JRHille

JRHille

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:48
Just installed new front calipers with clips and springs, made sure the slides were greased and all. I did leave the old pads, waiting for new ones to come in a few days. I still have a significant amount of drag only on the right front wheel. I can't spin it more than a few inches without constant pressure on the wheel.

The brakes were acting funny during the last race weekend, one or two turns a lap the pedal would go down much farther than normal. So I replaced the master cylinder as well.

The inner pad on the side that's dragging is worn almost twice as much as the outer, and they're both down to about nothing. Also noticed the pad compund was wearing at a slight angle. For the life of these pads I was not using the caliper clips.

Could the proportioning valve be bad? Wouldn't that also affect the rear brakes? (the rears have no drag). Could my spindle be slightly bent? Or maybe if I put fresh pads on it will fix the problem?

I don't want to have to replace everything, just hoping the pads will fix the issue. Any other ideas?? Would rather replace the proportioning valve before the spindle if that is more likely.

1999 Spec Miata
Hilltrux - Roush - V2 Motorsports - ESR

BFG Supertour Winner - SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
When you did the calipers who's did you use. I went through a bunch of NAPA calipers they were all crap.

Also did you only replace the caliper and not the bracket that it bolts too? Sometimes they get beat up, not likely but check it with the other side make sure it did not open up.

Drago has some good calipers that he does that is where I ended up.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE
Put the new pads in and see. If the old pads are as bad as you say they are not "flush" with the rotor and could very well be causing the drag.

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Region:WDC

Drago has some good calipers that he does that is where I ended up.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Did you file/clean up the pads and the brackets?
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

JRHille

JRHille

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Frank- I used Drago's calipers, brackets and all.

I'll see if the new pads fix the issue, thanks guys. If not, next step?

1999 Spec Miata

BFG Supertour Winner - SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

JRHille

JRHille

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
I did not file down anything, I'll make sure to do that as well.

1999 Spec Miata

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
what pads are you using?

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Nsparks

Nsparks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Car Number:#12

I'll see if the new pads fix the issue, thanks guys. If not, next step?

Give the car to me as it is clearly unfixable. I will see to it that the whole chassis is melted down.
  • AJ Roderick likes this

Nate Sparks 

2016 Global Mazda Invitational Champion

2016 MX-5 Cup Champion

2011 NASA SM National Champion
2010 13 Hour Winner
2009-2011 TMC East Coast Champion

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

JRHille

JRHille

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Jim- Carbotech XP-10's

Nate- Make sure you lock all your stuff at Mid-Ohio....

1999 Spec Miata

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Justin
See it sounds like something is olding pressure on the caliper? Not releasing brake pressures. Check free play on pedal, matser and prop valve
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

JRHille

JRHille

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
The only issue I am having is on the right front caliper, master cylinder was just replaced. Should I try bleeding the cylinder again?

1999 Spec Miata

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72
On any caliper that is painted or powder coated, which I think Jim's are, you need to remove the coating from any sliding surface. You also need to remove the coating from any bolt flange surface. Like under the bolt heads on the caliper bracket and also on the spindle side of the same bolt hole. Powder coating is worse than paint for this area. When it gets hot it will get soft, allowing the bolts to come loose.

I have seen this on new calipers with new bolts, The bolts are bent. While unscrewing the bolts, watch the caliper for movement caused by a bent pin. Replace the pins as needed.

If you have hydralic problems you can diagnose by simply opening the bleeder screw and see if the problem goes away. If pressure is remaining in the system, opening the bleeder will remove the pressure, thus allowing free spin.

I don't know about Carbotech's but Cobalt pads are designed to used without anti rattle clips. Hawks have a tendancy to have drips of paint on the slide tabs.

It is this type of attention to detail that seperate a front running car from a midpacker.

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
I would definately look for the problem rather than hope new pads make it go away. I had something very similar happen last year that got progressively worse. The pads wore at a severe angle front to back and the braking performance was awful. When they wear like that, they wear VERY quickly. I chewed up a set of carbos in 6 sessions and parts of them were cracking off in chunks. Not only could just about anyone out-brake me, it tended to lock up that wheel too and was murder on tires. That gets expensive. I sent mine off as cores when I bought new ones from Jim so I never found out what was wrong but it was a big enough issue that I essentially replaced my whole brake system to make sure it went away.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
Jim's bolt flange surfaces are clean but you have to clean up the brackets in the slide area, especially if you're not using the clips.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

JRHille

JRHille

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
This is why these forums are great and why the class is awesome.

It might be worth noting that I had the same drag issue on that corner before I changed calipers, master cylinder, etc. I don't think it got any worse but definitely not any better. I will try to do all of these things thanks guys :)

1999 Spec Miata

KentCarter

KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:91
The 'clips' are actually the bearing surfaces in which the pads slide. Without them, the pads can hang up and drag.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
As Wheeler indicated isolate the mechanicals form the hydraulics. Also isolate the hub bearings from the brake system. Take the pads out & spin the wheel.

Did you use synthetic grease?
  • Alberto likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

JRHille

JRHille

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Yes used synthetic grease.

The car is loaded up on the trailer right now but I will do more troubleshooting on Friday. It has been dragging like this for a while so if I can't fix it before the race I'm not losing anything....

1999 Spec Miata

JRHille

JRHille

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Hub spins perfectly with the pads out

1999 Spec Miata

Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
Something's bent

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users