Photo

SFR SCCA Driver School March 2011 - Who is going?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22
Sweet more people running with NCRC for more track time!
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

Guest_Yelli1_*

Guest_Yelli1_*
  • Guests

Sweet more people running with NCRC for more track time!

Very cool! Maybe I'll get to see you guys race on ESPN or something.

Phillip Holifield

Phillip Holifield

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:20
I'll try to come watch on Sunday. My friend Tim Myrtle will be doing the school
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

Dan Cooper

Dan Cooper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Region:33 - San Francisco
  • Car Number:40 ;-)
Wanna try and carpool Phil?

We could meet where 680/80 split...?

Ron, you gunna go?
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Phillip Holifield

Phillip Holifield

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Car Number:20
Sure, I'll probably be going for Sunday only. I'll let you know when we get closer
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Wanna try and carpool Phil?

We could meet where 680/80 split...?

Ron, you gunna go?

I will be going Sunday for sure...early :D

If I take the gas hog we can get a bunch in it!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Dan Cooper

Dan Cooper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Region:33 - San Francisco
  • Car Number:40 ;-)
Well can I hitch a ride Ron? And if we can make it work, we can pick up Phil?

I split the gas or get breakfast and lunch or something.

I guess if you take the truck i'll be buying you lunch all season...
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Well can I hitch a ride Ron? And if we can make it work, we can pick up Phil?

I split the gas or get breakfast and lunch or something.

I guess if you take the truck i'll be buying you lunch all season...

Actually my truck gets 50% better mileage than the Yukon XL! But Diesel is at $4 as you know...yikes!!
We'll work it out and we can pick up Phil also.

Ron

RAmotorsports

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
It was nice meeting the people that took part in the Sat Ground School.

Is anyone else waiting to get a number on a new car?

The people at Tech on Sat, wouldn't complete my Annual b/c I haven't been assigned a number. Colleen from SCCA who is working on getting everything in order for the Driving School confirms that there are exactly 4 numbers available and none cross over to ITA. She is waiting on the powers that be to figure something out.

Tech says that painter's tape for numbers is not acceptable. Colleen says there must be some flexibility until the issue is sorted out and will get back to me. I'm confused overall but will take the logical approach and show up with painter's tape. :)

Anyone else in this situation?
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

The people at Tech on Sat, wouldn't complete my Annual b/c I haven't been assigned a number. Colleen from SCCA who is working on getting everything in order for the Driving School confirms that there are exactly 4 numbers available and none cross over to ITA. She is waiting on the powers that be to figure something out.

Tech says that painter's tape for numbers is not acceptable. Colleen says there must be some flexibility until the issue is sorted out and will get back to me. I'm confused overall but will take the logical approach and show up with painter's tape. :)

Anyone else in this situation?

You can pick up Vinyl tape at most hardware stores like Ace.
Or get #88 and cut or white out (in your case) the numbers into whatever number they give you.
Hope you don't get 1 or 7.
Or wait for the very last moment to get the # from Colleen and then run to Fast Signs or Sign-O-Rama and have them made.
Looks like 18, 22, 26, 33 are open.
26 is open in ITA.
There are a Reserved number request form you can fill out. Not sure you meet the requirements.
http://www.sfrscca.o...t/view/4410/96/
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

We ran a different number twice last year...if I understand correctly you can't get a permenant # until after one season.
We just showed up at the school with a number which was used in the log book...got lucky and used the same number first race weekend. Next weekend we had to alter our number. This is why as a rookie you but down several numbers on the entry. Your back-up number should be a version of the number you put on your car so you can modify it with colored tape. PM me Alberto and I'll give you an idea of what numbers may work based on last year. #37 to start as I don't think the Doc has a SM car this year.

Ron

RAmotorsports

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

We ran a different number twice last year...if I understand correctly you can't get a permenant # until after one season.
We just showed up at the school with a number which was used in the log book...got lucky and used the same number first race weekend. Next weekend we had to alter our number. This is why as a rookie you but down several numbers on the entry. Your back-up number should be a version of the number you put on your car so you can modify it with colored tape. PM me Alberto and I'll give you an idea of what numbers may work based on last year. #37 to start as I don't think the Doc has a SM car this year.

There are various rules around how long you can keep a number, how many races you need for the number to be your permanent number for the season (3 races as a rookie) etc. The details is in the Supps that JohnnyD just posted - or can be found on the SFRSCCA web site.

Sending you a PM Ron.

Thanks.

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

You can pick up Vinyl tape at most hardware stores like Ace.

J~

Unless I'm searching for the wrong thing, that vinyl tape stuff is pretty expensive...

I just ordered this DIY number kit from Pegasus Racing so this should get me by for a while.

http://www.pegasusau...sp?Product=3354

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
I guess this is it.

http://www.acehardwa...hId=54765028183

My store has 2" wide single rolls for like a dollar or 2.

J~
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
That is much better than what I found on Home Depot's site. Searching for vinyl tape revealed some $80+ tape!!

Juan Pineda

Juan Pineda

You can sleep in your car, but you can't race your house.

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:34
So the cheesy way to make numbers and lettering is with shelf paper. That's what I used for MY driver's school, bought from Walmart. The grid on the back makes it easy to draw out the characters. I used those markings for my whole first year. Just don't leave it on for too long, or it becomes a pain to peel off. Walmart also had some florescent orange cardboard that I used for the orange sticker requirement.

-Juan

CheckerLap.com -- Your race results!

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
Did a nut and bolt torque check on the suspension parts last week and bled the brakes, rotated tires, torqued wheels. Car is ready.

The DIY numbers from Pegasus arrived and I applied the number 5 to my car. The stuff works really nice (see pic). I even have some extra which I am going to use for the 'N' we need on the side of the car.

Stopped in at Johnny D's house to check out his trailer that he kindly loaned me for the school. Thanks John!

Need to get the trailer plug and brake controller installed on Monday. Tow vehicle gets 2 new tires and an alignment on Tues. Changed the oil, replaced tie rods and did the belt in that beast (F250) on Sat.

Need to either stop by a dry cleaner to sow the SCCA patch onto the suit or break out the staple gun. :)

I will be #5 for the driver school. Will see about future.

Just about ready to go.

Attached Files

EscapeDan

EscapeDan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Car Number:24
Great weekend everybody!! Huge thanks to all the workers, you sure put on an outstanding event. I helped out with the landscaping more then a few times over the weekend. Where do I send the bill for my services?? Haahaa.

Can't wait to see you all at the races.

Dan Stampf
#24 Camo Miata

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
So, I graduated and got the diploma. What a fun event. Met a lot of cool people and fellow students.

A huge THANK YOU to JohnnyD for lending me his trailer and coming up on Friday to help me through Sat and Sun. It was so helpful (and less stressful) having someone around to help and offer advice.

I was fighting my own inexperience with setup, the car, the tires (6/32 shaves) and race craft throughout the weekend until the very last race. Was starting with pressures that were too low and wasn't getting the Toyos up to correct pressures (around 39-40). Was struggling for grip until I finally got the pressures up. Once I did that, I finally had grip comparable to my fellow competitors and was finally able to do a better job keeping up with the pack and actually racing others for position.

Met a lot of very cool people and made some new friends.

I am also very happy that I attended Juan's Art of Road Racing class in Jan. Learned a lot there that I applied to the school.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
Alberto looking for a trailer to buy, enclosed preferred, I think.
PM him with what you got.
He's on a budget.
J~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users