Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88
I was kinda asking that from the "what was checked in Tech after the race" question.

If Cooke was DQ would we be talking a 35mm RP.
Or were the 99 running the 37 RP to keep up?

J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

KentCarter

KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:91

Can we assume that the 99's running had the timing wheel in place and the fuel pressure regulator such that they were maxing out the HP gain?

Just as much as you can assume they were sandbagging hard to get the rules changed, just like NA1.6 drivers were all last year. :)
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve D

Steve D

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:30

Can we assume that the 99's running had the timing wheel in place and the fuel pressure regulator such that they were maxing out the HP gain?

You can assume that the 99 Fowler was driving has the timing/FPR mods. I am almost certain that Brock's car did as well. I do not know about the others.

Steve DeVinney
Retired mediocre driver

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79

I also note that the races both days were only 9 laps. My biggest complaint with NASA - when time's up, you're done. SCCA does their best to run the full length of the race.

Denny, not at the SCCA National races that we race at. :angry:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79

I also note that the races both days were only 9 laps. My biggest complaint with NASA - when time's up, you're done. SCCA does their best to run the full length of the race.

Denny, not at the SCCA National races that we race at. :angry:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Weekend Warrior

Weekend Warrior

Racing to Cure ALS

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Well we raced at VIR this weekend and I think the field was very close. They took data from me Sunday but that may prove to be useless since I had to scrub tires in Qualifying then had a terrible start and lost 5-6 positions from 9th. Spent most of the time in traffic and had only a few clean laps. Still, the top 5 were very representative of all years.

Results from Saturday were also impressive, Whitis(99) and I(90) battling just like last year and two 1.6s (myself and Tyler Cooke) drag racing for 2nd. So far I am impressed with the changes. I guess I can still build my 99 since preseason rumors of its demise were just that.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
  • Car Year:1991
Wait - you mean the sky isn't falling?!?
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Steve D

Steve D

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Well we raced at VIR this weekend and I think the field was very close.

Alan - Congrats on the strong weekend! Can you give a run down of all the drivers and which year cars they drove?

Steve DeVinney
Retired mediocre driver

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Michael Novak

Michael Novak

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:Michigan
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:#9

I was kinda asking that from the "what was checked in Tech after the race" question.

If Cooke was DQ would we be talking a 35mm RP.
Or were the 99 running the 37 RP to keep up?

J~

Top 3 cars were brought in but I don't believe any where teched. My car 37mm plate, fuel and timing---Fresh Roush Engine. 2445 after the race though.
Majors Winner - Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Car Number:60

Denny:
Quityerbitchin ..Ya gotta get the HPDE cars on track!
Rick

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year
Powered by: Stewart Engines
Set up by: RAFT Motorsports

SM: The safest race car in the world. It can just
barely kill you.

Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Weekend Warrior

Weekend Warrior

Racing to Cure ALS

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Alan - Congrats on the strong weekend! Can you give a run down of all the drivers and which year cars they drove?

I think I am correct on this:

Saturday's Race 1.)Whitis-99, 2.)Olson-1.6, 3.)Cooke-1.6, 4.)Molaver-99, 5.)Lawson-1.6?

Sunday's Race 1.)Cooke-1.6, 2.)Whitis-99, 3.)Cawley-?, 4.)McBride-1.8(94), 5.)Molaver-99

If anyone knows different, please correct me.

* McBride was up front on Saturday, but as the "Wiley Whitis and pals" gang closed in - he ended up getting spun in t-1.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
  • Car Year:1991

Ya gotta get the HPDE cars on track!

Why?
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Nash Lawson

Nash Lawson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Region:Nasa SE, SCCA SE
  • Car Number:23
Guys,

I ran both of these events and was leading the race at CMP on Saturday before a royal screw up on the restart on the last lap. I also had fast lap time Saturday; and the Sunday race was a wash because of the Double Yellows. I think we may have had 5 laps of racing. We also ran a SM test session during lunch Saturday and the data was pulled from our traqmates. The cars looked pretty even to me. I don’t think CMP is the best test venue because the 1.6 does well there due to the lack of elevation change.

At VIR the engines in question from Alan’s results that I know, mine(Lawson=1.6) and McBride=1.6; I think Cawley has a 94 with a 1.8. We also ran an SM test session during the practice day on Friday and they pulled the Traqmate data again. I don’t know how they plan to use the data collected at VIR and CMP. It did seem that the cars were pretty even. I usually get pulled a little on the straights there and it seemed to happen less this past weekend but I didn’t think I had an advantage anywhere.

I would like to see them test at Road Atlanta because that is where it seems to me the 99 has an advantage.

The problem I see in their testing is all the results are affected by the different drivers and different cars and setups. The testing has to have some sort of baseline to ensure that the test results are repeatable everywhere.
Nash Lawson

Ti-Speed Engineering Driver

2012 Carolina Cup Pro Series SM Champion
2011 NASA SE SM Regional Champion
2010 NASA SE SM Regional Champion

Matt McBride

Matt McBride

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Region:NASA-SE / MA
  • Car Number:62

The problem I see in their testing is all the results are affected by the different drivers and different cars and setups. The testing has to have some sort of baseline to ensure that the test results are repeatable everywhere.

I'll second Nash here. To do a good statistical analysis of the differences between the cars, we'll need to get as many samples as possible, to figure out what's driver and what's car. This past weekend's event highlighted some of the familiar strong points of the 1.6's vs. 1.8's vs. 99's. I'm running an old crate motor, and am slightly down on power vs. most of the front runners, so as usual, I get caught pretty easily on straights. The '99 guys still seem to have a good straight-line advantage, especially apparent on the back straight, but not as much so as before. I couldn't even stay in a '99's draft last year. My nice, light, little 1.6 car still seems to have a handling advantage, as I'm seeing higher mid-corner and exit speeds than the '99's.

IMO, it looks like the 1.8L is the car to have at VIR this year. John was able to stick right with the top 1.6L cars in the corners, and had just a little more grunt coming out of Oak Tree, despite faster minimum speeds in the 1.6L cars. Running up with him was fantastic.

All in all, it seems that things are MUCH more fair this year. I was so ecstatic to be IN FRONT of a fast '99 for most of Saturday (until he got tired of it and sent me off T1). The racing this past weekend demonstrated that the cars seem to be very close. The top 5 or more on both days qualified within a second of each other. We didn't see the seperation of groups b/w the 99s and everyone else that we usually do.

-Matt

Steve D

Steve D

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

I would like to see them test at Road Atlanta because that is where it seems to me the 99 has an advantage.

Nash -
I am fairly certain we will be testing at Road Atlanta as well. Are you coming? It would be great to have data from the same cars at different tracks.

I understand and agree. If you could plug all the data into a spreadsheet and accurately predict what would happen under all circumstances, we wouldn't need to run the races. :lol: The data will not even be close to perfect given all the variables, but I believe (a) we can get/keep the cars close and (B) some people will criticize NASA and/or the process no matter what we do and regardless of results.

Thank you for running your car for the tests!

Steve DeVinney
Retired mediocre driver

Nash Lawson

Nash Lawson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Region:Nasa SE, SCCA SE
  • Car Number:23
Steve,

I wish I could make it to Road Atlanta but I will be running at CMP that weekend.

I do commend Nasa for being active and trying to keep the racing even and fun.
Nash Lawson

Ti-Speed Engineering Driver

2012 Carolina Cup Pro Series SM Champion
2011 NASA SE SM Regional Champion
2010 NASA SE SM Regional Champion

Matt McBride

Matt McBride

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Region:NASA-SE / MA
  • Car Number:62

I do commend Nasa for being active and trying to keep the racing even and fun.

Ditto.

Kyle Burkhardt

Kyle Burkhardt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Region:NASA Midwest
  • Car Number:12
Not being a smartass.

It would be nice to hear from the many respected and knowledgable folks who declared the 99 dead in NASA to offer an explanation or counter-point to the early evidence that seems to be indicating that the competition is still close. Granted, there are a lot of variables and it's still very early in the season, but the talk out there was that the 99s would be racing each other at the back of the pack--so much so that it has been suggested that they all bolt for PTE or leave NASA all together.

Just curious as I'm still preparing my 99 for the start of the NASA Midwest season.
Kyle Burkhardt
Team ///Miata #12
PajamaPants Racing
NASA Midwest
Posted Image
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Steve D

Steve D

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

It would be nice to hear from the many respected and knowledgable folks who declared the 99 dead in NASA to offer an explanation or counter-point to the early evidence that seems to be indicating that the competition is still close.

Given the small sample sizes at each race and low number of races, can we get a few more under our belts before either side attempts to bludgeon the other into reasonableness?

The 99-vs-pop-up, NASA-vs-SCCA, crips-vs-bloods, Red-Sox-vs-Yankees arguments are unlikely to change anyone's mind...

Signed,

Switzerland
  • Lance Snyder likes this

Steve DeVinney
Retired mediocre driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

... still preparing my 99 for the start of the NASA Midwest season.

Kyle are you planning to take your 99 to the Mid-Ohio event April 8-10 2011 ?

Signed,
Switzerland

Steve, Very very funny !!!
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users