Photo

SCCA Runoffs coming to Laguna Seca for 2014!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

I think you can go back before that to the '05 Pro Spec Miata cup where Justin Hall showed up at Road Atlanta and took pole and finished 2nd in his first visit there? ;)

And then there was the FIRST ever Spec Miata Pro Championship won by none other than Niki Coello of Wisconsin. Someplace along the way while the folks from Atlanta went to sleep over the winter monthns the Coello brothers Niki and Tony of Wisconsin built two new cars and hosed the entire crowd at the Atlanta spring race. Again this info comes from an older than dirt fella.

The Coello brothers were no different than the Drago team or any other pointy end team.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

We are building the San Francisco Region schedule for next year right now.  We have to get some more pro dates to solidify when we can go where, but we're juggling between more, shorter events or fewer, longer events.  Each have pros and cons as our events are subject to standard sound windows as above. 

Only Pro events (and the Runoffs next year, since they're using unused Pro dates) have 105db all-day sound.  The next tier is San Francisco Region which gets the pyramids from 90db up to 103db.  Everyone else runs 92 or 90db, all day.

Brian
I know this is a hard one and may not be able to answered now?

Is there a chance of Laguna/Sonoma back to back weekend?
How many SCCA weekends generally at Laguna?
How Many NASA weekends generally at Laguna?

Thanks
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

0 NASA weekends at laguna normally, 1 this year.

maybe 2 or 3 with SCCA?

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

0 NASA weekends at laguna normally, 1 this year.

maybe 2 or 3 with SCCA?

Well at least no one gets that much practice... :)
Who should I send my car to out there.. Little racing out this side of the country next year I guess

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Number:91

Me, I'll add some drag reducing dimples to it.

• Jim Drago likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:12

Brian

Thanks
Jim

We're working on the schedule now... factors:

* Pro event schedule (our workers run many of those events)

* Availability of Laguna and Sonoma based on pro events and demand

* Trying to run events no between 3 and 6 weeks apart and not back to back

* Trying not to step on Cal Club and Oregon

So, you know, we have all the control. ;)

NASA was able to get a couple of extra 105db days this year - I don't think there will be any extras in '14 because of the Runoffs.  Might be wrong, dunno.  For SFR, we have 10 days.  We're debating between two 4-day events (test day + 3 day event) plus one 2-day event (or maybe a 4-day and two 3-days) which is what our normal seasons look like.  OR, maybe running more, shorter events.  So, like 5 2-day events or two 3-days and two 2-days?  

We're already getting requests for a Majors event there.  I suspect schedule wise it is going to be hard to squeeze an extra event in late summer.  We have the Monterey Historics/Reunion/Pre-Reunion which eat up a lot of track and worker availability.

So... pretty safe to count on 3 events there, could be up to 5.  We might have some other things up our sleeves too. ;)

I understand people would like to have an opportunity at the track somewhat close to the Runoffs a la the June Sprints.  I'll probably put up a survey to see what people prefer to use in our planning.  It will likely be fully subscribed though.  If we had the flexibility, I'd be inclined to run more, shorter events.  Try to spread out when people from out of town come in so we don't run into oversubscribed situations.  Either that, or maybe we need another event that's JUST For big groups like SM, SRF, etc?  That might be an idea.

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Brian

Thanks
Jim

Outside chance you could get  back to back weekends at Sonoma/Laguna Seca...but it would be SCCA/NASA. This year was the first time NASA has gone to Laguna in awhile. But they do 5-6 weekends a year at Sonoma.

As a general FYI for those  in the east not familiar with our(SFR)3 tracks...here is a basic layout.

Laguna is approx. 150 miles south of Sonoma and 250 south of Thunderhill. Thunderhill and Sonoma are about 130 miles apart.

Monterey airport is about 8 miles from Laguna...but it is a small airport that you'll have to fly into another major hub first. San jose is your closest major(1 hr by car) then Oakland then SFO(last 2 are closest to Sonoma). Sacramento would be closest to Thunderhill.

Serious power there Mr G :D

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tim Wright

Tim Wright

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Region:NorCal
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:#14

Brian

Thanks
Jim

Jim, 

I understand it would be a shame to not get a chance to race at Sonoma after having traveled that far, but dont forget about Thunderhill raceway!, Thunderhill, in my opinion is probably better than both Sears and Laguna!  For those of you who have not participated in the 25hr, you got to come check out this track.

Tim Wright

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users