Photo

Shot Peening Cranks allowed and Sleeving Cylinders now extended past runoffs???????

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Thanks for the feedback JD -
One more question - is this someone we would expect to see attending the runoffs?

I'm the bad guy here. Rest assured that had the rule stayed as it was, I would not have participated at the Runoffs on principle alone. While I understand that there was a desire to remove the sleeve option by the SCCA SMAC and CRB, I was quite pissed when I saw the rule published that sleeves would not be legal after July of this year with less than a full season's notice. In the spring of '11 I had invested in a new motor which had a sleeved blocked, a legal rebuild procedure at that time. I had sent 2 used engines to my engine builder and he told me that I had 1 good crank and 2 good heads to work with. He said the bores in the 150K street car block and the 4 season old Sunbelt bottom end which had lost much oil pressure were both not in good shape. My options then were to source another used block and hope it was good, buy a crate bottom end (or complete motor) or spend an extra $800-$900 to have one of the blocks sleeved. I chose the sleeve option.

When the rule allowing sleeves was changed I was really caught off guard as never in Fastrack was it posted that the sleeve option would be eliminated. I had given input on the overbore rule but never in that input addressed the sleeves. When the rule changed I chose to keep my feelings mostly private amongst the SM crowd and made more than 1 attempt to have the timing on the expiration of my engine addressed. I really felt it was a poor decision by the club to tell an amateur competitor that an expensive component like an engine had to be shelved after such short notice and including the championship chase for which a lot of time, effort and money would be spent. Had my request been denied, for sure I would have waged a 1 man protest and skipped the Runoffs (not that anyone else would give a rats ass if I was there or not).

Some have the budget to buy a new engine every year or even more often than that. Not that I need anyone throw a fundraiser for me, but having 2 kids in college at the same time and running a business with 12 employees leaves only so much time and dispensable income for racing too. My choices earlier this year were to address this head-on with both SCCA and NASA, bite the bullet and buy another expensive engine or keep quiet about it because probably nobody would ever know. I chose the first option and would have lived with whatever decision was made. I appreciate that both organizations listened to my argument and made it possible for me to recover at least a larger portion of my investment than would have been possible otherwise.
  • dstevens and Armando Ramirez like this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

Do you have an otherwise good block that can't be fixed with a .040 overbore, Dave? While I do get your logic, I just can't see it making a practical difference.

It's got a sleeve in the #4 hole. I'm speaking of those that already have sleeves. Sleeving for performance gain is tricky stuff. In bikes or other single cylinder (or even 2 cylinder) there can be some gains. That's why in many classes you have to get an entire new jug as they don't do overbore for race bikes or karts. I was in an open 125cc class and we couldn't sleeve. It was one of the few things we couldn't do.

I applaud Tom for taking the initiative and writing the letter. When I voiced my concerns to Jim he suggested I write a letter but with things the way have been this year, I don't know when or at this point if I can come back and race so I'm not real motivated. We'll see what happens.

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39
Tom

thanks for the full disclosure. Much appreciated. Whose engine are you using?

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Tom

thanks for the full disclosure. Much appreciated. Whose engine are you using?

I don't think it's important to mention the engine builder. See you in September. Who knows, we might be working together on the track then.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
No problem Tom. See you at Road America

Danny
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72
I liked the rule as originally written. In the long run it will be cost saving. In the short term it was going to cost a handfull of drivers some cash IF they wanted to compete legally at the Runoffs. Sorry Tom, but I agree with Danny, this should not have been changed this late in the game.

Knowing Tom, he would not have competed at the Runoffs with a sleeved block. Not in protest of his request being turned down. But because he is way to ethical to compete with a non compliant car. Even if the chances where zero of him being caught, he would know. And that alone would stop him from competing.

Kudos to Jim and Tom for coming out with full disclosure.

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
JD

Possibly you and others can shed some light on this. The word on the street is that the shot peening is easily used to disguise the practice of lightening the cranks. Apparently the oil transfer holes are drilled out beyond their dimensions, the drilled hole is then welded up, the correct diameter oil transfer hole drilled, the weld ground flush and then the surface shot peened to make it look like OEM. Any truth to this practice?

When is the last time a bottom end was taken out at the Runoffs and measured? There were several stories that circulated from years past of an engine observed with ground lobes.

Is this something we should specifically request that tech take a look at this year? Our recommendations last year seemed to be a step in the right direction.

Danny

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
Boy that sure seams like a lot of work for a plastic trophy. I just wonder how much weight could actually be taken out of the crank? don't they just weight the crank and it has to be a min. wt, if so then you could never get below the min. wt limits.
  • dstevens likes this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
JD

Possibly you and others can shed some light on this. The word on the street is that the shot peening is easily used to disguise the practice of lightening the cranks. Apparently the oil transfer holes are drilled out beyond their dimensions, the drilled hole is then welded up, the correct diameter oil transfer hole drilled, the weld ground flush and then the surface shot peened to make it look like OEM. Any truth to this practice?

First
Apparently the oil transfer holes are drilled out beyond their dimensions, the drilled hole is then welded up, the correct diameter oil transfer hole drilled, the weld ground flush and then the surface shot peened to make it look like OEM. Any truth to this practice?

What would the gain be here? You most likely got your wires crossed with whomever mentioned this to you on the street. Let me make sure I understand.... You are going to drill a hole out, weld it closed and redrill to the same dimension? Have you ever tried drilling through a weld? Good luck there... :bash: I assume you are saying drill out and only re drill the outer dimensions to the same dimension as it was originally? Why would you shot peen this to hide? This in the center of the machined journal? When a crank is ground, it would be hide the weld in the journal if done correctly, no need to shot peen to camouflage. Furthermore, what would it accomplish? The oil is under pressure, the volume is limited to the orifice size? The larger inner diameter on the crank would do ZERO. As far as weight, it remove next to none and in a terrible spot that makes little sense

As far as lightening the cranks... There is a minimum weight for cranks in the GCR. If your asking how "I" would camouflage lightening the crank, that half ass method you described certainly would not be it. I would turn the outer most edge of the crank lobes on a lathe, That would take off any unwanted weight in the best possible place, it would also take it off in an area that is already machined ( no need to shot peen to camouflage).. It would also take off weight where there is no spec in the rules to the diameter of the crank. Your method accomplishes little to nothing, mine is completely hidden, impossible to detect( dare I say 100% tech shed legal) and most importantly removes weight from the BEST possible place, the outer most edge of the crank. The fact is that the cranks are already very close to min weight and the few ounces you could remove amount to nothing and not worth the trouble IMO. Next question?

You have a great relationship with a guy I respect in Mike Rossini,. Why don't you ask him to take a junk crank, grind on it where he shouldn't then shot peen. it will look just like it did before, obviously ground on. That is the best way for you to "know" what you suspect "others" may be doing.

When is the last time a bottom end was taken out at the Runoffs and measured? There were several stories that circulated from years past of an engine observed with ground lobes.

Every year except 2010? Last year several were taken apart and inspected and weighed.

Lastly, I think I have been VERY forthcoming with you and your program, offered a lot of help to your program when no one else would or should etc. As I have told you privately, it is important to me that all programs are close for the benefit of the class. I think you are starting to take this stuff and yourself way too seriously.

It seems to me that much of your concern is to do with me, or engines that came from here. I trust Mike 100%, if you want to see the inside of my engine, just say the word. You can have Mike take a look after the Runoffs( really any time next year as well), you pay the labor and gaskets, we will install no charge. He can look for sleeves, crank modifications and whatever else you are concerned with. Not sure how I could be any more forthcoming. You say when, we are ready.

Is this something we should specifically request that tech take a look at this year? Our recommendations last year seemed to be a step in the right direction.

I don't think so as they do it every year anyway? You can send John Bauer an email and tell him your concerns, he is the head of tech and will be doing SM tech again this year.
Jim
  • David L likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
Danny, maybe you should ask the right questions!

How many peeps on the rules committee?

How many are engine builders?

What was everyones vote?

You dont liek it when anyone says anythign derogitory about your sponsors, or anything that could even be even remotly interprited as derogitry especially your engine builder buddy

You seem quick to paint someone else as a the cheat, before you even ask the right questions. I know you know Jim's cell number if you really needed these answers, but instead you singled one person from the rules committee who happens to be a engine guy and put all the onus of explanations on him.

Seems like Hypocricy to me!!!!!! Not sure what you are trying to accomplish here, I certainly would never go about it the way you have. Unless the goal is to inflame some of your competitors, and cast suspicions that arent even warrented.

K. Webb