dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:88
Wait a minute - you mean the sky isn't falling?
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
Not sure you guys are on the same page in FL.

We all learned a few things this last weekend...

1) FPR's are now a must have, if you want to run up front. John and Cliff both had them in their 1.6's

2) 37mm may be a touch too small, Alex and Sellin were both in well developed 99 cars. 39mm with 2420 lb might be the answer.

3) Plate has a greater effect than weight on all cars...almost everyone was a little overweight (no pun intended).

4) We need some top level drivers to pilot a 94-97 car to gather real world data...I'm certainly NOT one (yet).

5) All in all though, the NASA rule set seems closer to parity than the current SCCA set.

6) It would be great if BOTH organizations could get back to similiar (same) rule set...plate and weight swapping is cumbersome for both driver and tech.

Jim Blaisdell
NASA FL Spec Miata Series Director
5X Racing Team Driver
Rossini Racing Products Rep.
nasaflsm@gmail.com

J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Kyle Burkhardt

Kyle Burkhardt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Region:NASA Midwest
  • Car Number:12

Not sure you guys are on the same page in FL.

J~

I bet we see a small adjustment to the RP after the NASA Mid O event next month.
Kyle Burkhardt
Team ///Miata #12
PajamaPants Racing
NASA Midwest
Posted Image
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
  • Car Year:1991
Bet you don't.
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
What happened in SoCal, Road Atlanta, and Texas?

J~
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Blake Clements

Blake Clements

• Moderators
  • 305 posts
  • Car Number:6

J~

Report from Texas

97 1.8 (2 wins) and 1.6 (1 win) won the races. First 99 was about a three tenths to a half second back per fastest laps.

The best data point is one driver with immense track knowledge and a top prep 1.6 and 99. He ran the 1.6 on Saturday and 99 on Sunday. He was 9 tenths slower in the 99.

http://www.mylaps.co...t.jsp?id=632206

Clements 97, Udell 1.6, Gabriel 99, Palmer 1.6, Verges 1.6 Sat/99 Sunday

Blake

Blake Clements

http://www.blakeclements.com - Driver Coaching, Consulting, & Video/Data Analysis.

OPM Autosports/SP Induction Systems/X-Factor Racing/G-Loc Brakes/Traqmate/Bell Helmets

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner -

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

What happened in SoCal,

Not that many 99s out here. Sammy brought his 1.8NA.

http://www.mylaps.co...7380&perclass=1

http://www.mylaps.co...7383&perclass=1

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Can't bring a knife to a gun fight?
J~

William Keeling

William Keeling

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Region:Houston Region
  • Car Number:11

Report from Texas

97 1.8 (2 wins) and 1.6 (1 win) won the races. First 99 was about a three tenths to a half second back per fastest laps.

The best data point is one driver with immense track knowledge and a top prep 1.6 and 99. He ran the 1.6 on Saturday and 99 on Sunday. He was 9 tenths slower in the 99.

http://www.mylaps.co...t.jsp?id=632206

Clements 97, Udell 1.6, Gabriel 99, Palmer 1.6, Verges 1.6 Sat/99 Sunday

Blake

My guess is if you had driven your 99 you would have finished in the same spots -- just saying :)

William Keeling

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve D

Steve D

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:30

J~

Road Atlanta recap is here: Pot O Gold thread.

Unfortunately, we had another small field. I tried to get some skinny dude to drive my 99 but he said he had to be at VIR for some high maintenance "customers". :D

Steve DeVinney
Retired mediocre driver

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Road Atlanta recap is here: Pot O Gold thread.

Unfortunately, we had another small field. I tried to get some skinny dude to drive my 99 but he said he had to be at VIR for some high maintenance "customers". :D

Thanks Steve.
So who's driving what in the recap?
J~

Steve D

Steve D

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Thanks Steve.
So who's driving what in the recap?
J~

I can't seem to copy and paste the driver/car list from the other thread. Maybe I need iPad lessons.

Anyway, that's why I posted the link here. I wasn't trying to make it difficult.

Steve DeVinney
Retired mediocre driver

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
The link is fine, but I don't know the drivers.
Just asking for the year of car of the top 3.
Remember 99 subject. :D
J~

Steve D

Steve D

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

The link is fine, but I don't know the drivers.
Just asking for the year of car of the top 3.
Remember 99 subject. :D
J~

Ohhh. The car years are noted for the entire field to the right of the fast lap for each driver.

Sorry for my confusion about your question.

Steve DeVinney
Retired mediocre driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
Thanks, so we have a 99 winner. Everybody Happy?
J~

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

A bunch of our fast 99 guys just retired (I don't think the rule changes had anything to do with it), and there weren't many at Auto Club speedway. I don't think it would have mattered much though. At Auto Club bump drafting with a partner while you check your email on the long oval has the potential to completely scramble the order every lap, so lap times, results, or anything but drag racing from slow corners at that track shouldn't tell us much unless things are WAY off.

Since our fast guys stayed home (having been frozen to death the previous weekend with SCCA), most of us were goofing around on older tires.

Fun race though!
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

tLinder

tLinder

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Region:SouthWest
  • Car Number:40

My guess is if you had driven your 99 you would have finished in the same spots -- just saying :)

Blake did the best he could to give us a slight chance on Sat by starting at the back (or near the back) of a 25 car field for Race 1 :unsure:. (He was in 6th by lap 6 & finished 5th, 7 sec behind P1).

And you're probably right the results would be the same with Clements in his 99. Have to consider Verges didn't race his 99 by choice on Sun. (His 1.6 was taken out during Race 2 on Sat). Curious to what prep' level he had done on his 99 for the 2011 rules.

Toby Linder