Photo

What Make a Car a certian Year, Just VIN?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

WilsonSteele

WilsonSteele

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Region:SoCal
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:159

All,

Just asking an in depth technical question here, please don't take this the wrong way.

What makes a car a certain year?  Is it just the VIN on the drivers door?  On the Firewall?  Those are "easy" enough to change or "fade"

I drive a '94, which I am considering making into a '97.  I have been told from many sources that of the 1.8 NA's, the '97 is the far better car to have.  And I would love to have the OBDII for trouble-shooting and data logging.

In many parts of the rule sets, especially in the listed engine parts, '94-'97 components are all lumped together, such as piston weights, at least in the NASA rule set.

And I don't mean a cheater, best parts from any which year.  I mean a full on, complete build of a '97, with engine, gauge cluster, wiring harness, ignition coils, etc all matching the part numbers for that year.  All 100 percent legal to the '97 spec.  Just a little off if one runs the VIN to check build date.

Part of this is because I just got a '97 complete block and wiring harness off craigslist, and that motor rebuild is my winter project.  So build to '94 or '97 is one of my current questions.

A question to engine builders out there, do you ask a customer which year of car they have when they want a "pro" NA 1.8?  For instance, I just got a Drago head, and there was no year specification other than NA 1.8.  I don't know if the heads are different, but certain other engine parts certainly are, such as the pistons starting in '96.

Again, this post isn't about cheating, it's about specifying how the rules are written so I don't have to buy a different car after putting 1000s of man hours into the one I already have, that I now know wasn't the greatest starting point.  I'm not trying to turn an NA into an NB.

Have I missed anything that people know are different between the '94 to '97 tubs?  Stripped Chassis weights, brake boosters, rear brake balance valve, drive shaft length/weight, emissions canister, marker lights, blinker fluid, etc?  As far as I know, it's mainly the wiring and engine controls, as they got ready for OBD-II.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

The VIN on the firewall is stamped. It is the only VIN listed in the FSM. The parts on your car need to be consistent with the VIN/year. You just can't decide to update or back date..the rules don't allow for it.

Its the same reason you can't turn a 1.6 into a 1.8...

• Michael Colangelo likes this
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Time to find that 97 tub!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

All,

Just asking an in depth technical question here, please don't take this the wrong way.

What makes a car a certain year?  Is it just the VIN on the drivers door?  On the Firewall?  Those are "easy" enough to change or "fade"

I drive a '94, which I am considering making into a '97.  I have been told from many sources that of the 1.8 NA's, the '97 is the far better car to have.  And I would love to have the OBDII for trouble-shooting and data logging.

In many parts of the rule sets, especially in the listed engine parts, '94-'97 components are all lumped together, such as piston weights, at least in the NASA rule set.

And I don't mean a cheater, best parts from any which year.  I mean a full on, complete build of a '97, with engine, gauge cluster, wiring harness, ignition coils, etc all matching the part numbers for that year.  All 100 percent legal to the '97 spec.  Just a little off if one runs the VIN to check build date.

Part of this is because I just got a '97 complete block and wiring harness off craigslist, and that motor rebuild is my winter project.  So build to '94 or '97 is one of my current questions.

A question to engine builders out there, do you ask a customer which year of car they have when they want a "pro" NA 1.8?  For instance, I just got a Drago head, and there was no year specification other than NA 1.8.  I don't know if the heads are different, but certain other engine parts certainly are, such as the pistons starting in '96.

Again, this post isn't about cheating, it's about specifying how the rules are written so I don't have to buy a different car after putting 1000s of man hours into the one I already have, that I now know wasn't the greatest starting point.  I'm not trying to turn an NA into an NB.

Have I missed anything that people know are different between the '94 to '97 tubs?  Stripped Chassis weights, brake boosters, rear brake balance valve, drive shaft length/weight, emissions canister, marker lights, blinker fluid, etc?  As far as I know, it's mainly the wiring and engine controls, as they got ready for OBD-II.

It's a real PITA to build a whole new car or even to convert a '94 to '97 electronics.  The whole thing could be solved with a small plate or weight adjustment.  Years ago '94-'95 had a different spec line in the rules compared to '96 - '97.  That got killed and in large part because of ECU monkey business in the '94 - '95 cars.  It's time to separate these cars again in recognition of the difference or make ECU reflash legal.   

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

It's a real PITA to build a whole new car or even to convert a '94 to '97 electronics.  The whole thing could be solved with a small plate or weight adjustment.  Years ago '94-'95 had a different spec line in the rules compared to '96 - '97.  That got killed and in large part because of ECU monkey business in the '94 - '95 cars.  It's time to separate these cars again in recognition of the difference or make ECU reflash legal.   

If you want to make a REAL '94 legal you need a 49 plate... ;)

The available data suggest otherwise, but what do I know....

Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

If you want to make a REAL '94 legal you need a 49 plate... ;)

The available data suggest otherwise, but what do I know....

There's quite a bit of data right in front of our noses.  Car choice by racers, entry lists, results and podiums.  '94 -'95's almost extinct.   :help: Heck, some dude is selling a pretty good '94 on this site for $9900 and I'll bet it can be bought for less than that. :)  :)

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

WilsonSteele

WilsonSteele

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Region:SoCal
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:159
To those in the higher levels of SM rules and building, help me understand this Drago quote:

"There are many cars that needed to be re-tubbed etc that have the "wrong" year tub. If you meet the requirements on VIN number to your spec line, you meet the requirements. "

I cut the VIN off my dash because one of my cage bars went right there. I carry it around in the folder of my log book.

But really, what is the difference between the tubs? If there was any tub performance advantage, i wouldn't consider it. Not trying to cheat here. But if the only difference between my car, thats paid for, and a better one is manhours and some stamped numerals, why wouldn't i do it?

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

To those in the higher levels of SM rules and building, help me understand this Drago quote:

"There are many cars that needed to be re-tubbed etc that have the "wrong" year tub. If you meet the requirements on VIN number to your spec line, you meet the requirements. "

The VIN on the firewall is stamped. It is the only VIN listed in the FSM.

The SCCA written rule for the VIN is very poor because as Collins stated, the only VIN you will find written in the Mazda FSM is the VIN stamped in the front firewall.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Difference of interpretation.
I will stand by what I wrote...

VIN = vehicle identification number
There are several VIN plates on the car.. dash, engine, transmission drivers door jamb. If you have enough of these plates on your car to meet the rule and they differ from the ONE stamped in your firewall and all else meets the spec line, you are compliant.
Mike can disagree, you can disagree but "I" feel this is a non issue. If you want 100% clarification on the matter you can look in I believe 8.1.4 in GCR and send in the $300 for clarification. Since this will likely end up back in my lap after doing so, what do you think the outcome will be?

If I owned a 94 car and wanted to convert it to a 97, or a 90 for that matter.. "I" would buy a 97 parts car and strip my 90-95 race car and put every part from my 97 car on my stripped old race car. I feel that is still within 100% of the rules now. I would use the pan, dash and transmission from the 97 donor. If you or anyone else wanted to protest it on the basis of the number in the firewall, I would welcome that protest as I feel I would win 100% of the time.

If you are not happy with that, you can always submit a letter to do away with the vin rule completely or allow update/ back date within the spec line.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Difference of interpretation.
I will stand by what I wrote...

SCCA GCR

1.2.3.A

Interpreting and Applying the GCR

Strained or toutured and applying the GCR SHALL be logical. < Short version of actual written rule words. 

Says nothing about the many different peoples interpretation. The word interpretation is very much the same as when people use the word intent with reference to rules.

With logic, I'll follow the SCCA rules and the Mazda Miata FSM mentions only the VIN stamped into the front firewall. Were in the SCCA rules or the Mazda Miata FSM do you see any mention of location for other VIN number locations? 

This woud be version 2 of this discussion. Why don't you spend $300.00 to prove your not correct? I would expect a fair and honest guy like yourself to recluse yourself from decision making on this issue becauase without CRB discussion your mind is fixed and your a Spec Miata competitor. 

Writting letters is almost a joke. After the SCCA published the new rule to include "cowls" as "trim" pieces within 3-4 days of an national event at the Farm I wrote a letter that suggested the new SCCA rule is not correct because "trim" pieces per the GCR glossary are "coverings or attachments whose function is solely cosmetic". On 2 of the 3 cars that were teched the cowl was functional and cosmetic and on 1 car the cowl was solely cosmetic. The letter flownders in the production committiee almost 2 months latter.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Dave
Thank you for your input :)

For the rest,
I think my opinion is pretty clear.

Jim
  • Glenn likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

I would expect a fair and honest guy like yourself to recluse yourself from decision making on this issue becauase without CRB discussion your mind is fixed and your a Spec Miata competitor. 

Caveman 3.16

Dave dewhurts should make any and all descisions for SCCA in every class since he is "NOT" a competitor

K. Webb