Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

I perspnally load 6-7 sets of wheels and tires to go to ever event, maybe its just a fluke but everytime I pick up TR wheels I think I am loading some truck wheels. 

Only other guy I know who brings more tires then me is some crazy fast dude from Texas... 

Frank sent me a pic of a TR wheel on a scale with the number of 13.9 I believe...  that is nowhere near 13.2 thatsover a half pound of rolling wieght, Any of you guys who like the TR wheels I have a set I will trade you for D force and my TR were used once for racing.

why do people shave tires? oh yeah the weight...  why do people run sort studs?  oh yeah the weight... why do people remove the rear dampner from thediff? oh yeah the weight... 

to each his own I guess its just One cavemans opinion...

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:SEDiv
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:57

The important measurement is not how heavy they feel, but how much faster they feel.  My Team Dynamics wheels feel about .5s faster than the TR's, but I expect the Jongboeds will feel about .25s faster. 

Of course, your cerebral and physical mileage may vary.  :-)

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

philstireservice

philstireservice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Tr wheels are also noticeably heavier to the feel just picking them up. Rotating weight means slower period. So its a matter of trying to win or trying to just race. The margin of victory gets smaller and smaller by the day! Doing every possible thing is no longer an option its just flat mandatory if you really want to win. This is still a drivers class but there are a crap ton of very talented drivers in sm and every .oo1 is important in the end. The whole game is improve yourself and your sled or get left behind. It is like doing a back flip at the x-games you better bring more then just that next time u show up because there will be 10 guys who can do that next time...

I'm not pro or con on the TRM wheel but - Jim Drago runs the TRM wheel....hmmm???

http://philstireservice.com Enkei Team Dynamics The Miata Wheel Motegi Apex Wedsport Hoosier Toyo BFG Michelin Nankang Federal

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

Is there a nice summary list captured anywhere of 15x7 wheels that meet the minimum weight requirement?

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

I'm not pro or con on the TRM wheel but - Jim Drago runs the TRM wheel....hmmm???

I have witnessed at least 3 different brand rims on his car, so you point must be this:

He is one of a very few in the class that could run on flat tires and win a race!  I know I could add 100lbs of weight to his car and not tell him and he would go out and win.  Using him as a measuring stick in many regards is helpful, but I am not sure .5 per wheel is something he is a poster child of.  He is also one of the few that could win on 5 cycle tires with everyone else on stickers, so does that mean we should all use 5 cycle tires now??? 

Like I already said TR wheels IMO are heaviest, if you think that doesnt matter then run them...  Wasnt this threat about Jungbloued wheels anyway???  if they are close to 13lb then they are probably good. 

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

philstireservice

philstireservice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

I have witnessed at least 3 different brand rims on his car, so you point must be this:

He is one of a very few in the class that could run on flat tires and win a race!  I know I could add 100lbs of weight to his car and not tell him and he would go out and win.  Using him as a measuring stick in many regards is helpful, but I am not sure .5 per wheel is something he is a poster child of.  He is also one of the few that could win on 5 cycle tires with everyone else on stickers, so does that mean we should all use 5 cycle tires now??? 

Like I already said TR wheels IMO are heaviest, if you think that doesnt matter then run them...  Wasnt this threat about Jungbloued wheels anyway???  if they are close to 13lb then they are probably good. 

Actually Kosei and Team Dynamics are some of the heaviest wheels in the class. The point was there are many factors that affect performance, but I'm sure you know that, you are a racer and a good one at that. And yes, wheel weight is one of them. But in my professional opinion .5 lbs is not the breaking point for use of a wheel. I'm sure you could win on Jongbloed wheels, or TD wheels or TRM wheels and probably have. I'm concerned with safety and quality first. If a few ounces makes them safer and stronger along with design, than that is where I'll put my money. I think all the wheels offered for Spec Miata are very similar in quality and safety. That is why we offer probably the biggest selection of SM wheels in the country. From a racers stand point it really comes down to personal preference and price....oh and not to forget......the ability to turn all that into results!

http://philstireservice.com Enkei Team Dynamics The Miata Wheel Motegi Apex Wedsport Hoosier Toyo BFG Michelin Nankang Federal

mazdaspd

mazdaspd

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Year:2001

Sorry to bring this topic back up. But does anyone know where the Jongbloed Spec Miata wheels are made? On their website it says that they have manufacturing facilities in California, but can anyone confirm that the spec miata wheel is made here?

And if anyone has pictures of them on a car please post them up.

philstireservice

philstireservice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Sorry to bring this topic back up. But does anyone know where the Jongbloed Spec Miata wheels are made? On their website it says that they have manufacturing facilities in California, but can anyone confirm that the spec miata wheel is made here?

And if anyone has pictures of them on a car please post them up.

They are not made in the US. They are made in China. We are the exclusive distributor.

philstireservice

philstireservice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Dforce = $115 at Phil's

Jongbloed = $115 at Phil's

Momo = $129 at Phil's also free shipping on these now...:)

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Sorry I can't find a static on "right now" but here's my car running the silver ones:

http://www.clarusstu...017a4d6c4c12df3

Click the "close" box to remove the ordering assistance splash page.

Oh, and I wanted to make sure I got a shot of the right side as I had a minor "wrapped tire wall" incident on the left side.

:cheerful:

• Stelvio likes this

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

And after buying two sets of these, truly my only complaint about them is the lug bore holes are entirely too narrow and will be marred by the socket/require multiple impact gun hits due to the wheel sitting off the centering hub (not flat to the hub face).

IOW - these would not be the wheels I'd run if I were looking for endurance racing wheels.

The K1s, Momos, TD2 (old 5-spoke style) have a flat "bowl" where all four lug holes permit ~3/4s of each lug nut to be exposed making them a lot easier to quickly tighten down with a gun.

Other than that, give Phil a ring and get-ya-some!

philstireservice

philstireservice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

And after buying two sets of these, truly my only complaint about them is the lug bore holes are entirely too narrow and will be marred by the socket/require multiple impact gun hits due to the wheel sitting off the centering hub (not flat to the hub face).

IOW - these would not be the wheels I'd run if I were looking for endurance racing wheels.

The K1s, Momos, TD2 (old 5-spoke style) have a flat "bowl" where all four lug holes permit ~3/4s of each lug nut to be exposed making them a lot easier to quickly tighten down with a gun.

Other than that, give Phil a ring and get-ya-some!

Use a 17mm lug nut and you won't have any problem

The new batch have the lug nut holes opened up more...........thank you.

• RussMcB likes this

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Thanks for the update Phil.  I do run the 17mm lugs and went out and bought a thin-wall socket too - this has improved the ease of installation.

Do you have any before/after pictures of the revised lug holes?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users