Todd Tagget

Todd Tagget

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:42
I'll be getting there on Friday AM for Trackmasters ... where do all the SM's typically park together? Since it's my first race I want to be close to others for the social aspect
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88
Jerry should send you a email with paddock layout. It's different than SCCA in pregrid location. SM are usually from pregrid entrance down the front wall to the flag stand.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Todd Tagget

Todd Tagget

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
Thanks J !!

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
I will be coming up Sat to bring some parts and hang out...if anyone else needs something PM me.

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ryoung99

ryoung99

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Region:NorCal; SFR
  • Car Number:14
Tom,

I will be there as well all three days.

See you soon,
Rick

trekkor

trekkor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
Looking forward to the weekend.
I'll be supporting Todd in #42 until I get my own license...

KT
Crew for Todd Tagget #42 ( future co-driver! )
Let me set your tile!~ http://www.willstile.com

Duncan

Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
I'll be there on Friday as well. It's only my second time at Thunderhill so I need the practice.

Duncan
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

gkmccready

gkmccready

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Region:SFR/NorCal
  • Car Number:4

I'll be there on Friday as well. It's only my second time at Thunderhill so I need the practice.

I'm there Friday-Sunday as well. Red #4 PTE Miata. (Not SM.)

How many of you SM folks are going to Supersize in to PT?

ryoung99

ryoung99

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

How many of you SM folks are going to Supersize in to PT?

Not me, or not just yet. Given the fine folks at NASA had a momentary lapse in judgement and gave me a provisional, the first couple of events I do will just be in SM. I like what time the last race is on Sunday, it will let me get home in time to spend some quality time with the kids. Once I get my rookie strip off and become adjusted to the race day (and have a second car in the trailer incase something goes wrong), then we will run with you in PT.

We will be in the 14s SM.

Rick

Todd Tagget

Todd Tagget

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
I"m going to supersize. I have my provisional too but want to get my 4 races under my belt so I can hang with the SCCA guys too. My game plan is to hang at the back of the pack and stay out of trouble and the way of the fast guys..
I'll be in the green and white/silver #42

ryoung99

ryoung99

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
The SCCA folks made it pretty clear to me they did not care if I raced with them or not, so it will just be NASA for me. I have appreciated the time they spent with me, issuing a provisional based on 32 years of racing experience (the SCCA did not think I had enough experience).

In fact the guy at the SCCA told me that running a 350 hp, 800 pound midget or a 800 hp 1300 pound sprint car meant nothing from an experience perspective on a road coarse, for some reason I would believe that Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, Ryan Newman, and others would disagree, but hey what do they know.

Anyways I appreciated the guys at NASA looking at that bigger picture and giving this old guy a chance to prove dirt racing experience counts for something.
  • john mueller likes this

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

The SCCA folks made it pretty clear to me they did not care if I raced with them or not, so it will just be NASA for me. I have appreciated the time they spent with me, issuing a provisional based on 32 years of racing experience (the SCCA did not think I had enough experience).

In fact the guy at the SCCA told me that running a 350 hp, 800 pound midget or a 800 hp 1300 pound sprint car meant nothing from an experience perspective on a road coarse, for some reason I would believe that Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, Ryan Newman, and others would disagree, but hey what do they know.

Anyways I appreciated the guys at NASA looking at that bigger picture and giving this old guy a chance to prove dirt racing experience counts for something.

Rick, my guess is what you got from SCCA was 1 persons opinion(agree or disagree)...but I believe there are specific guidelines that are in place before SCCA issues a license which was the real factor. The NASA model(profit) and SCCA model(club)do work differently no doubt. I'm glad NASA made it easier for you to get on track in a race situation quickly. When you're ready for more Miata's and less BMW's we(SM community)will gladly welcome you with open arms...despite 1 officials opinion :D BTW...all kidding aside, I think both organizations in our region do a good job. Some drivers do both, some have switched from one to the other, and some have never left the one they started with. ;)

Good luck with your first weekend...will stop by and say hi.
  • Alberto likes this

Ron

RAmotorsports

ryoung99

ryoung99

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
Ron,

I know, I am just acting like a baby. Heck I will race with anyone if it works with my schedule, although NASA has me for now based on the number of races they have at Infineon. Heck I do not really even want to drive up to Thunderhill, but I am dying to race this little thing. The real question is what will the weather do? If it is 100+ I might have to put off my SM debut until the Infineon race at the end of September, yes I am that guy. I did not used to be, but I am now.

Hope to see you and if you are there just to watch you are more than welcome to come to the #14s pit and give this "rookie" advice, I never turn it down.

Putting the Torsen diff in tomorrow night, thanks again.

Rick

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
Rick,

Now that you have your NASA license, that will get you your SCCA license without the drama. At least that is what they told me.

James
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ryoung99

ryoung99

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
James,

All I have is a provisional, will they honor that?

Also, does anyone know if I can get the car teched for a new logbook at the track or do I need to get it to someone before Friday?

Turns out I will be there regardless of how hot it gets. My crew chief chewed me out this morning for being a wuss and told me we are going racing. Even have a driving coach coming along on Saturday and Sunday to chirp in my ear.

Thanks again,
Rick

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

James,

All I have is a provisional, will they honor that?

Also, does anyone know if I can get the car teched for a new logbook at the track or do I need to get it to someone before Friday?

Turns out I will be there regardless of how hot it gets. My crew chief chewed me out this morning for being a wuss and told me we are going racing. Even have a driving coach coming along on Saturday and Sunday to chirp in my ear.

Thanks again,
Rick

Tech.
http://www.nasanorca...ction_info_tech

Us wusses have cool suits :tipsy:
I'm out, cars not ready.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
Rick,

I think they will. Especially in consideration of your background. Even if they don't, you can ditch your NASA rookie license after two race weekends (assuming no contact or race incidents), and then submit your Comp License to SCCA. My experience is that both organizations really want you to be racing and if you reach out them (not that you haven't), they will help to find a way to get you in the race.

Personally, I would not attempt tech on Saturday. The NASA officials here in the west are great. I know they would try to tech you on a race day, but if for some reason you missed something they want, you have a much better chance of fixing it a day before the race. That way you have a much much better chance of honoring your crews very correct direction to just get out there and race! And it seems that I am always rushing on race day, regardless of how much I have prepped the days before.

That said, I stressed over tech way more than I needed too. As long as you have done your homework on what they want, it should be a breeze and you will be done in 30 minutes.

Wish we were coming up there this weekend. Would have liked to meet you in person. Hopefully we will get the chance in the near future. Good Luck this weekend.

J
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Todd Tagget

Todd Tagget

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
Rick,
I know that Evil Genius will be there to support one of their racers and the mechanic that is coming is a certified NASA inspector. He'll be there at 6 am on Sat..

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
Rick, you bought log booked cars correct? Just need an annual? They certainly do this in SCCA and I believe NASA also. But to be sure shoot an email to NASA. Maybe Dean(Thomas) will see this and chime in.

Ron

RAmotorsports

Todd Tagget

Todd Tagget

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
ok not to hijack this thread, (oh wait it's my thread!!!).. so NASA only says CCW and full course,, is that the by pass or the crows nest config ??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users