58 replies to this topic

Dani Ferrara

Dani Ferrara

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Region:Oregon Region
  • Car Number:00
Honestly, I just want to know what tires we are using and be able to plan out what we need to prepare for next year. I think it's less important what specific tire we use, than that we just get set on one tire and stick with it. It has gotten somewhat annoying always switchng tires and not knowing what to expect the next year around.

Based on previous comments, Hoosiers only is looking like the more obvious choice since it is also the national tire. Personally I have no problem with having one tire or grandfathering as I just run the leftovers people give me anyway ;)

I don't have much say on what I think of the Hoosiers vs. Toyos as I only ran on the Hoosiers for a few races during the Sept. Triple. They do feel/act differently from the Toyos, but from comments I've heard all year long, it's more of a preference thing than a speed thing. The only complaint I've heard about the Hoosiers that has remained throughout the year is that they seem to rotate on the rims, mostly in the rear, and make the wheels unbalanced. I know people are trying some different techniques to prevent this, but that's the only real issue I see.

www.FerraraRacing.com

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:68
Hmm, it sounds like this might be a slam dunk. As far as attracting racers from the South, we've tried that for years and except for the Mazda Grand Prix, they came mostly for National events -- which would be Hoosiers anyway. For anyone wanting to give dissenting comments (and don't want to get mobbed on the forum :) ), please email me at bruce.wilson at live.com. Unless otherwise notified, we should have this decision wrapped up in the next couple weeks!

-bw

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Terrell Garrett

Terrell Garrett

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Region:NW
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:3
Bruce, does this mean you have ordered your new hoosiers and started to repair your car in preparation for next spring?

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
Terrell,

You'll just need to wait for the press release to get the skinny on that topic.

-bw

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Kyle Keenan

Kyle Keenan

Pass right

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:44
Forgive me if i'm behind the bus, but any update on the tire rule for next year?

#44 Team KBR/KKRProducts.com Spec Miata
#44 Team KBR/Dick Hannah Kia Rio B-Spec/ World Challenge TCB
#16 & #36 Blairco Spec Miata's, ICSCC

2014 SCCA B-Spec National Champion

Dick Hannah Dealerships | Kia Racing | Team-KBR.com | KKRProducts.com | DBB | Fast Specialties | Blairco Heating | SBOX Engineering | Sikk Shades by Eddie Bauer, JR | Hawk Performance

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest
  • Car Year:1999
I'll tell you...after running the H2O Hoosier in the Cascase Enduro, that tire has to be THE rain tire, if not for safety alone. Unbelievable 8 hour performance.

Bill-
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Randy Thieme

Randy Thieme

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Car Number:51
<cynicism> Give how the pot is being stirred on other threads with respect to the national tire I would not blame anyone if our regional decision was delayed. Why bother to decide on our regional tire now if, come January, the national tire is going to change yet again for next year. </cynicism> Long overdue I write that letter to the CRB asking for a three year Spec Miata rule freeze. Not that they'll listen but I would feel better.
  • Michael Colangelo likes this
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

<cynicism> Give how the pot is being stirred on other threads with respect to the national tire I would not blame anyone if our regional decision was delayed. Why bother to decide on our regional tire now if, come January, the national tire is going to change yet again for next year. </cynicism> Long overdue I write that letter to the CRB asking for a three year Spec Miata rule freeze. Not that they'll listen but I would feel better.

I think there's 0 risk of a SCCA tire change this year.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Kyle Keenan

Kyle Keenan

Pass right

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
Asking about the region, not nationals Rob.

Dick Hannah Dealerships | Kia Racing | Team-KBR.com | KKRProducts.com | DBB | Fast Specialties | Blairco Heating | SBOX Engineering | Sikk Shades by Eddie Bauer, JR | Hawk Performance

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
I think we're ready for a vote. Please send me an email at bruce dot wilson @ live.com if you think I might not have your email address. I'll send a ballot email a week from today.

-bw

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Number:91

Asking about the region, not nationals Rob.

"if, come January, the national tire is going to change yet again for next year."
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Michael Colangelo

Michael Colangelo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Region:Southern California
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:23
As I only raced with the SCCA once this season (the Double at The Ridge), I'll abstain from voting. But my new goal next years is to race more than I did this year with both SCCA and Conference.

I figure I need to buy new tires anyway. ;)

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
Is it even possible to spec the Hoosier H2O as the rain tire and allow both Hoosier SM6 and Toyo RA-1/RR as the REGIONAL tire? While I raced only the Double at the Ridge, SCCA decisons affect all SM drivers in the northwest whether Conference or SCCA affiliated. I don't think I will ever again want to run a RA-1 as a rain tire given the tremendous confidence the H2O provides, regardless of lap times.

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
Since I raced so little SCCA in 2012, I don't expect to have a say in the 2013 tire decision, but just curious as to how NASA's entry into the Northwest might impact what SCCA does with respect to a regional tire. I would think many racers might want to race with both sanctioning bodies which might be difficult if SCCA regionally specs the Hoosier. Also, my original #26 is up for sale and can be found at http://www.icscc.com...21130#post21130

Also James Wetter's SM is a star attraction at the Mazda exhibit at the Seattle Auto Show currently running through Sunday. Good luck to the guys heading to the 25!

Bill-

Terrell Garrett

Terrell Garrett

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Region:NW
  • Car Number:3
Do we have a final decision Bruce? Time to spend the family's Christmas cash before they find it!

Massive congratulations to the Dominators of the 25!

From our camp, Sheridan is up for next year and will probably attend the Thunderhill school in spring. We sold the trailer, got a great deal on a used gooseneck only to find out it was too big for the pickup so we spent much more than the savings on a bigger pickup. It just never ends in this sport. Looking forward to hard, clean racing next year and hope to break into high 31's.

Merry Christmas to all and happy racing next year

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Do we have a final decision Bruce? Time to spend the family's Christmas cash before they find it!

Massive congratulations to the Dominators of the 25!

From our camp, Sheridan is up for next year and will probably attend the Thunderhill school in spring. We sold the trailer, got a great deal on a used gooseneck only to find out it was too big for the pickup so we spent much more than the savings on a bigger pickup. It just never ends in this sport. Looking forward to hard, clean racing next year and hope to break into high 31's.

Merry Christmas to all and happy racing next year

Terrell....

I read somewhere that Dean Thomas and Juan Pinada are not going to be doing the Art of Road Racing School at Thunderhill in 2013. Can't remember the why...but my son Brian did it early this year and really liked it. regarding the tire decision for 2013, not sure anyone is really reading this post who might have any answers. My posts have pretty much gone unanswered. Probably best to hit up Bruce's FB page and see if you can get a decision. With NASA coming and events planned at ORP and PIR, I'd think Toyo needs to be in the mix for 2013..

Hope you family has a great Christmas...

Bill-

BrianPDX

BrianPDX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Car Number:27
Bill,

Is it comfirmed that there will be NASA Road Racing Events in 2013? I heard that the new NW NASA would not have races in our area until 2014 at the earliest, and were only doing other events in 2013. Can't remember who told me that.
Brian

Kyle Keenan

Kyle Keenan

Pass right

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
Brian, they have a 2013 schedule out and it's full of events.

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Number:88
Since NASA runs Toyos and SCCA runs Hoosiers, does NASA have such a thing as regional sups?
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Kyle Keenan

Kyle Keenan

Pass right

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
Don't believe so. But with a lot of locals looking at going to the NASA "runoffs" at Miller next year, I think most would want to run the RR anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users