Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30

What's the benefit of the cross-bar in the trunk?  It would seem like the car's own structure is strong enough in that area that the extra bar would be unnecessary.

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

We had a car hit a concrete wall with the left rear corner. Hard enough to bend the "stub" between the crossbar and the floor mount. Had the cross bar not been there the trunk would have certainly folded and made repairing the car much more expensive. Maybe not worth fixing.

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Oh, "taken out", dinner and a movie ??

Sorry to hear. Were you getting ready for the 25 ?
J~

Let's keep to the thread...the comedy routine is getting old...and really poor timing

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

I am sorry, I've been there, done that, last year.

What I made light of was weather you crash or get taken out, your car still has the same damage and doesn't change anything.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

AW33COM

AW33COM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Region:NE
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:78

The tube I'm seeing in the trunk is a dead tube as it does not add to drivers safety.  More, I'm pretty sure it should never be welded that close to the landing perches.  Will not harm much in this case, but those are the rules.  When designing the cage you add minimum amount of elements to provide maximum driver's safety. 

One more technical tip: the rear cage down tubes should tie in as close to the shock towers (along the tower axis) as possible in order to create a better handling car. 

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Number:26

The tube I'm seeing in the trunk is a dead tube as it does not add to drivers safety.  More, I'm pretty sure it should never be welded that close to the landing perches.  Will not harm much in this case, but those are the rules.  When designing the cage you add minimum amount of elements to provide maximum driver's safety. 

One more technical tip: the rear cage down tubes should tie in as close to the shock towers (along the tower axis) as possible in order to create a better handling car. 

I'm a little confused.  First you say you see a "dead tube in the trunk"  then you say "One more technical tip: the rear cage down tubes should tie in as close to the shock towers (along the tower axis) as possible in order to create a better handling car."  Aren't the "dead tubes" close to the shock towers?  Maybe pictures of one of the cages you built for your car or cars would help explain what you mean.

Then you go on to say it shouldn't be welded that close to the landing perches and vaguely reference "but those are the rules".  What rules are you referring to.  

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

AW33COM

AW33COM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

I was talking about a tube that's technically known as Rear Strut Brace.  It does work, but in Spec Miata speeds it ends up being one of those "unnecessary" tubes in my opinion.

The technical tip was for:

1.  Rear Strut Brace
2.  Lower Rear Stay (SMs do not have it)
3.  Mid Rear Stay (SMs do not have it)

4.  Rear Down Tube (Upper Rear Stay)

They all should be connected with the chassis along the shock tower axis.  

The cage in my car was build by BSI, it's a good cage, but if I had to custom build it, it would be a bit different. 

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

I was talking about a tube that's technically known as Rear Strut Brace.  It does work, but in Spec Miata speeds it ends up being one of those "unnecessary" tubes in my opinion.

The technical tip was for:

1.  Rear Strut Brace
2.  Lower Rear Stay (SMs do not have it)
3.  Mid Rear Stay (SMs do not have it)

4.  Rear Down Tube (Upper Rear Stay)

They all should be connected with the chassis along the shock tower axis.  

The cage in my car was build by BSI, it's a good cage, but if I had to custom build it, it would be a bit different. 

???? So your technical tip was for the Strut Bracing that you think is unnecessary, am I following this?

And the Rules reference, can you point that out.  Are you saying the cage pictured is illegal?

AW33COM

AW33COM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Here, I finally found the link to the work I was referring to.  You can PM him and see if he can help.

forum page: http://honda-tech.co...=3110862&page=2

P1110233.jpg

P1110386.jpg

P1110696.jpg

P1110126.jpg

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Oik6dXm-0l0

• Johnny D and Tom Hampton like this

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Number:30

That looks like a pretty stout bridge!

• Keith Novak likes this

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Number:41
Ok, look. Aw33com you've struck a nerve. Are you a qualified, structural or stress engineer? Or do you have a decade of designing and refining cage designs for countless racecars? If not, then quite frankly, you are not qualified to spout the structural opinions that you are (beyond the fact that you own a computer).

I don't usually call people out. But, when it comes to safety critical systems it is important to have the pedigree to qualify your opinions.

For the record:I'm a chief engineer for a major defense contractor. I oversee the design and construction of major structural modifications to aircraft. I have entire teams of structure and stress engineers who do the detailed designs for these mods. None of them would make such flippant declarations without any substantiation.
  • Ron Alan, Keith Novak and Keith Andrews like this

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
Again, AW33com, start by putting your name in your signature. Schabi was the 1st name you used on the forum...is this part of your real name? Tom is speaking for a lot of us...

Ron

RAmotorsports

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:SEDiv
  • Car Number:57

I've been resisting the urge to post something similar.  It's nice to know who is posting, so you have an idea how much credibility to give.  I can't think of a good reason not to put some real name identity to a forum ID.

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA
Former SM racer (now back in a formula car)

Barber 2013 Topless

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

I'll ask Jim what he thinks, if he hasn't read this. I would guess it's voluntary. Real racers can step up.

You guys must figure out after a while, who's who? Posted video of them racing etc.

(no disrespect to anyone listed) Kid, wanna be, novice, a few year, pro, retired.

IMO, He's new, wants to be one of the guys, tries to help, talks like he know what he talking about.

A lot like me starting out here, sorry to say.

Like everything, you have a spectrum of people, and with him, he doesn't lurk, he posts.

He'll get better, with time.

J~

• Keith Novak and Jim Drago like this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
Yep...especially after a few gentle cattle prods :)

Ron

RAmotorsports

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

I'll ask Jim what he thinks, if he hasn't read this. I would guess it's voluntary. Real racers can step up.

You guys must figure out after a while, who's who? Posted video of them racing etc.

(no disrespect to anyone listed) Kid, wanna be, novice, a few year, pro, retired.

IMO, He's new, wants to be one of the guys, tries to help, talks like he know what he talking about.

A lot like me starting out here, sorry to say.

Like everything, you have a spectrum of people, and with him, he doesn't lurk, he posts.

He'll get better, with time.

J~

Ok, so everyone gets a gold star and a medal for trying.  Come on....... BS is BS. 

AW33COM
"I was talking about a tube that's technically known as Rear Strut Brace.  It does work, but in Spec Miata speeds it ends up being one of those "unnecessary" tubes in my opinion."

What speed does it become necessary?  What?

Thank you Tom for calling it correctly.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

While I am not one who goes crazy with extra bracing and bars in cages personally, I would never criticize someone who puts them in either. Especially if those using them felt they made the car better/stronger/safer in anyway. IMO, rarely do extra bars hurt anywhere other than overall weight and CG. I share some of the same opinions as others, sent Schabi a PM echoing similar comments. New guy, smart guy,(young guy maybe?) good intentions I'm sure. Posts don't always come off the way that people are in real life, just ask Jamz :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

Posts don't always come off the way that people are in real life, just ask Bench :)

:bigsquaregrin:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

svvs

svvs

do they sell spec training wheels yet?

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:12?

Guys I know AW33 from around the track.....he's a nice guy in real life.  New to miatas.

-Vick

Vick
www.volko.com
Black SM/SM2/"Slap Bracelet Throwback" #12 in the Northeast....if the car was made in the early 90's it should look like it.

1.6L forever!  Bring on your '99's and '01's!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users