• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

Jack Marr

Jack Marr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Region:Texas

Am I the only one asking the question of why Mid-O over COTA? Based on the historical locations, they should never ever be held at Road Atlanta or Mid-Ohio again.

May well be a scheduling issue with COTA. They have an F1 race just a month or so later and having the Runoffs may be getting into their prep time. Also UT football will be gearing up and there may not be 2 weekends open. You don't want to try and find a motel when the Longhorns are playing.

Zauskycop

Zauskycop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:45

Here is the problem I see, and this is from the viewpoint of a front of the pack regional guy...mid pack national.   You west coasters DO have many many SMs.    BUT, that said, you better get used to running Majors If qualifying stays the same as this year.

3 Majors, and you are in?   Good...I expect to see a huge count, and it will be a fun race to watch.   But if you have to qualify by going to National events...it gets MUCH harder.   3 years now I have run at June Sprints and finished mid pack every year.   For zero points.    Because of the national qualifying rules, only the top 10 get points, even if you are in a field of 50 + cars!    Yet, if you go to a national that has 9 SM's, many of questionable ability, they all get points.   To me that is unfair, but those are the rules.   I WISH (put wishlist here) that there was a way to reward a percentage of the field, rather than just a top 10.   I just get disappointed going to watch nationals and watching cars seconds slower than my times who qualified at small national events....

I would love to see a HUGE field at Laguna...but I can see some things not falling into place for people

Tracy Ramsey
45 SM
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:68

There are no Nationals in 2014, only Regional and Majors. 

There are two distinct paths to Runoffs.

1 via Majors only and 1 via a Division. 

Divisions decide on the second path, which shouldn't be solely based on Majors, as that is already one path.

For example, NORPAC division decided upon:

1. Compete in ANY NORPAC race (SF, OR, NW)
  2. Majors and Regionals both count
  3. Participate in 4 weekends
  4. AND finish in the Top 3 in points (or Top 5 for SM/SRF)

• suck fumes and Derrick Ambrose like this

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users