Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88
I shared a 95 1st year with a friend, I know what Rons talking about on the 4:10 on certain tracks

Tom, great post.

After all, why would anyone devote valuable parity review time to prevent a disadvantage right?

I know the higher ups have thick skin, but comments like this just make me want to say kiss :moon:
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
Johnny,

Why would that comment be found offensive? I am not making fun of the amount of time people devote to looking at rules. I am using that fact to ensure that the current 4:10 rule does not change, and that it is not worth peoples time to change it. You know as well as I do that rules can and have changed midseason. I want to make sure that if I devote the time and money to testing a possible advantage, that that advantage is not then taken away just because it is easier to write a rule change than it is to evaluate a rule change. Best way I know how to do that is to remind people of the same arguments that have been given to me for not looking at parity issues mid season.

The rules are done. Wish I could have the option at championships. But I don't,and I don't expect that to change.

Almost everyone has said that parity is not an issue. So be it!!!!!!! But don't expect me to forget that when there is talk of changing an option for a particular year. Let it be and I will let it be.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Johnny,

Why would that comment be found offensive? I am not making fun of the amount of time people devote to looking at rules. I am using that fact to ensure that the current 4:10 rule does not change, and that it is not worth peoples time to change it. You know as well as I do that rules can and have changed midseason. I want to make sure that if I devote the time and money to testing a possible advantage, that that advantage is not then taken away just because it is easier to write a rule change than it is to evaluate a rule change. Best way I know how to do that is to remind people of the same arguments that have been given to me for not looking at parity issues mid season.

The rules are done. Wish I could have the option at championships. But I don't,and I don't expect that to change.

Almost everyone has said that parity is not an issue. So be it!!!!!!! But don't expect me to forget that when there is talk of changing an option for a particular year. Let it be and I will let it be.

I don't really want to get into this with you, I shouldn't of said anything, but...
John said they weren't going to be any changes.
IMO, If you wanted it to stay the way it is I wouldn't say anything to remind them.
He's part of the reason we are as close as we are.

You asked if that is correct by saying "right? "
I'll just say I don't agree.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I think the answer is the new rule set adjustments were established with the 4:30 gear set in the 1.8. Having all cars on the same gear ratio when the new rules were established. Allowing the 1.8 to use the 4:10 at the non-championship races allows those that don't want to upgrade to save the expense of doing so. At some point I would guess the 4:10 will not be allowed at any level.

Posts like the one you are responding to will make that happen sooner than later :) The 4:10 was left for those trying to save money and not change to the 4:30 as you suggested.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94
I still think the move to a 4:30 for the 1.8 was more positive than negative but banging off the rev limiter or shifting when others don't is a pain. All being on 4:30 does make the cars more "the same" in most circumstances. Conversely there are tracks where the 4:10 gave the 1.8 a little edge over the '99 because it could use 2nd or 3rd gear when the '99 is in 3rd or 4th or 5th for that matter. The 1.8 and '99 rev limiter are so close (100 RPM) it barely matters. The 1.6 gets a little advantage with longer legs in each gear.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

The 1.6 gets a little advantage with longer legs in each gear.

To make up for the less torque on the short end. :scratchchin: That "P" word keeps coming to mind. :whistling:
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: restrictor plate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users