Jim Graffy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Region:NW
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:01

Back to the original subject topic. 

Terrell has been elected to be Oregon Region SCCA Road Racing Director.  This after a hard fought battle with his unsuccessful attempt to get the write-in-candidate Mickey Mouse elected.  Good news for us, you did not succeed!!!   You are now our RRD!

And not because he will provide us (aka SM race group) an inside line to magically provide Turn Marshals and Stewards with a view of on track incidents we all wish were not part of wheel-to-wheel racing.   

As a long time member of SCCA (35+ years) I welcome Terrell's willingness to volunteer (OK, not decline the push) to step forward to become a leader in our CLUB.  I emphasize, CLUB.  Terrell has come up through the ranks to become a SCCA National licensed driver.  He has also supported his daughter, Sheridan, to follow in his foot steps, and also become a licensed driver.  He believes in the SCCA program.  While we may all have our issues with the SCCA program, and many of which Terrell won't have any influence over as RRD, may we all support him to make what we all want, to make Oregon Region SCCA to be what I believe what CLUB racing should be, a "Safe, Fair, Fun" place to play! 

Thank you Terrell for stepping forward to become a leader in OUR CLUB!

Jim

• Michael Colangelo likes this

Michael Colangelo

Michael Colangelo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Region:Southern California
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:23
Congrats, Terrell!

Terrell Garrett

Terrell Garrett

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:3

Reluctantly, thank you.

On a serious note:  We have tire discussions and other supplementals starting in a few weeks.  I hope this time we can address it quickly and avoid bully pulpit discussions of non-relevance.  Before I begin these I will do the research and outline what options are available so we can stay within those bounds.

Also, we have a unique situation next year.  The runoffs are at Laguna and this for most is a once in a lifetime opportunity.  It does not matter if you get 35th out of 36 cars (where I will most likely be).  The chance to race in the "bigs" is unique.  We need to make sure that we have a large contingent from Oregon show up and do what they do in Laguna.  I don't see why we can't have 8 or more SM cars represented.  And yes, Kyle, we will support your B-Spec effort as well as every other class.  If you can't take a car down there consider signing up to crew for someone who is going.  Maybe you will get a free ride and other perks.  Our group has been great about supporting each other and that support will be necessary at Laguna.

In most regions there is maybe one hot shoe in a class.  We are a unique group in the United States as Oregon has not only some of the fastest drivers in the country, but also a whole bunch of them.  Look at the depth in the SRF and SM fields:  In each there are 5 - 7 drivers who are capable of a national championship win.  I would like to see Oregon go down there and not only fill the podium, but also surround it.  We all have a duty to help make this happen.  Additionally, there was some buzz Saturday night about getting some of our awesome workers down there.  I support that concept, feel that we have a number of workers who have earned the right, and want to see this happen.  Think about how you can help in this department.

The other thing I am going to ask of all of you is help with the school next spring.  As far as I am concerned the school encompasses three things:  Recruiting of people to enter the school, putting on a great, safe, and preparatory school, and retention afterwards.  Please go recruit your friends, cousins, shoestring relatives, and some guy in the parking lot who looks like he has enough money to race (women also, especially those with rich husbands that want to pour money into SCCA!)  Blow off work and come help with the school.  Then after the school, adopt a newbie.  Help them with tire pressures, let them follow you a few laps in practice, and get them hooked and up to speed (then go beat their a@#).  The bigger the car counts the cheaper the entry fees.

Regarding the discussion above, according to the GCR the Stewards report only to SCCA.  This does not mean they are omnipotent but they are kind of like the Judiciary and necessarily so.  While I cannot control I can advocate positions and success with the Stewards will really depend upon relationships.  They are good people and try to do their best.  Some of you might have noticed Saturday night that I ate with a couple of Stewards.  I intend on developing great relationships with them and we have already agreed to spend a lot of time together prior to next year's school so it runs smoothly.  After all, they issue the licenses and are the final word, we just put on the school.  Our volunteer crowd is great and unless someone pipes up with valid reasoning for not doing so, I want all of them to continue in their current positions.  Another thing I ask of you is to do something special for a volunteer.  Adopt them, give them a gift certificate for a meal somewhere, or just simply say thank you.  Without their help you don't race.

While SM is important to SCCA, it is only one of the contributors that make it work.  Equally important is every single car and driver that generates an entry fee.  You may not like every decision made, but please assume that every decision is at least supposed to be for the good of the Club overall and its long-term success.  That means that every group ends up at some point in the year with a crummy schedule.  The main thing is let's all go have fun, share the toys in the sandbox, and drive fast.

Terrell

• Bruce Wilson likes this

Jim Graffy

Jim Graffy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Car Number:01

Tires for SM are easy this year.  SM6, SM7, and H20 for all SCCA races, Regional and Majors.  For the Majors there is a grace period to transition from the SM6 to SM7.  The Runoffs will be SM7 / H2O.  See the November Fast Track for details.  My read is that the STL rules remain unchanged, so any DOT tire is still OK.  As I understand it, ICSCC has been following 1 year behind OR / NWR rules.  If that is the case, they will be going to SM6 / H20 this year and suspect they will allow the SM7.  There is an option to create an alternate tire SM Regional class, such as the SFR SMT.  I don't support this option.

It also needs to noted that to participate in the Runoffs you will HAVE to have a SCCA Full Competition License (replaces the Regional and National License).  You also need the SCCA License to run the Majors.  It is unclear at this time at what point in the NORPAC Divisional Championship series the SCCA License will be required, but my guess is that to get points, you will need the SCCA License.  Those with ICSCC ARR and IRR Licenses, as well as other sanctioning bodies, should have problem getting a SCCA License, just a bit of paper work and a check. 

Jim

Kyle Keenan

Kyle Keenan

Pass right

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Region:Oregon Region
  • Car Number:44

Thanks Terrell, I am glad to have the support of my SM racers :) I just hope that come Rose Cup and other events where all SM drivers paddock together, that I can throw my B-Spec in with everyone, otherwise it's going to be hard to split the team in 2 to try to field the SM and the B-Spec from separate areas in the paddock.

I'm interested in helping with the school, I should have 2 students interested in participating as well.

Edit: Terrell was much more fun when he had the Mexican party trailer. Now he's all growed-up and such....

• Derrick Ambrose likes this

#44 Team KBR/KKRProducts.com Spec Miata
#44 Team KBR/Dick Hannah Kia Rio B-Spec/ World Challenge TCB
#16 & #36 Blairco Spec Miata's, ICSCC

2014 SCCA B-Spec National Champion

Dick Hannah Dealerships | Kia Racing | Team-KBR.com | KKRProducts.com | DBB | Fast Specialties | Blairco Heating | SBOX Engineering | Sikk Shades by Eddie Bauer, JR | Hawk Performance

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Paul Hutt

Paul Hutt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Region:Northwest
  • Car Number:00

I

Paul Hutt

Paul Hutt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Region:Northwest
  • Car Number:00

I would but I am the NWR.  Tried to get the SCCA to let me in the OR region, but no luck.

PS:  Just 4 posts and no Warning Points.  How many do I get before I am banned from the forum.

The forum administrator at the M.net forum and I do not get along.  I am one point from being banned from his forum for life!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users