plane

plane

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:71
Is there a caliper option between NAPA crap and Drago perfection?

Zauskycop

Zauskycop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:45
Did you say your greased the sliders? I assume you meant the pins, and not the external sliders that the brake pad sits on...don't grease those!
Tracy Ramsey
45 SM
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88

Drago sells calipers for $75. Schucks sells them for $60-70. Not a lot of room between that. Look at what they sell them for at Mazda Motorsports.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Number:88

Drago sells calipers for $75. Schucks sells them for $60-70. Not a lot of room between that. Look at what they sell them for at Mazda Motorsports.

Oh... and I'm pretty sure the ones from Schucks or NAPA don't come with the brackets.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Region:WDC

And the rears have the parking brake stuff removed.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE
You can't diagnose shot with the old pads in place!

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Not sure why you need ro want one in between, Drago brakes about same price as I remeber it...

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Number:99
HILLE, I had this problem at ATL... I has a very lightly warped rotor, turn the wheel all the way a round and see if it loosens up a bit in a spot or two on the rotor...

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

JRHille

JRHille

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Number:48
Pads fixed it :)
  • Killian likes this

1999 Spec Miata
Hilltrux - Roush - V2 Motorsports - ESR

BFG Supertour Winner - SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Dooh!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

AW33COM

AW33COM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Region:NE
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:78

On any caliper that is painted or powder coated, which I think Jim's are, you need to remove the coating from any sliding surface. You also need to remove the coating from any bolt flange surface. Like under the bolt heads on the caliper bracket and also on the spindle side of the same bolt hole. Powder coating is worse than paint for this area. When it gets hot it will get soft, allowing the bolts to come loose.

I have seen this on new calipers with new bolts, The bolts are bent. While unscrewing the bolts, watch the caliper for movement caused by a bent pin. Replace the pins as needed.

If you have hydralic problems you can diagnose by simply opening the bleeder screw and see if the problem goes away. If pressure is remaining in the system, opening the bleeder will remove the pressure, thus allowing free spin.

I don't know about Carbotech's but Cobalt pads are designed to used without anti rattle clips. Hawks have a tendancy to have drips of paint on the slide tabs.

It is this type of attention to detail that seperate a front running car from a midpacker.

Dave

Holy macaroni, talk about paying attention to details. I will paint my calipers tomorrow. Thanks god I read this.
Dave, I will buy from you only now that I learned so much :)

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Number:46
Back to the beginning...are you guys saying that if you lift the car and spin the wheels, you don't hear the pads rubbing on the rotor?

And is that correct that Cobalt pads shouldn't use the little clips in the caliper? Maybe I should remove mine.
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

GREAT! Thought they would :whistling:

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

Back to the beginning...are you guys saying that if you lift the car and spin the wheels, you don't hear the pads rubbing on the rotor?

And is that correct that Cobalt pads shouldn't use the little clips in the caliper? Maybe I should remove mine.

Cobalt = no clips
Pads rubbing calipers should be minimal if any.
Since Cobalts don't run the springs that hold the pads back you may hear more rubbing with the Cobalts.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

I don't know about Carbotech's but Cobalt pads are designed to used without anti rattle clips. Hawks have a tendancy to have drips of paint on the slide tabs.

It is this type of attention to detail that seperate a front running car from a midpacker.

Dave

Speaking as a Carbotech user I can say the paint they use for their backing plates does not appear to interfere in any operation of the pad.
And for full-disclosure, I use the clips (inserted into the caliper bracket) & springs (inserted into the pads) on my 1996 (notice the OP is a NA1.6).

I may not have the fancy blueprinted hubs for free MPH down the front straight but I've not experienced any odd side-specific brake issues on the front of my car.
:king:

As Mr. Wheeler has suggested, if you've chased enough parts already, undoing the bleeder will allow any residual pressure to be released as you spin the wheel.

HTH,
Brandon
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users