Exiss and I've been towing it with an '01 Tahoe K1500. I did install an Equal-i-zer weight distributing/anti-sway hitch. My truck has the 5.3l and 130+Kmi ... it's actually doing a decent job of moving the trailer around with or without the Miata in it. I've been looking at other trucks (2500 Suburban, 2500/3500 Sierra, etc) and I'm sure they'd be much better, but I don't feel like I need to run right out and buy one -- if I hadn't put on the WD hitch, though, I bet I would!

Yep. He's been doing it for years so while not the most optimal setup it gets the job done well enough. I'm sure he would have upgraded if it didn't.

Sometimes I dream of selling my F250 diesel for something I can drive to work more comfortably - like a nice SUV - but then the thought of an enclosed trailer soon makes me want to keep the ugly old truck. Never having towed an enclosed trailer, not sure what it would feel like in a slightly less powerful gas truck/suv so I'll keep the truck until I decide.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Barrett Tilley

Barrett Tilley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Region:Norcal
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:43
The 20ft trailer seems like a good option for me at this stage in life.

Going into shock was an interesting sensation. I don't plan on doing it again anytime soon.

Thanks for all of the advice.

Barrett
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:12
I have a 30' tag trailer (around 11k #) that I tow with my 3/4 ton dodge... coming from towing a gooseneck, it was relatively scary at first. I sprung for the Equa-l-izer hitch as well and it has really tamed the manners of the trailer. Highly recommended.

Btw, bigger is always better. More room for spares, junk, storage, tires, etc.
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Inferno

Inferno

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:81
Barret, glad to hear your healing well. I have a 20' enclosed trailer well prepared that works great for me, tire racks for three sets, plus the set on your car, so for sets. built in tool box and storage compartments for floor jack, air pig, closet for driving gear, overhead storage, work bench and an area for stackable spare parts bins. The best advise was from "Jim" its all about the Axles. So I put all this into my entry level trailer, then realized the axles and tires are maxed, so I upgrades the tires and still need to do the axles, so listen to Jim. You want 6 lug axles, not 5.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users