Mike Asselta

Mike Asselta

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Region:Kansas City
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:70

If someone's not closing up, perhaps they need a push?

They probably do need a push.  When we were strung out coming to the start, a certain driver pulled alongside the driver ahead of him and began pointing forward (as if to say "get going")....the response was a one-finger salute and no acceleration.

I just don't understand this thinking...someone earlier said "Sunday drive."  Maybe some people think this is one big fancy lapping day.  Seems like it would be cheaper to do that with the Porsche or BMW club.

I was seriously considering an "I was 7th!" run for glory...but restraint got the better of me...and ruined the racing. 

Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Nothing makes me crazier than being behind someone who won't close-up on starts, or worse, restarts. There is NEVER a better opportunity to gain back track position than on a restart.

Just don't get it.

• DrDomm likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

kverges

kverges

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:61

WRT to drivers not closing up during the pace lap, there are many of us at the front that are NOT helping the situation. If we continue to weave left and right scrubbing tires all the way up to turn 19, then these is just too much gap to be made up by the back drivers to close up. It takes time to form up and you CANNOT do it until the row ahead has formed.

IMHO we, (the front drivers) need to form up two by two at least 2-3 turns before the start line to allow the rest of the field to do the same. If we form up, close the gap earlier on, it will allow the rest of the field to close and at least give them a shot. But if a strung out start is what we are aiming for then we are doing the right thing. I expressed this at the 2012 June Sprints meeting and we were formed up by T12 at Road America, so it can be done.

I'll be honest, In viewing many of the videos taken from the grandstands this weekend at COTA, I was embarrassed to see the drivers at the back of our class only coming onto the start straight as we are going into into Turn 1. Some of the blame rests squarely at our feet. I am not saying it is entirely our fault but we should try to make this a fair race.

Fire away!

I agree.  I was trying to get in line before T12 and we did exactly that in SRF, but for some reason the top 5-10 in SM seemed to think they could get 85 cars lined up from T18-20.  I actually expected a waveoff.

• William Keeling likes this

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

They probably do need a push.  When we were strung out coming to the start, a certain driver pulled alongside the driver ahead of him and began pointing forward (as if to say "get going")....the response was a one-finger salute and no acceleration.

I just don't understand this thinking...someone earlier said "Sunday drive."  Maybe some people think this is one big fancy lapping day.  Seems like it would be cheaper to do that with the Porsche or BMW club.

I was seriously considering an "I was 7th!" run for glory...but restraint got the better of me...and ruined the racing. 

OMG that was TOOOOO DAMN FUNNY!  Poor Kenny  ...........

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alex Bolanos

Alex Bolanos

The Cuban Missile

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:57

Here's my incar video of Race 2, track record 3 laps from the end- 2:41.737

http://youtu.be/UFN72rWgcn8

• Muda likes this

Alex Bolanos - #57 
Sponsored by Autotechnik, Momo USA, Apex Alignment, and Amazon.com

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner

Caesar Vielmas

Caesar Vielmas

SM Driver

• Administrators
  • 126 posts
  • Region:SW Div
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:27

Thank you for posting Alex, great driving. That last lap is pretty sick, looks like the boss is a tough man to pass. :)

Caesar Vielmas
blu27.com
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brendan O

Brendan O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Car Year:2003

Here's my incar video of Race 2, track record 3 laps from the end- 2:41.737

Very fun to watch

Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Region:WDC

Yea, pulling them just a bit in the esses.

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

suck fumes

suck fumes

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Region:Lonestar
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:75
At the 1:45 - 1:19 towards the end is the part where I would have gotten pretty frustrated.
2010, 2011 SM Sowdiv points champion!
2011 National points champion!

WWW.MOTORSPORTHEAVEN.COM

Caesar Vielmas

Caesar Vielmas

SM Driver

• Administrators
  • 126 posts
  • Region:SW Div
  • Car Number:27

My view from mid pack. Interesting how the video amplifies mistakes. :banghead: This is full of "what not to do"'s. I pointed out a few with annotations on the first lap. T3 to T9 is a blast to drive. Enjoy! 

• Muda, T Murray and Lee Thomas like this
Caesar Vielmas
blu27.com
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brendan O

Brendan O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

What was a good top speed on the big straights? (with or without bump draft)

trimless

trimless

Low Budget Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Number:11

115 was maximum in my 1.6 without a push. Entry speed onto straights was limited by the track design.

• Caesar Vielmas likes this
G. Corley

Brendan O

Brendan O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

thanks

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

115 was maximum in my 1.6 without a push. Entry speed onto straights was limited by the track design.

Limited by track design or by the 1.6's lack of torque compared to other year cars?
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

trimless

trimless

Low Budget Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Number:11

Limited by track design or by the 1.6's lack of torque compared to other year cars?

Both.. I damaged my valve train with a money shift in Friday practice so was down on power for the races. Lack of torque compared to 1.8 was most evident when shifting to 5th gear on the long straight.

G. Corley

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:59
I only got to 114 in my 99 without a push. Typical lap was around 113 without going super late to brakes.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

Don't be so hard on yourself Caesar, aside from the overrev, your first lap was fine.  If you're not worried about the leaders getting away, the main goal should be to get through the first lap with your alignment intact and without flat spots.

• Caesar Vielmas likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Number:03

I only got to 114 in my 99 without a push. Typical lap was around 113 without going super late to brakes.

I was about the same.... on my 3rd motor combo for the weekend.  Thanks for the help from the Phillips Race Prep guys for the 2nd motor swap on Thursday.

6 Laps into my first time ever on track on the practice day Wedneday, my motor grenaded.  It decided to eat an intake valve on #4.  This promptly destroyed the entire motor.  Most expensive test day on a $$/lap I have ever done.  With this motor I was at about 114 MPH like Brian running totally solo.

Motor #2 didn't make it off the dyno later that Wednesday. Put it in, but an issue prevented it running correctly.  Went to bed.  By Thursday morning, Chris Halderman had his father in law bring down my 2 season old Sunbelt bottom to bolt one of his new heads on.  Did this Thursday trackside and at least I was running for Friday.  Got to thank the guys for at least getting me something that would make the car go. 

When the car got on dry track, and after fixing the dreaded 99 electrical gremlin on Saturday, on Sunday it turned close to the same top end.  So thanks for the new head Chris since the bottom end was shot.

Sometimes you just have one of those weekends I guess...  :weeping:

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA