john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Dang, Thx.  The Video paid off!

Kinda, but not really....

I was approached by OG Racing late Saturday to figure it out but I had to wait until results were final to calculate who gained the most spots.  Regardless, congrats and BTW I think you set the fasted SM lap of the event with a 2:19.359.

• dfuser likes this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

JRHille

JRHille

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:48
Also, for what it's worth, probably not much, some cars got on the dyno much hotter than others.

It was an awesome event and a lot of fun minus the carnage in the qualifying race. The northwest guys were all very nice and helpful. (And fast as hell)
NASA kept the fun in the weekend with dinner parties and the karting tournament which some ran in the pouring rain. My shoes are still wet! :)
  • john mueller likes this

1999 Spec Miata
Hilltrux - Roush - V2 Motorsports - ESR

BFG Supertour Winner - SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Duane Polsley

Duane Polsley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Region:SFR

From the sounds of it, looks like Sammy missed an opportunity.

Just sayin

• Jim Drago likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

John Mueller, appreciate the event Dyno info.

Still a couple things I can't wrap my mind around. Will talk over at the Runoffs with some engine/Dyno men with more knowledge than me.

What type Dyno was used?

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

F

John Mueller, appreciate the event Dyno info.

Still a couple things I can't wrap my mind around. Will talk over at the Runoffs with some engine/Dyno men with more knowledge than me.

What type Dyno was used?

Dynojet some mobile verity.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

From the sounds of it, looks like Sammy missed an opportunity.

Just sayin

One thing they did check was shocks :)

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Number:60

Okay,

AVE OF 1.6 DYNO PULLS OF CARS TECH'ed DURING THE EVENT: 115.9hp ;  104.41tq

The 1.6's were -1.3hp and -2.8tq lower than the average of all, yet won both qualifying races and the championship race.

HP Delta (highest to lowest): 3.7hp

TQ Delta: 3.9tq

I'm curious as to why you've emphasized that that the 1.6's had the lowest HP/TQ?  That's the way it should be; otherwise why are 1.6's getting a 100 lbs advantage vs the 99's? (Can't imagine it is due to brake and minor suspension geometry differences.)

Also curious on the deltas, were any of them overbores?  I noticed a few in the paddock, but don't know if they made it to the dyno.  That would also skew the numbers (in theory).

Again, not criticizing, just a data geek and am curious.

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

dfuser

dfuser

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Region:Southwest, Texas
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:18

Realistically the 99's would be at a dis-advantage.  I have an overbore so my minimum weight is 2415, and my dyno was 119.8 hp and 106 on tq.  The 1.6 being 115 lbs lighter and with only a few hp and lbs of tq down on power a much better car to race.  Thought?

Maybe someone can make sense of this: http://en.wikipedia....to-weight_ratio

Bill Agha

SM 18

Sponsored by:  raceoutfitter.com

Engine/Setup:  X-Factor racing

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
Open attachment below and scroll to post number 51. Shown are overlay torque and horsepower dyno graphs/plots/curves for a 1.6, a 99 and an 02. All else being equal, if you do car weight/torque foot pounds ratios at 4,500 rpm, 5,200 rpm and 6,000 rpm you'll see that at higher rpm the car weight per foot pound of torque becomes much closer varifying IMHJ why at the Nationals at MMP 1.6's fell back at the beginning of the straight and came on strong at the far end of the straight.

http://mazdaracers.c...ead-2034/page-3
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ken SM94

Ken SM94

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:94

A little late to the party here... 

Congratulations to my good friend Matt!  He said after the warm-up before the big race that his car was the best he ever had.  If you know Matt, that's saying something.  That guy never stops tweaking on that car, but after the warm-up he just sat down and waited - it was kinda weird actually.  :^)

I also thought the Oregonians could have worked together for the first 35 minutes so kudos to Matt who made some bold moves and drove away.  I was surprised when Sean pulled out on Ken early but it made it a much more interesting race for TV.   :)  It made me want to revisit the team racing thread and note that it hasn't made its way to Utah yet! 

My car was junk for the race.  I tried a different set of tires in the warm-up but decided on the same tires that got me the win the day before.  It was a bad choice and I could tell after the first couple laps I didn't have a competitive car, and it got worse from there.  Sean was all over me and being pressured from behind.  I don't think I would have waited as long as he did to give up on trying to help. Thanks for trying Sean! :^)

I understand NASA's thought process on tech, but think the top cars needed to be torn down.  Not because I think anyone was cheating, but because it let's everyone know that things get checked and they got beat by a legal car.  I was prepared to take my car home in a box if I were on the podium.  That's the way a championship race should be.

All in all I think NASA ran a great, fun event.  I really like the qual, qual/race, race format.

Thanks again NASA!

• Mike Ferrara, Joe (dad) Jordan, Ron Alan and 2 others like this
Ken Sutherland
1976 4th Grade Bowling Series-Most Improved
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Terrell Garrett

Terrell Garrett

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Region:NW
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:3

Ken,

Since you did win the day before and since you had a top car you do qualify for tear-down.  Randy and I will be at your house 8:00 am on Saturday to begin.  We should be done by 5:00 pm or six beers later, whichever is first.  Of course, in exchange for this premium service, we expect you to provide the beer.  Sierra Nevada is my choice.  Randy will probably be happy with a blowtorch and a can of lawnmower variety!

Terrell

PS -  I think the "bad tire" argument is worn out due to my personal overusage of it this year.

Terrell Garrett

Terrell Garrett

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Region:NW
  • Car Number:3

Just talked to Randy.  He said he's taking the engine and will give you his.  I'll trade diffs and undercarriage.

Randy Thieme

Randy Thieme

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Number:51

I need to put the waffle head on first...

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

The 1.6 being 115 lbs lighter and with only a few hp and lbs of tq down on power a much better car to race.  Thought?

Thoughts are that you have to look at area under the curve, not just peak numbers. See Jim's dyno comparison that he posted of arguably the best of breed examples of each car:

http://mazdaracers.c...ge-3#entry44476

Though it would seem that the dyno comparisons at MMP weren't exactly the same ratios.

My main thought is that it is a shame that the NASA Nats and SCCA Runoffs are so close together.  This all but eliminates people running both (except for a crazy few.)  It'd be great to have all the top SCCA guys run Nats and the top NASA guys run Runoffs.  Especially next year when the Runoffs is at Laguna Seca.  Miller would be on the way for most people towing in.  (Other than West coasters of course.)

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Thoughts are that you have to look at area under the curve, not just peak numbers. See Jim's dyno comparison that he posted of arguably the best of breed examples of each car:

Not all the breeds. No NA 1.8 numbers.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Not all the breeds. No NA 1.8 numbers.

1.8's are just half-breeds. ;)  I meant for all the cars that showed up at Nats.  I don't think we had any 1.8's.  Certainly none on the dyno.

NASA Utah SM Director

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

While were discussing torque and horsepower I'll throw some 1.6 and 99 torque numbers into the mix. These car weight/foot pound of torque numbers come directly from the Drago dyno graph, which from this side of the world are commonly viewed numbers. I converted these numbers to pounds. Then I by hand marked these pound numbers onto a copy of the Drago Dyno graph at a point where the torque line crosses the rpm line. At some rpm's the 1.6 has a larger load in pounds and at some rpm's the 99 has the larger load in pounds.

RPM          3,500          4,000          4,500          5,000          5,500          6,000          6,500          7,000

1999                                                                                                        +25             +45             +43

1.6            + 151          + 350           + 243         + 83            + 4

With everthing else being equal, after attaching these pound load numbers to rpm's it's galaringly truthful to what we view with a 1.6 and a 99. Let's not say we never race below 5,000 rpm because we do, just as we race at 6,000rpm and above.

I do have my asbestos suite on.   :yep:  

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79

Many time on many tracks, the rpms are below 5000 for a 1.6    At  MIS the turn was so sharp entering the back straight, we were at 4200 rpm in Second gear. We flat out got yanked 4-6 cars lengths before getting to the straight part of the turn.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

That might explain why 1.6's do well at MMP.  Here's a histogram of my RPMs.  We're almost never below 5K.  (Blue is at Nats while I had issues with the car.  Orange is from a race earlier in the year without issues.)  Edit: These are clean laps with no drafting etc.  99 can and will overslow you in the corners which paints a bit of a different story and explains why it is easy to go "fast" in a 1.6, but hard to race sometimes.  Trying to correlate data with video to find laps behind a fast 99 is more work than I care to do. ;)

throttle_histogram.png

NASA Utah SM Director

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

While were discussing torque and horsepower I'll throw some 1.6 and 99 torque numbers into the mix. These car weight/foot pound of torque numbers come directly from the Drago dyno graph, which from this side of the world are commonly viewed numbers. I converted these numbers to pounds. Then I by hand marked these pound numbers onto a copy of the Drago Dyno graph at a point where the torque line crosses the rpm line. At some rpm's the 1.6 has a larger load in pounds and at some rpm's the 99 has the larger load in pounds.

RPM          3,500          4,000          4,500          5,000          5,500          6,000          6,500          7,000

1999                                                                                                        +25             +45             +43

1.6            + 151          + 350           + 243         + 83            + 4

With everthing else being equal, after attaching these pound load numbers to rpm's it's galaringly truthful to what we view with a 1.6 and a 99. Let's not say we never race below 5,000 rpm because we do, just as we race at 6,000rpm and above.

I do have my asbestos suite on.   :yep:  

from a mile away :burst:  DD...post this in another thread that it fits in...I have some things i want to throw out!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users