plane

plane

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:71
I am all for using the same Tire as NASA (althought I do mostly SCCA events) as I think in keep the group larger. The rain tire is a naissue, but less so for us in CA as 90% of our racing is dry. You keep a set until April, unmount them and run slicks the rest of the year, then mount them up agian in November.

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:12
Current plan is to watch and see how the ITA guys get on with them at Laguna. I'm hoping someone will run them in the Enduro so we can see lap times over the course of several hours?? Number of heat cycles and speed over a long stint are not the same but it will still be good data points. I think one good thing about the RA1 is that as it wears down past the point where you might not be able to run a full 30 minute race on them, you can get a pretty good number of short qualifying sessions out of them so maybe not much distance but lots of cycles. The Hoosier in contrast is more heat-cycle dependent than wear-dependent (judging at least from Sonoma)

As stated, if shaving the RR1 proves to be an advantage, it will be done and will increase costs. It didn't turn out to be an advantage for the Hoosier but that's not to say it wouldn't be on the Toyo.

I'd prefer to stay on the same tire as NASA but I am nervous about switching to an unknown. Unknown durability, unknown availability, unknown consistency for drivers from the back to the front, etc. We need to see some pretty convincing data over the next couple of months to make the change for 2013. It's almost certain we'll be on something different in 2014 but we want to make sure we don't make racing more expensive next year in our haste to find a "better" tire.

Let me throw out an idea... anyone willing to throw $50-100 in a pot that we could use to do a tire test? Bring out a couple of cars from each generation and with drivers of different skill level. Use the money (and work with AIM/Toyo) to buy a few sets of tires and we can switch drivers and tires across the cars and compare data? If we can also grab some used RR1s from Laguna in various states of usage, we could get samples from new to old tires and make some estimates on heat cycles. Whatever we come up with is what we do for 2013?

(Note, I just brainstormed this, so it's an idea at this point)
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
Since the cat is out of the bag with NASA I'm sure some of the pre-lim data will become available...Mueller?? I can't imagine NASA is going to agree to this tire for 2013 without some form of supply commitment...my guess is that and price are a non-issue.

If you allow both tires for 2012 it would seem to be a no brainer...people will run the tire they want for the reason they want. At this point, the cost factor becomes a non-factor. Because we all know the guys who want to win, and have the ability to win, have unlimited budgets anyways :whistling: And,and, if the RR turns out to be a bust only the unlimited budget racers will have wasted their money, as the guys counting their pennies will have stayed on RA1's. :noidea:

Ok...whoever provides a car for Brian to drive at the enduro this weekend please get a set of the RR's so he can test them first hand and make a decision earlier rather than later :duck:

Serious...but messing with you as always chocolate man :D And I'm glad this is being considered for 2013

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dp35

dp35

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Region:SF
  • Car Number:51
I like the tire test idea. Depending on the date, I'd be willing to provide a half decent car & driver, and various RA-1's to compare.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

I like the tire test idea. Depending on the date, I'd be willing to provide a half decent car & driver, and various RA-1's to compare.

This to!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Car Number:88
Correct me if I'm wrong...
If you click the link for RR1 on this thread, you get a tire that looks like an RA1 so that's not it.
It's RR.
It sucks an RA1 at AIM is $149 and a RR is $174 (unshaved)
Sooner data the better but how about the free SCCA track day at the first of the year?
DP got the NB so your covered but I'm up for testing too.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

NV Racer

NV Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:70
Here is a link to the new Toyo http://www.philstire...toyo-proxes-rr/

Duncan

Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Correct me if I'm wrong...
If you click the link for RR1 on this thread, you get a tire that looks like an RA1 so that's not it.
It's RR.
Sooner data the better but how about the free SCCA track day at the first of the year?
DP got the NB so your covered but I'm up for testing too.
J~

It's only $163 from Phil's Tire Service. Must be a West Coast markup :)
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

It's new, so I suspect if Phil's is selling them for 163, it'll be close at AIM. And it's $15 to shave so the delta is $10/tire at that price.

As for testing... Jan 1st is probably too late to make a decision (and could be rained out for all we know) so we'll need to do it before then if we want to try it for 13.
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dp35

dp35

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Region:SF
  • Car Number:51
I'm available to test next Friday at Somoma.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Sacslider

Sacslider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:27
Brian-

Where is the board currently headed with this? RA-1's are great and known but no longer will cross over. Hoosiers are known but stickers offer huge but very short lived advantages. They would bring SFR in line with National tho. RR1's offer cross over to NASA but are unknown. I can't see much impeerical data being obtained before a decision has to be made. I am leery of word of mouth from just anyone including ITA drivers that may not be running in full SM trim.

I don't have much to gain or lose in this as I won't be too involved with SCCA next year (Still cant do 3 day weekends). Just looking on with curiosity
Craig Evans
NASA NorCal SpecMiata Director Retired
NASA Norcal Region Champion - SpecMiata 2011, 2013<p>
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
@Craig - read my post earlier in the thread?

Re: the schedule, next season we are planning to run more 2-day events (with optional test days for those who are inclined). Probably 4 x 2-day events and 3 x 3-day events for our premier events (sonoma sprints, srf festival and a new double rational season opener). This is still in the planning stages so things can shift but that's what we're thinking to require less vacation time from both drivers and workers. Hopefully you'll be able to participate more as a result.

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

Re: the schedule, next season we are planning to run more 2-day events (with optional test days for those who are inclined).

This is still in the planning stages so things can shift but that's what we're thinking to require less vacation time from both drivers and workers. Hopefully you'll be able to participate more as a result.

Awesome news. I did 2 races this year b/c I just don't have time to take off work to do 3 day weekends. Trying to only do 2 out of the 3 days sucks b/c the morning of the second day (Sat) started off w/ a race - so no quali or practice. Oftentimes, the 2nd race would be on Sun while the quali would be Sat so a whole of time sitting around doing nothing yet requiring an overnight stay and hotel.

If you guys put out 2 day schedules, I'll be able to actually attend and get some racing in next season. Very much looking forward to that! :)
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
A little off topic...but a couple things to ponder Brian(I'm sure these already are being considered) 15 minute Qual sessions, 20 minute practice, hot tows, feed on and off...and some priority/reward system to end the constant race to line up cars 2-3 hrs ahead for quals :prayer:

Back to tires!!!! Who is going to run them at Laguna(IT??ST??)?? Would be great if a couple established front of the pack(SM) guys ran these in the Enduro on Sun(Phillip/Steve? :D )

Ron

RAmotorsports

Steve Holifield

Steve Holifield

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:44
I spoke with Ron @ AIM Tires yesterday. Ron is having issues with Toyo but I have to believe that Toyo will come through. The Holifield group is going to run the RR's at the Enduro. It isn't a true test of the tire for our region. We really want to know how the tire performs with many heat cycles, but it will be a test never the less. Anyway, hopefully we will get a 4-hour test of how the RR performs.

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

I spoke with Ron @ AIM Tires yesterday. Ron is having issues with Toyo but I have to believe that Toyo will come through. The Holifield group is going to run the RR's at the Enduro. It isn't a true test of the tire for our region. We really want to know how the tire performs with many heat cycles, but it will be a test never the less. Anyway, hopefully we will get a 4-hour test of how the RR performs.

Very cool!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Juan Pineda

Juan Pineda

You can sleep in your car, but you can't race your house.

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:34
Very strong preference for running same tire as NASA.

CheckerLap.com -- Your race results!

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
Brian G, Tam, Mike....Tire decision??? I've heard only good things so far on the RR...date this will be announced for 2013?

Sorry in advance if this has already been decided and I missed the train!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
We're discussing at the next board meeting. No announcements as of yet but we will make whatever decision well in advance of next season.

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
Brian,

Is SFR considering the Hoosier also? Asking based on your pole thread...

Ron

RAmotorsports

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users