tferranti

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:51
Letter sent.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Motor City Hamilton

Motor City Hamilton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Region:Detroit
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:51

Make the 4.30 change optional for the '94-97's.

My lap times got quicker at Mid-Ohio, Gingerman and Grattan with the additional torque from the 4.1 to 4.3 change. Who would want to give back torque for an easier gear change on the top end. If you have to go to 5th, then right back to 4th in one section of the track, I don't think that is an even trade off for more torque everywhere?
  • Jim Drago likes this

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
MCH,

You are probably right, and I am not happy about trading torque. But if you agree that the 94-97 would have a different shift point, and you want to keep the 4:30 torque, then the only question is, has the disadvantage been balanced enough with the parity adjusters of weight and RP's? And I think that at some tracks, the 4:10 may ultimately pay off. Probably not all tracks, but maybe some. I just have to invest in testing it.

We are 2 seconds off the front runners so I don't know for sure how big of an issue this is. I'd like to think that I can get another second out of the car and the driver has another second in him, so therefore this is a non issue. But then I ask myself, why do some people agree with what I am saying and they ARE top runners? The good news is that if they are right, it is an issue, and I am right, I have another second in the car(still no FP regulator and other things) and another in the driver, then our program is progressing well and we should be able to compete at the front at some point when we mature as a team.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alex Bolanos

Alex Bolanos

The Cuban Missile

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:57

Make the 4.30 change optional for the '94-97's.

No, then people will cry when we show up with both diffs to the track and change them out depending on the data.

Alex Bolanos - #57 
Sponsored by Autotechnik, Momo USA, Apex Alignment, and Amazon.com

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
Alex,

It is allowed already at the regional level. I don't hear anyone complaining about it. But then again, everyone I have talked to about it was surprised that it was allowed in the rules at the regionals.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
Alex,

Also, from what I hear, you are one of the best there is. I would be willing to bet that means you have changed out everything based on data. Exhaust, transmissions, diffs, AFM, timing, intakes, exhausts,alternators, heads. No one complaining about that,how is this different?

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Jamz
I feel fairly certain the 4:10 will not be coming back in SCCA. The 1.6 car has the highest rev limit, should we adjust all to that rev limiter? The 1.6 down and the NA 1.8 up to the 99/05? How do you suppose we do this? How do we enforce this after you allow it? We( SCCA) want to stay within the apple cart as much as possible, re flashing computers etc is not a way we will likely ever go and that is the only way to do what you are suggesting safely. The Crystal is mess, it changes the clock speed of the entire computer, which changes EVERYTHING in the computer that runs off that clock..

Depending on the track, I think I could buy about .2 on rev limit, as far as the rest, that sits with the car and/or the driver. Scroll back and read last years parity threads before and after the rules were announced.. Which did everyone predict was the overdog with current rules?

My position was then and is now that no one is winning or losing races because of 1-2 hp, especially not mid pack. The 1-2 HP is far more important at the pointiest end of the grid than anywhere else. The rules were completely turned upside down this year, yet the same people are still winning for the most part. The rules worked in both SCCA and NASA last year as they were. When the adjustments went in last year, they went in ( SCCA) as a three year freeze,less a significant issue came up or we had it entirely wrong. I know I presented it to the other CRB members that way. II will be on the SMAC call, but IMO, I think if you needed a 3 + mm plate change or 50 lb plus weight change, you would have a better chance of that being approved. Just a note to help the cause, letters saying "help the 94/97" or "We need a 47 mm plate" hold very little weight, as do copy and pastes. If you have opinions, present them. All will be read.

Thanks
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

Alex,

It is allowed already at the regional level. I don't hear anyone complaining about it. But then again, everyone I have talked to about it was surprised that it was allowed in the rules at the regionals.

I would be suspect of that statement. From the GCR itself:
3. Transmission/Final Drive
a. Transmission and final drive ratios must remain stock for the
year of car. All cars shall only use the 5 speed transmission
and the 4.3 differential ratio. Transmission gear ratios must be
stock. All cars may use the stock 4.3 unmodified OEM open
differential or one of the approved alternates listed below.

And that note about 'listed below' corresponds to the various LSD types we're allowing.
Essentially, if you're running a 4.1 gear, you are illegal and can be protested as such regardless of regional vs. national race.

And as echoing what JDrago is stating above, the 4.1 vs. 4.3 is a moot point within the rules committee. We now have all chassis running essentially the same driveline from the flywheel back. It's only the body design/type, engine & front sub-frame bits now that are different between the 3 "types" of Miatas we're racing and I think that's about as close as it's going to get.

I can speak directly to the controversy about the 4.1 (though I'm not at the pointy end of the field - solidly midpack) but it all does boil down to the driver. We'll use the Glen (long) as a single track to look for examples of where it's beneficial or not with the 4.1. (Not totally fair to you as you are in CA and may not have driven it.)

Advantageous (my opinion):
Front straight (before turn 1) - don't have to mess with a 5-3 shift (would probably be 5-4 w/the 4.3 I'd bet; others can confirm this)
Back straight (before bus stop) - same as turn 1
Exit of the boot - I'm not bouncing off the limiter before braking

Not advantageous (again, IMHO):
Carousel/outer loop - I'm shifting from 3-4 at about the first third of the turn and can sometimes get it squirrelly in doing so (no offense to M&S here :))
Laces of the boot - if I don't want to string it out and bounce off the limiter before I enter the toe I short shift which can bog me leading up to the braking zone
Exit of the boot - I'm in a worse part of the power-band upon exit of the turn (but applying power is tricky here w/an off-camber "top of hill" style turn)
Entrance to turn 10 (the "left hander") - I'm shifting just before the (no so) braking zone which can mess up entry if I'm following someone too closely

I don't think it can be stated enough: it does all come down to the driver. I can understand and agree with getting all advantages possible with the car model chosen but that's part of the 'game' isn't it? Picking the best tool for the job at hand and seeing how well you fare.

I know I'm not the fastest (still nearly 4 seconds off the pointy end at the Glen) but I counter with the "don't have the budget to put in a 4.3 nor roll on Hoosiers all season" which to me implies if I were to 'prep to the fullest' I would be a whole lot closer. And after 3 seasons of racing I know I'm getting closer even with a less-than-100% car. I'm happy in knowing that I'm keeping up with well-prepared cars and making the most out of the advantages of my car while learning and adapting around the disadvantages it also presents.

Because of this I'm doing what I can to improve the loose nut behind the wheel while making room for the necessary 'upgrades' to make me 100% legal.

Prep to the limit of what you can, get the driver whatever aids that help them, and mark the high-points whenever possible. I marked one of mine last weekend (the 6th) with my first time breaking into the 2:22s consistently (not just a one-off). Had a couple of beers with friends to celebrate.

And isn't that why we do this crazy hobby? :) Drink beer with friends/competitors? :guinness:

Signed,
Illegal '96 w/a 4.1
:glare:
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
Brandon,

Below is the copy and paste from NASAs rules for SM regarding this. And yes, I love the guys in the hobby and working with them.

Jim, the same guys are winning in the same cars they have been winning in. If a top team was winning consistently in a 97 after moving from another year, then I hear you. But for some mysterious reason, they are choosing not too even though as you pointed out, on paper it looks to be an overdog, so why aren't they running this year?

14.3. Differential
14.3.1. 1990 – 1993 (1.6L)
· The OEM Viscous limited slip (4.30:1) or Mazda Competition Parts; part number QN10-
64-A00 (previously T0Y1-27-200 & 0000-02-5501) in addition the alternate
MAZDASPEED #0000-02-5500 limited slip differential is permitted as well.
· The 90-93 Miata may convert to the 99-05 differential housing and the 4.3 differential
gear ratio from the 99-05 model years (this conversion includes the driveshaft and halfshafts).
The original 90-93 model rear suspension uprights must be retained.
14.3.2. 1994 -1997 (1.8L)
· The OEM 4.10:1 Torsen limited slip or 4.10:1 open differential is allowed. Optionally, the
4.30:1 rear axle ratio as found in the 99+ cars is permitted. The original 94-97 model
rear suspension uprights must be retained
· The 4.30:1 gear will be mandated for use during the NASA Championship event.
NASA_SM_FINAL_2012_2v_1 Page 9 of 18
· Use of the 90-93 differentials is not permitted.

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
I have to say Jim, I was one of the biggest complainers about the 2011 rules with NASA especially as it related to the 99. I still beleive they were wrong... Although they did attempt to do somethign drastic and make things better. Ultimatley they got together with the SCCA before the 2012 season and made some changes to all the cars that has truly brought parity to all models. When I can drive a team mates unfamiliar Drago 97 as fast or faster than I could drive my own 99, That is same driver same track against same competition...

I for one dont think we need any changes for 3 years unless someone comes up with some crazy big advancment that sets one model on a different plane. Look at the 97 listed in classified, it was best HP/Weight of any cars at NASA nats and there were some very good cars there.

As for the Rev limit, I am all for letting us all go to the 1.6's rev limit if thats what people want, although I dont think that will help, almost every track has some goofy spot where you have to make a choice to ride the limiter or make a gear change, you have to do what proves out to be the fastest with the aid of your data.
  • john mueller likes this

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

I have to say Jim, I was one of the biggest complainers about the 2011 rules with NASA especially as it related to the 99. I still beleive they were wrong... Although they did attempt to do somethign drastic and make things better. Ultimatley they got together with the SCCA before the 2012 season and made some changes to all the cars that has truly brought parity to all models. When I can drive a team mates unfamiliar Drago 97 as fast or faster than I could drive my own 99, That is same driver same track against same competition...

I for one dont think we need any changes for 3 years unless someone comes up with some crazy big advancment that sets one model on a different plane. Look at the 97 listed in classified, it was best HP/Weight of any cars at NASA nats and there were some very good cars there.

As for the Rev limit, I am all for letting us all go to the 1.6's rev limit if thats what people want, although I dont think that will help, almost every track has some goofy spot where you have to make a choice to ride the limiter or make a gear change, you have to do what proves out to be the fastest with the aid of your data.

Wow! Kyle, who wrote that incredibly well thought out reply for you or did Frank hack your account ? I kidd :lol: , great reply dude.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Wow! Kyle, who wrote that incredibly well thought out reply for you or did Frank hack your account ? I kidd :lol: , great reply dude.

John I'm wotking on my Corporate Image lolololol... Maybe next year you will sponsor me, it might cost you a cool suit sale or two along the way....

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Jim, the same guys are winning in the same cars they have been winning in. If a top team was winning consistently in a 97 after moving from another year, then I hear you. But for some mysterious reason, they are choosing not too even though as you pointed out, on paper it looks to be an overdog, so why aren't they running this year?

I heard the same thing about the 1.6?? We built one, Right now it is arguably the FASTEST car in the country. Not sure why " I" should have to build a 94/97 to prove a good version could win anywhere. I think Charboneau drove the Autotecknik "RENTAL 1.8" to a top five finish after a spin the NASA Champs this year, that car was down 3+ hp in that car. If I felt I had to build a 94/97 the rules would not be right be close. I am helping a driver in California with a 1.8 for next year, hopefully that will put this all this to rest.
In your particular case, you say you are 2 seconds off? You would seemingly have much more you could work on other than a 1-2 MM restrictor plate change. I suggest you pull the plate out completely during a test session, you will still be about 1.7 seconds off the pace ( if you are 2.0 now) I have done with many 99 customers who say they are down on power. I would have them pull there restrcitor plate for STU, they would maybe improve .5 or so, but still not run front running times. That is 10-12 HP.
Not to say you shouldn't campaign for what you believe is correct. But don't loose site of the trees through the forest either
  • Rob Burgoon likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
Hmmmm as a customer I wonder if I pulled my restrictor and went 2+ seconds faster in same car if someone would supply ME with the remaining 2 hp I need? hahahahaha

K. Webb