Photo

who is going to win the Nasa Championships? / SMACK

• Please log in to reply
262 replies to this topic

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

My HP number was 1 HP less than the highest I heard about and my torque number was 4 more than the best of the top finishers. This is proof of the parity in this class......it,s still most about driving!! HP does not win races all by itself!!!

Help me out please. What engines were in the top finishers you mention in your post that you reference to your 99? 1.6, 1.8, 99? 

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:73
1.6, 2001 car and multiple 99'sthruout the week
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
All were very close
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

All were very close

Chris, help me out. I don't understand "all were very close."  Were the numbers looked at within a narrow window?

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Kyle posted his video in another thread. To Mr. Ferrara's post above...here is a classic example of what he is talking about. In this case, Kyle drove through his straightline speed...or lack there of!

http://mazdaracers.c...nasa-nationals/

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
Peak numbers only. I will say the 1.6 that won suprised me on the dyno
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:68

We know that Matt can drive.  I'm assuming that he wasn't the top at peak.  When you're talking  a couple hp, tires and setup make a lot more of a difference, even enough to win going away!

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
I totally agree!! Set up and tires will also greatly effect Dyno numbers
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Obviously not enough to warrant further scrutiny by NASA? Or are you saying it was lower than you thought?

I totally agree!! Set up and tires will also greatly effect Dyno numbers

Did people come off the track and go to dyno? Or did everyone get a time slot and knew when they were going?

Ron

RAmotorsports

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
Cars went too impound after race then over scales and too Dyno. Seals were placed on the hoods and no changes where allowed too be made.
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
I will not comment on what could have or should have been done by NASA. I will say NASA was not prepared for a 1.6 to win because over the last few years there hasn't been any good 1.6 cars racing in championship races. This event displayed many very very good 1.6 cars and the track lends itself to the 1.6 as well. Because of the uneducated belief that the 1.6 is dead there was no ability to accurately tech the 1.6 car. So much in fact NASA didn't even "waste" 400$ on the cylinder head compliance tools for the 1.6. I had customer cars in 3rd and 4th in the championship race and will not add to anything else that I feel should have happen. This is my last post on the subject if I or any of my customers go back to miller for a NASA championship we will all be in 1.6 cars and they will be very fast!!! I built my first 1.6 engine in a year for Tyler Dahl to race at miller this year and I will tell you on the Dyno NASA was using it made more hp then my customer 99 that finished 3rd in the championship race. What that means I have no idea???

Edited by my beautiful, loving wife for grammar :)
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs

dfuser

dfuser

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Region:Southwest, Texas
  • Car Number:18
From Dead last to 11th NASA Nationals 2013 Miller Motorsports Park.
PS: its 1.5GB File

http://www.puredpfdelete.com/img/NASA2013.wmv

• john mueller likes this

Bill Agha

SM 18

Sponsored by:  raceoutfitter.com

Engine/Setup:  X-Factor racing

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Chris, thank you. From some of the posts in this thread it would appear I should find time to meet you at the Runoffs. My mind still doesn't fit around the Nationals numbers.

Kyle L., enjoyed the ride. :thumbsup:

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Guys take the parity BS to the parity thread, this is not turning into yet another parity thread. Or start a NASA Champs  parity thread that way those of us that are really tired of it don't have to read it.

Any further parity posts here will vanish ..

Jim

• Ron Alan likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Jim and Ron, read into the posts as you please.

To me it was a discussion about posted dyno numbers, nothing more, nothing less.

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Jim and Ron, read into the posts as you please.

To me it was a discussion about posted dyno numbers, nothing more, nothing less.

Hahahahahaha!!!!  Come on David....really??  Of course dyno numbers have no correlation to parity

Cut and paste Chris's post into a dyno thread...perfect!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

.Edited by my beautiful, loving wife for grammar :)

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

From Dead last to 11th NASA Nationals 2013 Miller Motorsports Park.
PS: its 1.5GB File

http://www.puredpfdelete.com/img/NASA2013.wmv

Bill;

That drive has earned you the OG Racing Hard charger award.  IM me you mailing address address so NASA can send you a Gift Certificate worth $200.  NICE JOB BUDDY!

• MPR22 and dfuser like this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Okay, okay...    Here are the numbers I was dealing with and feel support my decisions post race.  If you have questions IM me, I wont give any specific car info, I'll only talk in terms of that I've displayed here.  Please be objective, if you choose to go public with questions or comments and you are pandering for one model over another I'll just ignore or openly mock you.

So when you look at these do so as we did in tech...  Don't look at the overall number(s) and say "hmm, lower than I expect"...  You have to remember we used dyno results as a comparative tool on that particular day (same conditions) and not an absolute number.  We were looking for outliers and biased our depth of investigation from there.  This tack was mainly due to variances in dyno pulls for the PT run group on the test-day, early Thursday and throughout the event.  Know one could explain why day-to-day or hour-by-hour pulls on the same PT car (with no modifications) had variances occurring, I didn't want this to become an issue so chose our path.

THURSDAY TECH

Ave HP: 117.33hp

HP Delta of cars (highest to lowest) :  4.4hp

Ave TQ: 107.76tq

TQ Delta of cars: 11.2tq

CHAMPIONSHIP SATURDAY TECH

Ave HP: 116.29hp

HP Delta of cars (highest to lowest):  3.7hp

Ave TQ: 106.56tq

TQ Delta of cars: 6.6tq

~~~~~~~~~~~

Here are a few interesting items pulled from the raw data:

AVE OF DYNO PULLS OF ALL CARS TECH'ed DURING THE EVENT: 117.2hp ;  107.2tq

HP Delta (highest to lowest): 6.2hp

TQ Delta: 10.3tq

AVE OF 1.6 DYNO PULLS OF CARS TECH'ed DURING THE EVENT: 115.9hp ;  104.41tq

The 1.6's were -1.3hp and -2.8tq lower than the average of all, yet won both qualifying races and the championship race.

HP Delta (highest to lowest): 3.7hp

TQ Delta: 3.9tq

AVE OF 99 DYNO PULLS OF CARS TECH'ed DURING THE EVENT: 118.6hp ;  109.9tq

The 99's were +1.4hp and +2.7tq higher than the average than the average of all, yet failed to win a single race but did set the fastest lap.

HP Delta (highest to lowest): 2.5hp

TQ Delta: 3.9tq

Enjoy.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

dfuser

dfuser

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Region:Southwest, Texas
  • Car Number:18

Bill;

That drive has earned you the OG Racing Hard charger award.  IM me you mailing address address so NASA can send you a Gift Certificate worth $200.  NICE JOB BUDDY!

Dang, Thx.  The Video paid off!

• john mueller likes this

Bill Agha

SM 18

Sponsored by:  raceoutfitter.com

Engine/Setup:  X-Factor racing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users