Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

:-) (I did laugh out loud with this. I'm sorry I'm not Texan, but at least I _am_ from "a whole other country" too)

Congrats on the win!!!

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Feexxxed

Psst .... Ebay Item number: 380467796912 :cheers:

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

Yiannis Tsiounis

Yiannis Tsiounis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Congrats on the win!!!

Thanks!

midohioracefan

midohioracefan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Region:USA
  • Car Year:3001
  • Car Number:666
As a reporter on motorsports - I like to watch close races. The use of FCY's in the race was outstanding. As a racer you should be aware of the risks inherrent with racing, and the associated body damage that can happen to your racecar. This isn't vintage racing.

I was there with all of you at the drivers meeting, and the race director was absolutely up front to expect it. I commend him for doing this. I was unable to talk with him for the reasoning, however I assume it would have to do with the fact this race will be televised tape delayed.

So with the above statement, all of you should be thrilled that you had a race WORTH watching because of those flags. You guys in your cars were unable to see what I saw. First the fans at the track were GLUED to your race. Just when the field started to spread out they started to walk away, and then there was a caution, and back they came. I watched every race all weekend long, and no other race group put on the show you the Spec Miata racers have put on.

If you are trying to grow your race series, look at this race as a prime example of exactly how to do it. You guys were the talk of the media(yes we all share notes). Instead of watching a bunch of racers just lappig there were battles upfront, in the middle and at the back of the field, which meant everyone was engaged. Thats real racing, and the kind that draws eyes to the sport and writers to pick up their pens.

The last 2 laps of the race provided incredible drama which can only be described as the epic finish, a battle for the lead, top 3 changing and more. You can't buy a better story to be part of.

I would urge some caution on who is to blame for the safety truck. Every event and track has different protocols for dispatching safety vehicles, and who handles those calls. I can't speculate on who/why/what but I am sure its not a simple answer.

I tip my hat to all of you for a spectacular race. I commend NASA for its decision to use FCY's - For those who did not watch the first race of the day, I think this likely was a factor for the decision. There was an incident in the carousel with a safety worker on the ground, and another car spinning right there might have been the impetus.
  • screaming monkey likes this

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
I was wondering what happened to Humpy Wheeler. :scratchchin:
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

As a reporter on motorsports - I like to watch close races. The use of FCY's in the race was outstanding. As a racer you should be aware of the risks inherrent with racing, and the associated body damage that can happen to your racecar. This isn't vintage racing.

I was there with all of you at the drivers meeting, and the race director was absolutely up front to expect it. I commend him for doing this. I was unable to talk with him for the reasoning, however I assume it would have to do with the fact this race will be televised tape delayed.

So with the above statement, all of you should be thrilled that you had a race WORTH watching because of those flags. You guys in your cars were unable to see what I saw. First the fans at the track were GLUED to your race. Just when the field started to spread out they started to walk away, and then there was a caution, and back they came. I watched every race all weekend long, and no other race group put on the show you the Spec Miata racers have put on.

If you are trying to grow your race series, look at this race as a prime example of exactly how to do it. You guys were the talk of the media(yes we all share notes). Instead of watching a bunch of racers just lappig there were battles upfront, in the middle and at the back of the field, which meant everyone was engaged. Thats real racing, and the kind that draws eyes to the sport and writers to pick up their pens.

The last 2 laps of the race provided incredible drama which can only be described as the epic finish, a battle for the lead, top 3 changing and more. You can't buy a better story to be part of.

I would urge some caution on who is to blame for the safety truck. Every event and track has different protocols for dispatching safety vehicles, and who handles those calls. I can't speculate on who/why/what but I am sure its not a simple answer.

I tip my hat to all of you for a spectacular race. I commend NASA for its decision to use FCY's - For those who did not watch the first race of the day, I think this likely was a factor for the decision. There was an incident in the carousel with a safety worker on the ground, and another car spinning right there might have been the impetus.

don't know your name race fan, i am glad we provided some good entertainment. My personal opinion, i think the use of a FCY should be based 100% on a safety considerations and not on the use for Media or other Spectacle considerations.

I am not saying you cannot have both, and I have no opinion about what happened at the race either way, as it was not a factor where I was running, just saying there is risk both ways going to FCY. Wrecks happen if there is a danger on the track and wrecks happen on restarts. The Number one consideration should always be safety. period.
  • screaming monkey likes this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

midohioracefan

midohioracefan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

don't know your name race fan, i am glad we provided some good entertainment. My personal opinion, i think the use of a FCY should be based 100% on a safety considerations and not on the use for Media or other Spectacle considerations.

I am not saying you cannot have both, and I have no opinion about what happened at the race either way, as it was not a factor where I was running, just saying there is risk both ways going to FCY. Wrecks happen if there is a danger on the track and wrecks happen on restarts. The Number one consideration should always be safety. period.

The use of FCY's or Competition Yellows is a often debated subject. Danger in racing is there, that's exactly why racing is exciting. It's why extreme sports have explosive growth, and mundane sports which are safe in nature are not growing.

Do I agree that wrecks happen on restarts? Having covered more than 2000 races I can tell you its not a restart only area. But more specifically to your point about safety. I would have to stand by NASA then. The racers running in the Championships are not professionals, with spotters and such. Given the aforementioned spin, the safety for the unprotected has to be of the utmost in concern, and thus I think your argument on the use of FCY's is valid, but not fully vetted.
  • FTodaro likes this

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79
FCY, should be used, only for safety reasons, and not to artificially create a more exciting finish, IMHO :nonono:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

midohioracefan

midohioracefan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

FCY, should be used, only for safety reasons, and not to artificially create a more exciting finish, IMHO :nonono:

So much speculation...

Do we know for certain that corners workers reported the driver gave the OK?
Do we know if the corner workers reported any smoke?
I saw earlier in this post someone saw a car go off in that exact area... Would you like to be the guy who repeats that and hits that stopped car vs just an off road excursion? Remember a car off safe by most standards is behind a wall or pit box, not off the side of the track...
  • john mueller likes this

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
midohioracefan, why did the white roofed car hit the red truck at the exit of the Carousel?
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

midohioracefan, why did the white roofed car hit the red truck at the exit of the Carousel?

Dave, what are you getting at here? Don't you mean to ask: "Why was there a safety truck on the grass right next to the track and a flag not being shown?"

Answer:
  • It would take about 1 second for the truck to get in that location from where it normally sits during the race (behind the wall near pit entrance).
  • The truck was on it's way to the T1 accident when a bunch of cars showed-up, so it stopped for us to go by.
  • Eight cars entered the Carousel (mine being #8) just as the truck was dispatched to T1, we were already past the flag station.
  • Stuff happened and it got hit by car #73.
  • Next question...

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

So much speculation...

Do we know for certain that corners workers reported the driver gave the OK?
Do we know if the corner workers reported any smoke?
I saw earlier in this post someone saw a car go off in that exact area... Would you like to be the guy who repeats that and hits that stopped car vs just an off road excursion? Remember a car off safe by most standards is behind a wall or pit box, not off the side of the track...

Just to be clear, and I thought I was, and I think Pat's comment mirrors mine, the COMMENT was not meant to be specific to this race or this FCY, but a general comment based upon the notion that a Yellow could be used to bunch a field for media value.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:26
Hey Midohioracefan, welcome to Spec Miata racing.

As an experienced race reporter I'm surprised you haven't experienced the same level of excitement at other Spec Miata races. I'm not sure how a FCY has played out in the other Spec Miata races you have report on but it usually does not influence the results.

As you know this is one of the most competitive classes in road racing. I'm sure you are aware many former Spec Miata racers have moved on to professional racing. Some of those racers do occasionally race with amateur Spec Miata racers.

It is great to know the Spec Miata community has a following with the media. Thank you for helping to spread the word of this great racing class.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
I could throw some rollbar padding on the track or something if it would help.
  • CruzanTom likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79
I, in no way was implying that NASA threw the FCY to make the race more exciting, but I felt Mr, Midohioracefan, was implying that or atleast IMHO encouraging the FCY because the race was televised and the fans had started to leave watching the race.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

midohioracefan

midohioracefan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I, in no way was implying that NASA threw the FCY to make the race more exciting, but I felt Mr, Midohioracefan, was implying that or atleast IMHO encouraging the FCY because the race was televised and the fans had started to leave watching the race.

FCY's and racing have pro's and con's
1) Stretched out fields lose fans interest. Pro for FCY
2) A leader can have his monster lead erased Pro for Local
3) Safety for drivers and safety crews Pro for FCY
4) Bunched up field could cause more incidents - Pro for Local
5) Bunched up field creates more excitement - Pro for FCY
6) Advertising dollars from commericals - Pro for FCY
7) More TV time for more drivers - Pro for FCY
8) FCY's can significantly alter a final race result - Pro for local

I've been on both sides of this debate. However I can tell you from a writers only perspective, you guys denting your cars, and battling it out in a close race, vs you guys bending sheet metal for a not so close race, I have more interesting and engaging writing I can do for the former then the latter.

midohioracefan

midohioracefan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Why did white roof come in contact with another car right before hitting the safety vehicle. Wouldn't this be a question best directed to the driver?

midohioracefan

midohioracefan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I am not implying NASA did it for TV, I'm am saying that from my perspective this made for some great writing about the battles both at the front, but mid-pack and even the back of the pack. Also I will tell you the speed channel folks were there, and this race was in their opinion one of the best races they have seen for a Championship race. Better then the SCCA's championship races have been.

When you can write about everything from a failed attempt to take the lead in the closing moments, to guys making up 6-7 spots in a dramatic fashion (*granted due to the incident) it's stories which everyone can connect with.

I'm sure a few guys came to the Nationals to just run, but for at least 15-20 of you, there were dreams of winning.

midohioracefan

midohioracefan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

As an experienced race reporter I'm surprised you haven't experienced the same level of excitement at other Spec Miata races. I'm not sure how a FCY has played out in the other Spec Miata races you have report on but it usually does not influence the results.

Keith - Some say it could... but the fact it makes the racing even closer, makes for a more exciting race. I've reported on about 20-30 SM races (pro & am) I can tell you every writer walks away when the race gets spread thin. Which is why I loved this race. Just when it was getting boring, from a story perspective since guys had settled in, it became the most exciting race.

midohioracefan

midohioracefan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Can someone answer this?

1) Who was is the SD for SM at the Championships
2) Who was the RD for SM at the Championships

However I would love to get feedback on what you the racers felt....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users