Photo

What Make a Car a certian Year, Just VIN?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Mike did say "With all due respect".

• Bench Racer and Jim Drago like this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Johnny, are you familar with the production car rules from the 60's

You are one here that was alive then. I am old and I wasn't even born then :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

I guess if this did fly, it could be a sticky wiicket if NASA didn't go with it, unless they stopped caring a long time ago, IDK.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

DES4

DES4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:93

That's quite a stretch to make a car competitive, claiming it to be an altogether different year than it actually is, just it so it can comply to a different rule set.

Not too sure that's within the spirit of the rules. There are subtle differences with each successive model year in spite of outward appearances, and I wouldn't want to be the one that had to determine if the 1994 being raced as a 1997 might not have some over-looked advantage. It'd always be a questionable car as far as compliance goes. I'd avoid going there.

• Bench Racer and Michael Colangelo like this
Dave Stine

"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed," -Eleanor Roosevelt

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

I'm too busy arguing with Collins off line right now to take you seriously. :)

Don't say $hit like this because your troll will follow suite. :shame:

VIN  protest and appeal, Collins 1, Drago the donut hole.  :wave2:   :)    ;)

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

So people aren't cheating because of the VN on the firewall?

People can't run legal because of a VN?

People have to spend more time and $ for a VN?

No I'm not familar.

If it's an issue, it's an issue.

J~

How about if the next rule slide is for NA to have 99 front cross members. When's the last time you eyeballed for this when hoods have been open. Sliding rules do noone any good, they screw the class over. Hence, SSM at Summit and other places where from my reading things are a little tighter. Which makes a better class.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Boy will this be a colossal waste if time and change no ones opinions.. :)

Our GCR rule requires you have two or more matching vins, it doesn't say where, which etc, just two or more VINS.

We are not SS based ruleset anymore and we are not tied only to the FSM for definitions.. By Mikes definition the only valid vin is in the picture below, in the FSM. If you take that as fact, we are ALL NON COMPLIANT as we have only one valid VIN on each car, on the firewall. Nothing else would be acceptable, I don't buy that as 
anyone who can operate a car knows there are more than just that one location for the VIN. 

Here is the picture he is referring to:

The vin is not a "part" it is a number, VIN=Vehicle identification number . This picture points only to one instance of the VIN, not the only one, just points you to one of the many. 

photo1_zps1ab63f93.jpg

If you look in the book further, you will find this :

This clearly points out the earth shattering news that other VIN plates do exist and where to find them.  Correct, we are not required to carry all these books, but if the common sense of a steward doesn't prevail before it even gets here,  this clearly points out that there are other places to look for numbers. Only in China would this not be accepted as fact.

photo_zpsfc303e38.jpg

While these pictures are in associated Mazda manuals, they will point you to VIN tags on the firewall, door jamb, engine, transmission and dash. There are no pretty pictures of them in this manual, but clearly referenced there are in other locations and do exist. I don't feel this even needs to be referenced as it is common  knowledge of every steward. 

By my count, there are at least six easily accessible VIN numbers on the Miata.  If any two of those numbers are the same, ( even if the rest are all different) lets say for the same 1997 Miata and EVERYTHING on your car meets the spec of those two VIN numbers, you will have no issue. PERIOD! Nor should anyone care to be honest as there is no advantage other than not having to spend twice the dollar amount.
 If you start mix and matching you will have issues and you should.

Mike will tell you he won a protest on this very issue, not exactly correct, I dont even think it was a protest, wasn't it just in tech?  The car in question was a full 1997 car running 1997 VIN numbers but logboooked as a 1994/95. They did this in order  to be able to run the larger plate of 94/95 spec line but keep the better fuel curve of the 1997 spec line.  IMO, that is not close to an apples to apples comparison here. That is a blatant cheat.

For the sake of cutting this short,( too late for that)

Mike and I both hate to lose and he will take the exact opposite position. All the smart people will agree with me for no other reason than Dewhurst  is on the other side with Mike and that can't be a good thing  :)  None of this effects Mike or I, just arguing a point. Both of us agree if we wanted to do this tomorrow there would be no issue.

All said in fun. :) BTW, I'm right and your wrong  :banana: 

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

I was talking more of 94 to 97 slide, not that big.

I'm with you SSM.

Where to draw the line.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75
It was a CSA. It was not upheld. I appealed and won. They tried to use your logic with a trans vin tag and fender vin tag. I won on the firewall.

Sorry you lose.
  • Michael Colangelo likes this
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Boy will this be a colossal waste if time and change no ones opinions.. :)

Correct, we are not required to carry all these books, but if the common sense of a steward doesn't prevail before it even gets here,  this clearly points out that there are other places to look for numbers. Only in China would this not be accepted as fact.

Mike and I both hate to lose and he will take the exact opposite position. All the smart people will agree with me for no other reason than Dewhurst  is on the other side with Mike and that can't be a good thing  :)  None of this effects Mike or I, just arguing a point.

All said in fun. :) BTW, I'm right and your wrong  :banana: 

Were going to start this phase of the discussion real simple, having you hopefully understanding a basic GCR SMCS rule.

This will only be a colossal wast of time if your to bone headed to realize someone other than you understands the rules. More in a bit within this post for my first rule for you to understand that you have stated above you don't understand.

I don't ever look at a good discussion as a win at all costs including putting other people down. Dewhurst being on someones side is not always a bad thing, which you are about to find out.

Please open your GCR to SMCS 1st  (first) page. Read 9.1.8.C the second paragraph. Then please post the words of the rule to show me and anyone else that you now understand this basic rule.

With all do respect, after you understand the basic rule 9.1.8.C the second paragraph, the score/Drago opinion will be, Japan 1, China 1, Dewhurst 1, Drago 0 (zero). :)    :rockband:

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

The VIN thing screams for a better written rule.  Shouldn't even be a debate. For the sake of the stewards and competitors, this should be black and white.  Either it's OK to change the year of your car or it isn't.  Should not be allowed IMO.  The other thing to do is to fix the disparity between the '94 - '95 and '96 - '97 with a plate and/or weight adjustment.  

Both of these are simple changes and benefit the participants.  

• Bench Racer, FTodaro, DES4 and 1 other like this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Were going to start this phase of the discussion real simple.

I don't ever look at a good discussion as a win at all costs including putting other people down.   :)    :rockband:

And we wonder why 535 members in the U.S. Congress can't come to any common sense conclusion to anything.  

• Glenn likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

WilsonSteele

WilsonSteele

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Region:SoCal
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:159

All,

Thanks for the wisdom and input, I mean that seriously.  Let's all remember not to get our feathers ruffled with our positions on this.

I'm only half trying to continue to stir the pot here with this next bit, please take it for what it's worth.

I'm a pretty handy guy with the dremel, tig welder, bondo and paint.  And the car might just be a stripped out shell right now.  If there happens to be damage to the firewall right where that VIN was, from say a bad engine fire, or it looks like someone cut the VIN out of the firewall and welded in a new one, then there's no protest to be had, correct?  Because the engine fire vs. welding might just look the same after someone might get done with it. 

And it just so happens I forgot, and left the drivers door open in the sun for the last three years, and that sticker is faded all the way to blank.  Same as if someone rubbed it with alcohol.  But obviously it was the sun....

If my car is perfectly compliant in every respect as a '97 to the VIN number "affixed" to the firewall, other than cosmetically right around the edges of said VIN, all is kosher to both sides of this argument?  And I can have other VINs lying around to assure that even more parts of my car are from '97 as well...

Cause honestly, building a new car from a donor, or buying one, vs. a nice afternoon in the driveway with a car I already know/trust/like is just no comparison on labor, etc.  Especially with a long winter break coming up...

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
No idea who you think you are???? But you cool as shi...t in my book!

K. Webb