Photo

Rear Wheel Bearing

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

A picture that is appropriate for this thread, third post.    :uhwhat:
http://prodracing.co...php?f=7&t=14557

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

AW33COM

AW33COM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Region:NE
  • Car Number:78

if the grease is thick and white, LEAVE IT.  This is a high-quality, quite pricey, OEM "lifetime" wheel bearing grease that you can't buy in small quantities without a hookup.

Do you happen to know the "white grease" name? 

Btw, Timken no longer produces in US, and often they use SKF bearings, and SKF bearing parts.  Very often the only thing that's Timken is the box, or the housed unit (hub).

Also, in order to press out the rears you need a 20ton press.

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:26

Also, in order to press out the rears you need a 20ton press.

This tool makes the job easy but it is very expensive.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

This tool makes the job easy but it is very expensive.

http://www.autobodyt...CFc5DMgodWnsAgA

Using this ^ and making about 3 more pieces car specific in a lath (or have them made) keeps the cost much more reasonable.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

AW33COM

AW33COM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

^ Good shit, and I do know of some state of the art SKF tools for this, but there is one small problem.  How do you put it back in without a press? heheh. 

Also, note on the video above he is working with a front hub, rear hub on a Miata is a bit different.  Not that easy.  I have done this once with a big hammer, but that can damage the hub.  Press is a must if you ask me. 

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

How do you put it back in without a press? heheh. 

First, I have never taken a Miata rear knuckle apart. I own a 1990 and with that said the rear knuckle looks like a similar process to whats shown on the video. Put it back in without a press as they do starting at approx the 3:20 mark. :thumbsup:

Wheeler, Collins, Drago???

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

First, I have never taken a Miata rear knuckle apart. I own a 1990 and with that said the rear knuckle looks like a similar process to whats shown on the video. Put it back in without a press as they do starting at approx the 3:20 mark. :thumbsup:

Wheeler, Collins, Drago???

Yup

AW33COM

AW33COM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

On the video it looks super easy, in reality my air gun could not do it.  Even Dave in his book says the rear bearings are not serviceable, because he knows it's not an easy thing to change.  It's very easy to damage the part without a press.  Even using a 20 ton press it felt like I had to use all of it. 

Btw, the tool above is not expensive at all comparing to some other tools I have seen, as long as it's good quality material.  I've broken many tools like this removing bearings.   Removing the race from the hub is the most difficult part as very often the race sits so close to the hub there is no way to position your tool there. 

Anybody has this tool and used it on the rear of a Miata? 

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

Knowing OTC, this tool is well made. But not needed for a Miata. All it does is replace hydralic force with a forcing screw. The same principles and procedures apply. And you better have lots of air pressure/volume and a good impact to make it work.

Dave

• Glenn and Jim Drago like this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Just a FYI, Drago has Front Hubs, Rear Knuckles and Calipers all done in the Classifieds. ^^^^

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

On the video it looks super easy, in reality my air gun could not do it.  Even Dave in his book says the rear bearings are not serviceable, because he knows it's not an easy thing to change.  It's very easy to damage the part without a press.  Even using a 20 ton press it felt like I had to use all of it. 

Btw, the tool above is not expensive at all comparing to some other tools I have seen, as long as it's good quality material.  I've broken many tools like this removing bearings.   Removing the race from the hub is the most difficult part as very often the race sits so close to the hub there is no way to position your tool there. 

Anybody has this tool and used it on the rear of a Miata? 

Yes, I have this tool.  I use hand tools rather than air tools.  I'm sure I could get a bearing started going in crooked, I like to feel it as the bearing slides in and seats.  It works great on the rear bearings.  Like Dave said you get plenty of force with the screw.  I feel like I have more control using this tool than I do when I've tried a press.  I don't own my own press.  

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

They don't show the part were the mechanic forgets to remove the snap ring and has a "Doh" Homer Simpson moment. 

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

AW33COM

AW33COM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Keith, since you:

use hand tools rather than air tools.

I found this video for you:

The tool in the video is a Posi-Lock.  Does not require air or hydraulic.  It locks and does not move when you crank it.  You can take it to the race track with you.  It's amazing quality, problem is the price tag. 

• Keith Andrews likes this

Vince Russell

Vince Russell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

That Posi-Lock looks like a nice tool. Is the 5 ton to much?

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

They don't show the part were the mechanic forgets to remove the snap ring and has a "Doh" Homer Simpson moment. 

I've done the get it all back together with the hub installed and find the snap ring on the bench. "Doh"

AW33COM

AW33COM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

That Posi-Lock looks like a nice tool. Is the 5 ton to much?

Sorry, I don't know the answer, so I'm not going to bull shit you.  I know what you mean though, they make many sizes, so it's hard to nail it unless you buy the whole set. 

Btw, here is a link to the SKF one: http://img.directind...813-2613829.jpg
That tool is no joke, but it's like $500 per size. 

Vince Russell

Vince Russell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I got the 5T off of ebay. 100ish bucks.

Killian

Killian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Region:NASA Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:707

To get the old race out of the upright, I just used an air hammer to drift it out.  To press in the new unit, I just put the upright in the oven (less torch, more oven) and the bearings in the freezer (next to the ground beef).

It kind of worked out like this: 

• Muda likes this

Vince Russell

Vince Russell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

The Posi-Lock still needs a head start to grab the race.. On the plus side, the new Timkin bearings come apart easy for re-greasing. Five washers between the races and pop!

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Hmph.  I've never had a problem pressing bearings out, even on salt-destroyed daily drivers.  If you don't push "square", things can be difficult.  Getting axles out is another story.  :wacko:

• Ron Alan and Jim Drago like this

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users