Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I wish SCCA could control the starts at Road America as well as they did at the Nationwide race.

I thought the starts were actually quite fair this weekend? 

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Not sure what you mean on the issues, I cant remember where Todd started (outside top 10 for sure), but he got to p5 at the finish, and could see P1 on the front of the train...

It was a more determined drive then even Danny's from saturday, and that is really saying something.  The issues here are the issues...  

We all spend alot of money on this sport, most of us a bit high strung, and our passions often show.  We all want advantages on each other, and we all try hard to develop those.  At the end of the day Most butnot all of us just want a fair fight without pushing past the grey and into  to the black. 

I know all the parties involved in this discussion, all are good people and I have confidence that the issue/issues will be worked out in their enirety!

I suspect this conversation will be coninued out of the sight of most... 

To clarify what I see(or think i see!), The yellow car is slow in(and into) the corners, losing a couple car lengths to those in front and to Todd behind...but is early to the gas and has a good drive out. As much as the yellow car maintains the draft and moves back up to those in front of him, the car behind Todd seems to do the same thing. This makes me wonder if the weak link is Todds car? Just an observation and possibility...All I was pointing out. 

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:137

I thought the starts were actually quite fair this weekend? 

You were in the front of the pack, the back was a mess.  But no, the motors wound up well before the flag dropped.

BTDTRacing, LLC - ISellMiataParts.com

"I'm not making any money doing this, I'm purely doing it out of ego." - Paul Tracy

2011 Midwestern Council Spec Miata series champion

2015 Winner, SM - Midwestern Council: A Legen-Dairy Enduro, Co-Driver Stephanie Andersen

2015 Winner, ITA - Midwestern Council, Blackhawk Formula Festival

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79

Wasn't at the Sprints this year, referring to past experiences,but guys are on the gas about as they are starting up the hill, with guys hanging back in the middle holding up drivers trying to get a run.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

The problem with Road America is that in our low HP cars, the starter has no idea if anyone is on the gas or not because there just isn't much contrast between full throttle and part throttle up the hill.  

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Michael Novak

Michael Novak

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:Michigan
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:#9

I started 23 and was WOT at the bottom of the hill or somewhere around it. It was that or get run over. I laughed when I got the green-green-green on the radio.

Majors Winner - Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39

Pat, for the last 3 years now our entire class has gone WOT at the base of the hill when the pace car has pulled sufficiently off the track. Pole Sitter has dictated when the field goes.

Strictly this is not right, but it does for the most part keep a decently formed field going into T1. If you wait until you get the green the first row will be swallowed up by the time they get to T1, or even worse yet, they will be slaughtered by the 7th row - just as happened this year in SRF at the sprints - just imagine how Schoefield feels about this start

even better view here

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

I don't understand that SRF start.  Who was the lone SRF that was right behind the pacecar?  Assuming he was the polesitter, then he triggered the green flag.  Once he gets it, then those guys behind can go.  Not sure why the camera car driver (Schoefield?) didn't hang with the pacecar/polesitter.

Am I missing something?

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Wasn't at the Sprints this year, referring to past experiences,but guys are on the gas about as they are starting up the hill, with guys hanging back in the middle holding up drivers trying to get a run.

stand at 5 or 14 and cock your ear toward the base of the hill.  Put your eye on the flag and watch.  You'll hear those motors long before the flag drops :)

But as ugly as the back of the pack was (c'mon dudes, this is an important national) I can't believe they started it at all.   The front runners were UNDER the starter stand and there were still boogers coming out of Bill Mitchell.

"I'm not making any money doing this, I'm purely doing it out of ego." - Paul Tracy

2015 Winner, SM - Midwestern Council: A Legen-Dairy Enduro, Co-Driver Stephanie Andersen

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

and the poor bastards in the 3' laptimes had no idea.  They were probably still warming tires.

Pat, for the last 3 years now our entire class has gone WOT at the base of the hill when the pace car has pulled sufficiently off the track. Pole Sitter has dictated when the field goes.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

I don't understand that SRF start.  Who was the lone SRF that was right behind the pacecar?  Assuming he was the polesitter, then he triggered the green flag.  Once he gets it, then those guys behind can go.  Not sure why the camera car driver (Schoefield?) didn't hang with the pacecar/polesitter.

Am I missing something?

Yes, this was a total cluster f_ ck created by SCCA Enterprise Inc and the SCCA. They have what the call a Gen3 car their testing this year at the expense of their normal owners/drivers. Did I forget to say testing while starting at the front of the field. The Gen3 car was behind the pace car and the normal field was split. IIRC the Gen3  car qualified approx 4 seconds faster than the pole car.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:SEDiv
  • Car Number:57

I've read on a few different forums that the SRF race had a BIG mixup when they allowed a new Gen3 SRF (not yet legal for SCCA) start up front, kind of as an exhibition.  There was a plan for a safe, organized start, but unfortunately not everyone got the message.  When the Gen3 SRF took off (as was expected), other people, including pit road crew, thought the race had started.  Many non-front row racers were on the gas long before the REAL polesitter had started to accelerate.

Am I missing something?

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA
Former SM racer (now back in a formula car)

Barber 2013 Topless

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

and the poor bastards in the 3' laptimes had no idea.  They were probably still warming tires.

Blake - I agree that the guys at the back are getting a VERY RAW DEAL, but IMHO this is more due to us as a class (especially at the front) not lining up 2 x 2 before we get to Canada Corner. Guys still insist on swerving side to side warming up there tires all the way to T13, and this makes it really hard for the guys at the back to close up the gaps. It was even worse for the guys at the back at COTA who were not even at T20, when we were going into T1

We had a Spec Miata drivers meeting at last years Sprints (to deal with the Cluster F&*k from 2011), and I specifically asked drivers to do it and we had a much better start last year than this year. The front row still went early but the gaps were much tighter.

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

suck fumes

suck fumes

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Region:Lonestar
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:75
That spec ford guy musta have been pissed! Haha that's sucks. Lose the lead at the start and get wrecked in the first lap!
2010, 2011 SM Sowdiv points champion!
2011 National points champion!

WWW.MOTORSPORTHEAVEN.COM

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

That spec ford guy musta have been pissed! Haha that's sucks. Lose the lead at the start and get wrecked in the first lap!

I agree! What a mess. Something tells me those guys would have much preferred any of the last 15 SM starts there.

What Danny said is 100% correct.  If you don't start rolling on the power up the hill, you will hit turn one outside the top 5-6.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

I've never been on the starters stand at Road America. BUT, when we look at the rules it would appear the SCCA does not follow their own written rules. From the videos the front row drivers can not view the starter when the start flag drops, therefore how can the starter clearly see the front row. Or the first "X" rows.

"The starter SHALL be safely located where the MAJORITY of the drivers in the field can clearly see him as they approach his position. He shall remain motionless, with green flag hidden, and no other flags visible."

Are there other tracks with this same issue?

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

Yes, this was a total cluster f_ ck created by SCCA Enterprise Inc and the SCCA. They have what the call a Gen3 car their testing this year at the expense of their normal owners/drivers. Did I forget to say testing while starting at the front of the field. The Gen3 car was behind the pace car and the normal field was split. IIRC the Gen3  car qualified approx 4 seconds faster than the pole car.

I've read on a few different forums that the SRF race had a BIG mixup when they allowed a new Gen3 SRF (not yet legal for SCCA) start up front, kind of as an exhibition.  There was a plan for a safe, organized start, but unfortunately not everyone got the message.  When the Gen3 SRF took off (as was expected), other people, including pit road crew, thought the race had started.  Many non-front row racers were on the gas long before the REAL polesitter had started to accelerate.

Wow!

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Michael Novak

Michael Novak

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:Michigan
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:#9

Spreading out the pack on the start is a good thing IMO. I started 23, but I was very happy to come through the first turn and not get wrecked---I think I was within 2-3 spots of my starting position in corner one which is how it should be. I was in a postion that normally has lots of contact. Slow starts produce wrecks in my book

• MPR22 likes this
Majors Winner - Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

There is a fairly simple fix for this. Put start judges on the "Cat" bridge. If the front row is ahead of the pace car, there is a no start. Or the offending car is black-flagged.

Preferably, I would like to see a seperate "pace car entrance" to the pit lane added as far up the straightaway as possible. 1/2 a mile between when the pace car has to enter pit lane and the starters stand is begging for problems.

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Chad Martin

Chad Martin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Region:Midwest
  • Car Year:1989
  • Car Number:38

NASA or SCCA, club racing starts are a complete free-for-all

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users