Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

There should be a "your momma's so big" joke in there somewhere.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Zauskycop

Zauskycop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:45

I have gone the EZup way and over 10 years of solo, and club racing...have gone through MANY ezups.   If you really want an shelter that lasts longer than the common EZ up, I suggest the Quik Shade Summit 100.   For some reason this model outlasted any other type I had.

THAT said, I have given up on the pop up type of canopies...sick of them either blowing away, or collapsing from rain.   I now use this, and have for the last 3 years and I LOVE it...I personally use the 12 x 20 model, but you may have a different preference.   To tie mine down I use their leg weight adapter put into a kart tire that is filled with concrete...no tie downs!

http://www.shelsys.com/

Tracy Ramsey
45 SM
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
I would go with the Tucker, Drago, OPM, Advanced, type awning type set up but I need a bigger sponsor, my wallet is not big enough.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79

I got a 12 x 12 from  Dick Sporting good and it is great, reasonable price and also does not have a issue with rain sagging the tent as it all rolls off.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Car Number:12

I sold EZ-Ups casually for a couple of years so let me offer some advice:

* Everything I'm saying is in reference to the Eclipse II from Ez-Up.  This is a commercial, use-in-any-weather-full-time canopy.  The ones you get at Costco, Walmart, etc, are usually on par with the lower-line recreational EZup canopies, none of which are really meant for how we use them at a racetrack.  They are sun shelters, not weather shelters.  Pricing on these are expensive but you get what you pay for - expect to spend $550 for a 10x10, $850 for a 10x15 and $1100 for a 10x20.  A whole lot more than you're paying at Walmart or Costco but these don't buckle the first time the wind comes through.

* I use two EZ-Up Eclipse II 10x15s.  I put them side-by-side, 15' out from my trailer so I form a 20 long x 15' wide shaded area.  This leaves enough space to pull the car in and get a jack on either side while staying in the shade.  I use ratcheting tie-downs to the trailer and on the other side I generally ratchet it to my rolling toolbox which weighs a couple hundred pounds.  The sand-bags that EZup offers work well although in serious wind you would need more support.  The key is to keep all four or eight legs on the ground so they need to be tightly tied down.

* For true all-weather situations, you want steel.  Heavier, but not 2x as much.  About 118# for the 10x15 in steel vs. 85# for the aluminum.

* EZUp is now offering vented tops sort of like golf umbrellas.  I think this will solve most of our issues with wanting to take flight at the expense of a bit of rain protection:  http://www.ezup.com/...tion/127339788/

* You can buy all of the spare parts needed to keep your commercial canopy in good shape from EZup.

I think the ultimate solution is the trailer-mounted setup but keep in mind that unless you have a big rig, generally your trailer isn't tall enough to generate enough pitch for canopies of 15-20'.  10' is usually not enough as the majority of your stuff is still in the sun for half the day and if it rains, forget about it.  On a normal trailer, you would need to mount some vertical height extenders.  It also depends on how the canopy connects.  I usually see crews of 2-3 guys setting up those semi-rig sized canopies and there are a lot of pieces.  It's super awesome once setup, but if you're doing it yourself, you might reconsider.

I find 2 10x15s to be a pretty perfect combo (which replaced the 20'x10' trailer-mounted roll-out canopy that buckled in the wind).  I've been using one aluminum and one steel for 3 seasons without problems.  I do watch the aluminum one though in serious wind... I would buy 2 steels again if I was doing it over despite the extra weight in carrying it around.

Also, at night, do yourself a favor and either lower them closer to the ground or take them down.  Unless we are expecting serious wind, I leave them up, but might peel the corners up to reduce the parachute effect.  If any of my tops go bad, I'll be replacing them with the vented type.  

• RacerX likes this
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:SEDiv
  • Car Number:57

I've had a 10x20 Eclipse for maybe 10 years.  It is still in very good shape.  It was painfully expensive at the time, but my wife kicked in (into the racing budget) because I told her we needed it for her back yard parties.  :-)

I'm very happy with it.  It is high quality, sturdy, etc., but a couple of downsides:  It is very hard to set up if I'm alone.  I can do it - takes about 20-30 minutes.  It's a 5 minute job with two people.  (Note:  Take down alone is a piece of cake.)  Also, it is not tall enough to go over the trailer door, so I get a bit wet if it's raining.

For holding it down, I have two brackets on my trailer and two 25-30 lb. buckets filled with cement.  They all have exposed studs that go through the footings, and wing nuts to hold it all down. 

However, in stormy weather, I don't really consider that enough hold-down strength.  I've seen (as I'm sure most of us have) canopies tossed about in the wind even when weighted down.  On two occasions I've seen heavy weights hurled with ease across the paddock.  One was a receiver hitch that put a huge gash into an expensive RV.  In other words, don't kid yourself that weights will always hold it down.  Tie down to heavy things like your race car or your neighbor's trailer.

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA
Former SM racer (now back in a formula car)

Barber 2013 Topless

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

However, in stormy weather, I don't really consider that enough hold-down strength.  I've seen (as I'm sure most of us have) canopies tossed about in the wind even when weighted down.  On two occasions I've seen heavy weights hurled with ease across the paddock.  One was a receiver hitch that put a huge gash into an expensive RV.  In other words, don't kid yourself that weights will always hold it down.  Tie down to heavy things like your race car or your neighbor's trailer.

Good advice.....................:yep:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Car Number:12

One note to add to what Russ said - the push/up/lock mechanisms on the corners changed a couple of years ago to a pull-pin (like a grenade) vs. the push-knob like old style ones have.  Basically can't break and they are far nicer to use.  

I can set up my 10x15 by myself in about 5 mins.  The trick is to get it half-way open, crouch under and then push up on the two supports in the middle so that the whole thing basically expands out to where the cross members are mostly taut.  Then you can just push up on a corner until it locks.  Takes about 2 minutes with help though.

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Parity

Parity

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Region:North East
  • Car Number:51

I have gone the EZup way and over 10 years of solo, and club racing...have gone through MANY ezups.   If you really want an shelter that lasts longer than the common EZ up, I suggest the Quik Shade Summit 100.   For some reason this model outlasted any other type I had.

THAT said, I have given up on the pop up type of canopies...sick of them either blowing away, or collapsing from rain.   I now use this, and have for the last 3 years and I LOVE it...I personally use the 12 x 20 model, but you may have a different preference.   To tie mine down I use their leg weight adapter put into a kart tire that is filled with concrete...no tie downs!

http://www.shelsys.com/

How long does it take you to set that up? One man operation?

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

How long does it take you to set that up? One man operation?

At the get-go I had a 10 x 20 similar to TracyCop. One man, WAY longer that a pop-up. If the pop-up is one man 5 minute job, the

http://www.shelsys.com/ is a one man 30 minute job. And one man folding the tarp is a PITA. Yes, I understand there is always support around.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Zauskycop

Zauskycop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:45

Yup, i agree.   WIth another person it is a 10 minute job.   I have set it up alone and 20-30 minutes (depending on your motivation) is about right.   But I always have somebody there, so the benefits of the shelter outweigh the time.  By ALOT.  IMO

Tracy Ramsey
45 SM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users