Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88
Alex or anyone not bringing there 99 back.

Would you come back in your 99 if you had a 39mm RP?
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

5X Racing

5X Racing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:5

John, this isn't personal. I'm just correcting your synopsis of the weekend because I found it to be inconsistent with my findings. It's clear that you have an anti SCCA/anti top level prep attitude and you don't want to race against people that spend more time/money to prep their cars than you do (your words not mine).

P.S. I'm sorry that you didn't see the humor in Cliff's post race commentary, I'll see you with my '94 at the next one ;)

Excuse me for sounding personal, but I did feel a bit shafted when I heard you didn't provide any data from our test we set up with you, and now hearing that you used the free race session which we fought with the regional executives to grant you, to run the 99 (Cliff's or yours, doesn't matter because they are clones) without any plate at all. What was the purpose of that? We could have used that data to help your gripe about the 99's being too slow in NASA trim.

I don't think my synopsis needed correcting. Peoples findings are of their own discoveries from their own results and performance, like: my "findings" from how my car stacked up against your car that weekend. I wasn't speaking for your findings and what you thought of the weekend, I was explaining how I felt the weekend went from the viewpoint of a 1.6 owner and how the 1.6 cars compared to a top prepped 99. Am I wrong because I think that? We all know how you thought of the weekend now, so there are your findings, they are what they are. We disagree, and I am fine with that. It's really no different than somebody writing a race report of their weekends activities and results, mine was on what I thought of the new rules in action, like it or not, wrong or right, that's what I thought.

Sorry to SCCA loyalists that I might have upset inadvertently that think I have an "anti SCCA" attitude, it's not that way at all, I could care less where anybody chooses to race. I haven't been as interested in racing SCCA SM for a while and may seem overly excited about NASA because I have a blast racing with them, get contingency money, am able to put my father in a better learning environment for his development, have more customers there, have more potential to advertise my brand and business there, and get free beer and pizza on saturday night, but I still hold an SCCA license and will race at the SCCA races that interest me or are held on tracks that NASA doesn't visit. Mc Donalds and Burger King man, I like them both for different reasons but am in no way "anti SCCA". It's a great club that provides a place for us do what we love to do, race funny little cars and waste money. If there wasn't an option, I'd be racing a full SCCA schedule.
As far as racing against people with more money... :lol: I am destined to be racing against people with more money for the rest of my racing career! I am in the wrong sport if I believe that statement (apparently out of my own mouth)! I spend all of my upgrade budget and dyno time money on building new parts for our website, our business, and buying $1500 miata's off of craigslist. It's no mystery to me why I can't spend the same amount of money on my rig as others. Hmm, I'd better start my own class or start racing chumpcar/LeMons stuff (not a bad idea, we should institute a build cap! break the cap and you get something welded to the hood of your car!) Of course I don't want to race against people that spend more time and money on their cars, cause I don't have either of it! Who does really? That's what's so fun about going to the kart track, everybody pays $20 and whoever drives the best (and is not the fattest) wins! As far as time goes for developing my car... I sure do wish I had more of it to develop my car, then I could run with you and the other big dogs at the SCCA races and not be so happy about NASA's new rules! Time is rare in my life, as it is in many others, I'm sure our customers would be pissed if I was wrenching on my car instead of filling their orders, I am sure NASA FL would be pissed if I spend even less time then I do already being their race director, and I am now sure this forum is taking way too much of it. I envy the people that have time in their lives.

It is what it is Alex. My opinion, your opinion, we all have them like Jim said. No point in having a good old fashioned Mexican standoff here on something you could probably care less about (and something I am increasingly caring less and less about), as your priority is SCCA racing (your words, not mine ;)). On that note, I will retire from this topic. My wife has called a publishing house and secured me a novel deal, so my writing time beckons elsewhere...

P.S. I didn't know Cliff was such a dry humored comedian. Could have fooled me (and did). Guess I missed the punchline. I do know one thing, he surely wasn't "driving around" on Sunday to give me the win. Next one's in May, see ya there!

(All: I promise all future opinionated responses shall be of 3 sentence maximums)

John Adamczyk
Owner/Driver - 5X Racing

5X Racing

5X Racing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
After that, I think I'm ready for this:

John Adamczyk
Owner/Driver - 5X Racing

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
John
Respectfully, I share Alex's opinion. I know the prep level of his car and his ability. I think a better test would be to swap cars if you two could agree, my guess is Alex gains at least .5 plus in your car ( or any comparably prepped 1.6 car driven by 95% of the SM community and you or 95% of the SM community loses .5 or better in his car? You may be the fastest driver in the country , I don't know. But because Alex can get close in an uncompetitive car is no surprise too many of us. But I think if you swapped cars, you would see what you really had, right or wrong.
In SCCA we even have parity at the 3/8 oval :D Cliff's 1.6 won one of the heat races at Lanier Speedway this weekend. :o

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

5X Racing

5X Racing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

John
Respectfully, I share Alex's opinion. I know the prep level of his car and his ability. I think a better test would be to swap cars if you two could agree, my guess is Alex gains at least .5 plus in your car ( or any comparably prepped 1.6 car driven by 95% of the SM community and you or 95% of the SM community loses .5 or better in his car? You may be the fastest driver in the country , I don't know. But because Alex can get close in an uncompetitive car is no surprise too many of us. But I think if you swapped cars, you would see what you really had, right or wrong.
In SCCA we even have parity at the 3/8 oval :D Cliff's 1.6 won one of the heat races at Lanier Speedway this weekend. :o

Jim,

I'd love to have a go in his car, I agree it would be a good comparison test if we had ample practice time (I've never driven a 99 SM), with the suspension setup to our styles, but I can't afford to pay Alex for his car if I wreck it! Not sure he'd be willing to take my car (or give his) on a collateral deal. And the other way around, if he were to damage my car, it would be a gentlemans agreement to pay for the repairs. Not to mention it would put me out of the season if I lost my car. If there is a way to work out those finite details, then sure! But 0.5 seconds is a tough call to make determinations on both of our times, temperature effects our lap times greater than that down here, especially Miami in May.

I am 6'2 and 200 lbs, I don't fit well in cars built for guys the size of Alex. But hey, if possible, then I'll give it a go for sure. How about the May NASA Homestead event?

I saw that Lanier Speedway thing on youtube, I'd love to participate in that deal!

John Adamczyk
Owner/Driver - 5X Racing

5X Racing

5X Racing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
For anybody that hasn't seen this already, this is what Jim is talking about:

SM racing at Lanier circle track

John Adamczyk
Owner/Driver - 5X Racing

Lee Tilton

Lee Tilton

I wanna go faster!

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Region:WDC - NASA Mid-Atl
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:04

For anybody that hasn't seen this already, this is what Jim is talking about:

SM racing at Lanier circle track

As an ex-dirt track driver, that makes me want to run my SM on an oval!
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Chains

Chains

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Region:Central FL
  • Car Year:9199
  • Car Number:17
I had a great time at Lanier & Road Atlanta this past weekend, whole new respect for oval track racers and what they do, that is damn hard work on an oval track.

I agree with alot of the posts so far in this thread:

Alex is probably one of the top 10 SM drivers in the country, we did data on equal cars at Homestead, us switching both cars (my 99 car no plate equal type weight), Alex 1:47.3 , my self 1:47.4. I have ran a 1:47.5 in my 1.6 @ Homestead with the national motor in it. With the 150K bottom and the National head, best I could do was a 1:47.9 on tires from the Jan National 2011 (good not great, a few cords showing at the end of Sat race, more showing + steel belts at the end of Sun Race)

The results do not show you that my 1.6 has had no prep work really since the SIC of 2010, (I dont even wash it) Yet I can unload it from the trailer at a NASA event, and run with Alex in his 99 or my 99 that have been dynod', hundreds of hours of prep work, and not to mention powered by motors that rank in the top 5% SM has to offer, And go out there and run away from the field....

Now I joke alot, sandbag some, complain a little, but in the end, I really do want a fair race. I can't speak for everyone but I will say the day I can just run away from Alex in a top level 99 while in my DOP 1.6 with the junkyard bottom end. We do not have parity, it borderlines Insanity-----I thought insanity was 20 SM drivers going to a 3/8 mile OVAL track and racing , not for points, or Championships, or Podium finishes, but for the hell of it..

Compared to the current rule set and the choices of Insane options, I'll go back to Lanier - at least there I can complain about being DOP...

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

I had a great time at Lanier & Road Atlanta this past weekend, whole new respect for oval track racers and what they do, that is damn hard work on an oval track.

In circle track racing not only do you have to be concerned with the wall, but the 20 or 30 other jackwagons running out there ramming into you. In the chat tonight Drago said he didn't have time to look in his mirrors. Circle track racing is all bout driving off your mirrors. It's certainly a different animal.

Blake Clements

Blake Clements

• Moderators
  • 305 posts
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:6
Is this thing on? Did anyone hear me say that THE SAME DRIVER in two top prep cars (1.6/99) was ONE SECOND FASTER in the 1.6?

-Blake
  • Caveman-kwebb99 likes this

Blake Clements

http://www.blakeclements.com - Driver Coaching, Consulting, & Video/Data Analysis.

OPM Autosports/SP Induction Systems/X-Factor Racing/G-Loc Brakes/Traqmate/Bell Helmets

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner -

George Munson

George Munson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:27
John,

You know I love you like a brother and I would love to help you in anyway I can. The biggest problem I see is without scales the testing would not be accurate. I know the cross changes very little however the side to side weight does. So changing back and forth in races would be a little tough. I've asked this question several times before and knowone has even tried to answer, "If the HP is now this close, why the hugh weight difference? I don't buy the "torque" is equal to almost 100 pounds. Maybe during a test day we can get some data. Make sure Jim has a plate in his trailer. We are doing some "Chin Events" and that might be a fair time for some data collecting.

Bottom line, I own one of each cars and have felt they are very even in SCCA trim. I would like a tick of torque for my 1.6, but thats just me. For myself as I stated before I want my cake and eat it too. I don't want to spend that extra hour or two preping for a NASA Race only to have to change back. Call me lazy but my time for this is limited. Keep in mine I can make "weight" in either trim, some can't. This is suppose to be fun. As I said before we need the crossover to support the class. You have worked way too hard to watch it turn the other way and thats the only reason I'm speaking up.

We can talk later about some testing.

George
  • Caveman-kwebb99 likes this

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Is this thing on? Did anyone hear me say that THE SAME DRIVER in two top prep cars (1.6/99) was ONE SECOND FASTER in the 1.6?

-Blake

The reason the SKY IS FALLING is that nobody is listening! People want to hear what they want to hear even after reading posts that state the contrary.

The SKY IS FALLING!

Blake 1 second is parrity NO? lol

K. Webb