Thunderhill Aug 18 and 19

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

Duncan

Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
Had a great time this weekend. I ran my fastest time at Thunderhill (only my second time there) of a 2:07.3xx. My data suggests that I had a possible best of 2:06.5xx so I know I can go much faster if I put together a more consistent lap. Huge thanks to Jaime for the driving tips and both Dean and Jamie for some setup advice.

On the downside my motor is beginning to burn a little more oil than I'd like. The head is new so I might be looking at a new shortblock this winter.

Already looking forward to Infineon in a few weeks.

-Duncan
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

trekkor

trekkor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
We worked hard to get the car back for Sunday.
Thanks for the help, advice and parts, gang!

Turns out the passenger side strut top is 1 inch closer to the fire wall than the driver's side.
Once we got it on the ground it had about three inches of toe out.

Only suspension damage was the lower control arm and sway bar drop link.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

KT
Crew for Todd Tagget #42 ( future co-driver! )
Let me set your tile!~ http://www.willstile.com

trekkor

trekkor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
The car:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks to all that stopped by to chat with us after the off.

KT

Jaime Florence

Jaime Florence

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:96
KT,

Let me qualify this a little bit...I am definately no expert...but in my opinion you should consider changing the upright, wheel hub and lower ball joint as well. (somebody stop me if I'm off base here) There was obviously significant energy sent through that corner. The parts are pretty cheap and it's good insurance that you'll have a solid alingment and a safe car afterwards. Also, you should check (or have Evil Genius check) the front sub-frame...but one might assume that will be checked in the frame streightening work...but double check that.

Also, it might be worth the investment to have that shock dyno'd to make sure it isn't going to act up. There are shops at Sears Point that can do that for you for $15.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Region:NorCal
Agree 100% with Jaime. If the shock tower moved, the subframe bent with it. The SMALLEST bend in a subframe will have you chasing alignment problems forever. Ask me how I know.

Former driver

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Todd Tagget

Todd Tagget

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:42
well it's at E.G and I just spoke to them ,, they should know more this afternoon..

Hey Jamie thanks again for the help at least we turned it into a roller before the end of the day Sat..

Oh and PM me your phone number will you? I'm already working on hooking you up with a replacement part..

trekkor

trekkor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
So, it looks like replacing the entire right front assembly would be the way to go.

Good call.

KT

Jaime Florence

Jaime Florence

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:96
That was a dream weekend for me. Man, it's really nice when things go perfectly as planned and having no drama.

I want to thank TFB Performance and particularly Charlie for a magic setup! The car rolled off the trailer and was simply perfect.

Big thanks to you Dean for all the time and effort you put towards improving our class. Sometimes we forget to thank you, I'm sure.

Whomever decided to let us start in front of the E-30s deserved a big thank you as well! I thought things went much, much smoother like this. No big incidents and only one momentary yellow flag (that I saw) all weekend. Could it be that it makes more sense from a vehicle performance characteristic point of view to allow the Miatas to start in front of the E30's??? Maybe this weekends reduced incidents could lead to us starting in front regardless of car count (or as long as we have at least 12 or something) ??
  • Charlie Hayes likes this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Car Year:1990
Todd,

Holy frickin ouch that sux.

I hate the bypass turn at Thill. Much prefer to go over the hill at 5. I've only done the bypass once before a month or so ago running with NCRC. Same thing almost happened to me. I couldn't get that turn right all day and had a few tank slappers and sliding sideways toward the outside like you did. Seeing what happened to you, I'm glad I didn't push the issue on that day.

For those that don't know, that "corner" is completely blind and you usually get air at the crest - at the very least the suspension is completely unloaded. Then you come down hard on the suspension and that can cause a slide. Did for me anyway.

Good luck getting it back together.

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

So, it looks like replacing the entire right front assembly would be the way to go.

Good call.

KT

Add another vote for that. Here is my experience fixing bent front end parts and a bent front subframe. PM me if you have any questions.
http://blog.miataracer.com/2012/01/fixing-damage.html#!/2012/01/fixing-damage.html

gkmccready

gkmccready

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Region:SFR/NorCal
  • Car Number:4

For those that don't know, that "corner" is completely blind and you usually get air at the crest - at the very least the suspension is completely unloaded. Then you come down hard on the suspension and that can cause a slide. Did for me anyway.

Thunder Roadster and I were trying to get by a Firebird (?) in Sunday morning's PT warmup session... Roadster crested the bypass on the right side of the track where the big dip is and got a little sideways and then completely spun... he was spinning to the right, so I went left/kept going straight as soon as I had some weight back on the wheels after I crested the hill... I don't think he held the brake and ended up rolling back across the track and took me square in the passenger side door/rocker... thankfully missed the rear wheel outside of a small cut on the tire... my brand new, first session, scrubbing it in tire... :-(

Roadster driver said the Firebird checked up and that caused him to tap the brake... in an already loose car, and going over that part of the bypass where the dip is... *sigh* I don't even think he had a scratch on his rear "bumper."

Attached Files

Todd Tagget

Todd Tagget

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
I saw that spin,, thought there was going to be more carnage,, glad you got out ok

gkmccready

gkmccready

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Region:SFR/NorCal
  • Car Number:4

I saw that spin,, thought there was going to be more carnage,, glad you got out ok

All credit to TC Design & Mazda for building me a safe, solid car... and a lot of luck for getting hit right in the door and not in a wheel... and the hit didn't make it to the cage... It has got me thinking about a RaceTech 4009HR seat, though. Right now I'm in an UltraShield with a poured insert. I don't remember hitting the left side of my helmet on the roll cage padding, but I'd be shocked if I didn't.

FWIW, driver of the #24 Roadster was super apologetic about the situation... to me it was just one of those racing deals, bummer it happened in warmup, but I did manage to finish Sunday out... I managed to find a red door and fender today that I'll go pick up tomorrow...
  • Alberto likes this

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
Hey Glen - That'll buff out! <_< :D You now look like you're in a front running car.
Glad it wasn't worse.

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
Oh man Todd...I think the ditch/trench was the worst part :o That took any control right away from you...now I understand how you got as far as you did. I've never been out walking the track in this area...always wondered why this is there? Jamie is right...parts are cheap and no point in using anything in this corner again.

Duncan...many like a little smoke ;) Unless your HP suddenly drops I wouldn't worry...oil is cheap :D

Glen...knock on metal! Easy fix!

For those who were interested in who was driving Randy Evans car,,,here you go! http://www.frisselleracing.com/

Brian btw in SM I believe. After the first race he was all smiles and just kept saying..."I couldn't believe when they kept getting back on the throttle...was so counter intuitive"

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Duncan

Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
Looks like Thunderhill has also cost me another windshield. There's a big almost quarter size chunk right in the center. I didn't notice it when I loaded the car, so the drive home must have caused what started as a small chip to expand.

Duncan
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Joe (dad) Jordan

Joe (dad) Jordan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Region:San Diego
  • Car Number:47
Well we had an awful weekend.... made it a total of 7 laps. We drove 600 miles each way for those 7 laps!

Oh well as a told my son Racing is a cruel sport. Live and learn!

Joe Jordan the turd.....Joey is IV or quatro!

Ran in Firestone Firehawk in a Miata in 1994

Speedvision Cup Miata's 95-99

World Challenge Miata in 2000 AT MRLS

Had 3 Rookie of the year winners "Rising Stars" In IMSA

Kids now racing...Started them in Lemons Miata we built into the 2013 Western Division SCCA Majors Champion!

6th at 50th SCCA Runoffs in SM OPM's Rental 01

2nd fastest race lap at the Runoffs.

2014 Teen Mazda Challenge (west) Champ!

2015 Pirelli World Challenge Round 15 Winner in TCB and round 16,17,and 18 Winner!

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Looks like Thunderhill has also cost me another windshield. There's a big almost quarter size chunk right in the center. I didn't notice it when I loaded the car, so the drive home must have caused what started as a small chip to expand.

Duncan

Best I've seen is $139=tax (quoted) mobile service on Craigs List.
If you can do better let me know I need one too.
http://sfbay.craigsl...3219956274.html
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Todd Tagget

Todd Tagget

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
Update,,,
Spoke with Evil Genius.. the russians say they can straighten it good as new!!! Only costing me $800 plus alignment.. Meeting with them in the morning!
  • ryoung99 likes this

Duncan

Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
Good news Todd.

Here's my video from Sunday. Qualifying and Race.

Duncan
  • trekkor likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users