Photo

So...Who won the Charby vs. Prodigy shootout in FLORIDA?

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
280 replies to this topic

Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Year:1999
10 of those guys were at Thunderbolt a couple of weeks ago.

Which scrutineer missed that headlight air intake? Can't get much more blatant than that.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Scott McKay

Scott McKay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:31
Derik:

As your publicist, I will tell you this. You're a cheating piece of s. I knew it the minute you passed me. If you pass me, you must be cheating, because I'm cheating.
Three Time NASA National Champion

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

In case you missed it the Ernie show is on a different thread. However he is disingenious about his exhaust. The other guy that was found to be non-compliant was a newbie who just bought the race car. He is still responible for his car but we all know that those kind of things can happen. It's not the same as putting your car together yourself knowing that the car was illegal. I have no doubt that his car will be compliant at the next race.

But here you go some info about the car. Last race at Sebring Jr was complaining the car was down a little on power at the higher rpm but he still won the race. We decided to go over the engine last week with new rings bearings etc. We also ordered a cylinder head from Gilfus Racing which came in Tuesday and put the engine together then on the dyno for 1hr. This was the first run for the car with the new engine to break it in. We did do the sniffer test and was at 9.1 which is low. Saturday I was on the phone with Gilfus Racing trying to find out what the problem was and if it was from the rings not fully seated or him not taking enough off the head. Even down on power he was able to place 6th with no draft partner. His times were about 1.2 seconds off the pace. He did get faster as he put more time on the engine. That was enough to put him just behind the front runners.

Oh if this is about a header that was not ported but missing 2 nubs in the exhaust port and otherwise normal. We changed it for them right away and wanted to that Patrick for pointing out the problem. You want to talk about porting the car next to us at tech had a fully ported header. We grabbed that header from a pile we had and stuck it on the car. Obviously it made no power since it was on for practice only and we changed it for qualifying and went faster. Not as bad as 5 out of the 8 cars racing in grand am not passing tech in practice.

SM is only a stepping stone for Jr. He is already set to race World Challenge and maybe grand Am next year. You know what I love about that is no one can touch the engines so it will be all about the drivers.

Jr is moving up to WC in B-Spec then ST. the team is also thinking about sticking him in a Corvette at the end of Next Year. SM is just a stepping stone for one year and that is it. His sponsor has him doing motivational speeches at a number of schools and appearances in on both TV and radio.

Ernie Francis

WOW...this guys head is so deep in the sand OPEC is going to be tapping his arss soon. Was he born in Hawaii or Kenya?

Danny hits the nail on the head with "wisdom". Though I absolutely agree with Alex on the lack of responsibility many of our youth are growing up with in todays society, the majority of the time it would be unjust to lay the burden at the feet of our teenagers. Not necessarily giving them a pass...just pointing out is it fair when 9 times out of 10 it's monkey see monkey do?(BTW...in matters like this) As the mentors and adults we have the future in our hands with the next generation. Jr. will come out of this a "wiser" young man...but still a child and will be labeled...thanks dad :bash: I hope he drops the age when he turns 15!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Danny hits the nail on the head with "wisdom". Though I absolutely agree with Alex on the lack of responsibility many of our youth are growing up with in todays society, the majority of the time it would be unjust to lay the burden at the feet of our teenagers. Not necessarily giving them a pass...just pointing out is it fair when 9 times out of 10 it's monkey see monkey do?(BTW...in matters like this) As the mentors and adults we have the future in our hands with the next generation. Jr. will come out of this a "wiser" young man...but still a child and will be labeled...thanks dad :bash: I hope he drops the age when he turns 15!

That sums up my feelings as well

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

latapx

latapx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Glenn,

Nice video. I feel bad for the kid. What's the deal with the driver's side headlight assembly? Not a too subtle attempt to get cold air to the intake...

10 of those guys were at Thunderbolt a couple of weeks ago.

Which scrutineer missed that headlight air intake? Can't get much more blatant than that.

The video for that special was recorded at a FARA event. Classes there are by engine size. MP-4B is a class for 1.6L and smaller engined cars as well as 1.8 SM running per SM rules. The 1.6L Miata can run unrestricted which is why you see the headlight bucket. They swap parts back and forth on that car depending on whether its NASA/FARA, etc. Not trying to defend anyone...just stating facts...and that headlight bucket was NOT in place at the NASA event.
  • KentCarter likes this

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
I think Mr. Francis is doing a fine job raising his son, without everyone's unsolicited advice, as evidenced by the WSVN feature - Very cool Junior!

Not trying to defend anyone...just stating facts...and that headlight bucket was NOT in place at the NASA event.

Let's not muddy-up the character assasinations with facts, shall we.
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

Zauskycop

Zauskycop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:45

I think Mr. Francis is doing a fine job raising his son, without everyone's unsolicited advice, as evidenced by the WSVN feature - Very cool Junior!

We aren't doing the assasinating....we are just looking over the bullet wound :glare:
Tracy Ramsey
45 SM

Jim Platis

Jim Platis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Car Number:06

I am a cheater.

That was hard to type and even harder to imagine being the case before last Saturday. As a recent addition to the SM community, this is not what I had in mind for my coming out party. My car was the other car found to be non compliant during the initial tear down at the NASA FL event on Saturday. I will be the first to acknowledge that I am the one responsible for what is inside the car. I deserved to get DQ'ed for having a header that was blantantly massaged on the inside. That being said, I would have bet a significant amount of money just prior to removing the header that I was 100% legal. It is a new car to me and based on it's history I didn't think there would be any issues. Live and learn. I sincerly appreciate the effort that NASA FL put into the compliance testing this past weekend. I would much rather take the cheating beatdown at a local race among friends then six months down the road when I have much more time and money invested into a platform that I thought was good to go. Other than the whole cheating issue, it was a great weekend. Lots of drama and opportunities for emotional releases both good and bad. It was nice to get some crossover with the SCCA guys and get a feel for how far I need to go to be competitive. As someone relatively new to racing I've got no complaints about how i or anyone else was treated this weekend. The tech guys were extraordinarliy fair and helpful in helping me through this unpleasant event. Thanks to everyone who helped me get back on track after addressing my issues. (only one of which was cheater related)

I think John Edwards and I must both use Scott McKay as our public relations guy.

derik

Dude,

I always new you were a cheater. How else could you have beaten me all these years? :lol: The best part was you with a wrench in your hand I should have taken a picture.

Jim Platis

Jim Platis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

You did a great job this weekend and there is no doubt that you're going to continue to improve with both car prep and seat time. Your reaction and response to the technical infraction is exactly what many of us (Charb/Jamie/Myself and others) were hoping to hear from Breathless. Instead, we were all told to fudge off, threatened, and insulted because we questioned their legality.

See you at Sebring!

Alex,

You keep this up his head will get so big he will not be able to get in the car.

Jim Platis

Jim Platis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

sorry to tell you the francis crew no factor your in trouble when i come to mid ohio

by the way you bet on the wrong horsey lol

Andrew,

Nice meeting you this weekend, good time for everyone, NASA did a great job with tech I think it was needed desperatly. We should get together for a few beers with my brother some time.

tburas56

tburas56

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Region:South East
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:56

How is defending or playing stupid to cheating not mudding up anyones character?
I agree the video was very cool, but what happens if he was caught cheating that weekend? What would the producer do then?
Donor - Made PayPal donation SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner - World Challenge Winner - World Challenge Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Grand-Am Winner in a Mazda - Grand-Am Winner in a Mazda MX5 Cup Winner - Has won a Race in the MX5Cup.com Series We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

I agree the video was very cool, but what happens if he was caught cheating that weekend? What would the producer do then?

What all tv producers do, wing it with something else, or flip the script and report that right after the interview he was disqualified for a tech infraction.

K. Webb