52 replies to this topic

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

That be me buddy! Thanks for manning that grille!

Very cool...I like putting names to faces on here! Hoping to catch a ride with someone(I can crew for)up to check out Portland!

• Kyle Keenan likes this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Inferno

Inferno

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:81

A shout out to Ron Alan, thanks for the BBQ dinner it was over the top good. I was great to see everyone again and catch up, see you all next race.

• Juan Pineda and Kyle Keenan like this

Dan Cooper

Dan Cooper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Region:33 - San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:40 ;-)

A shout out to Ron Alan, thanks for the BBQ dinner it was over the top good. I was great to see everyone again and catch up, see you all next race.

The man can grille that's for sure! And will gladly feed anyone that comes by with a smile and a story to share. If you ask nice enough he'll sell you some parts and change your motor too! 

Ron Alan is the guy you want in your pit!

Oh and great job to all and all that stuff ;-) Rusty, too bad about the door…again..maybe talk to Ganassi about a Target sponsorship deal?

• Bad Rusty likes this
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Thanks Dante...glad to see you back out! Nothing better than food and drink to bring old friends and new together!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:68

You can crew for me Ron.  Together we could feed the entire field.

• Ron Alan and Kyle Keenan like this

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Juan Pineda

Juan Pineda

You can sleep in your car, but you can't race your house.

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:34

Race results posted here!

http://checkerlap.com/club/sfrscca

CheckerLap.com -- Your race results!

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Sebastian Landy

Sebastian Landy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Number:49

I would have posted sooner, but I had to jump into school straight off of a Red-eye flight and haven't had time to gather my thoughts.

I’d like to thank everyone from the San Francisco region for making my visit there this past weekend great.  The registration folks were very helpful, and the whole process was efficient and easy. When we arrived at the track late on Thursday we were greeted by Ron Alan, who welcomed us to the region and wished us luck.  His sound advice to walk the track was heeded and I managed to get to turn 5 before we were kicked off, because apparently a 'walk in the park' is forbidden at Laguna!  Thanks to Jason, Marty and crew from Atlanta Motorsports Group for providing a great car that was especially well set up for the wet/dry conditions on Sunday. Thanks also to Mark Drennan for sharing his local knowledge and expertise to get me up to speed quickly. He was most generous in selflessly giving away all the tricks that normally take many years and tires to perfect! Saturday’s race was good for me and while I managed to hold onto the top five I was too far off the pace of the locals to continue the classroom session on track. I lucked into a P2 spot for Sunday’s race as the track continued to dry during our portion of the split qualifying session. (Why don’t you guys have SMT and SSM qualify as a separate group, instead of splitting SM? The numbers aren’t quite 50/50, but it would prevent the situation we had for Sunday where the guys with even numbers were significantly handicapped). 

Sunday’s start for me was perfect, and big thanks to Steven Powers who pushed me ahead of Will Schrader coming into 2 where I almost threw it all away by locking up and then drifting it around the hairpin, coming to what seemed like a complete stop! I thought I was going back at least five spots but luckily was pointed perfectly for a straight shot into 3 and that recovered the lead headed into 4. After that I just tried to find where the grip was and maintain the gap to Mark. Fortunately I had some lapped cars between me and Will and Charlie when the double yellow came out, and once again equipped with generously provided local knowledge I was able to get a good gap for the remaining two laps, which let me breathe a little easier! All in all a great weekend for me made possible by many people and I appreciate the sincere congratulations from the other drivers in particular, (Thanks Will and Juan, nice to meet you both!). The biggest mistake I think I made was convincing my Dad that a ‘Red Eye’, flight back to DC and then straight to school was a good idea!

All in all, I think that Laguna is a top-notch facility and a great track, and whoever wins the Runoffs there will be a worthy champion!

• Ron Alan, Juan Pineda and Kyle Keenan like this

Don't drive like my brother

2013 MARRS SM Champion

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Juan Pineda

Juan Pineda

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

I'm starting 11th in a slippery race of attrition. Much amusement, especially the start. The sliver 37 ahead is confused about his starting row. The right side takes off way before the green. Big mess in T2. Rusty is trying to hold his door closed while driving, but still gets his other hand up to give a point-by in T9. Wait, who's steering? Last lap traffic jam going up the hill while Mike and Chris in SMT duke it out between the lappers and with an angry mob of SMs in tow. I was happy to bring it home in one piece. Fast forward to 6:00 for the start. Enjoy!

Final race results here: http://checkerlap.co...f18330002604df5

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

I would have posted sooner, but I had to jump into school straight off of a Red-eye flight and haven't had time to gather my thoughts.

I’d like to thank everyone from the San Francisco region for making my visit there this past weekend great.  The registration folks were very helpful, and the whole process was efficient and easy. When we arrived at the track late on Thursday we were greeted by Ron Alan, who welcomed us to the region and wished us luck.  His sound advice to walk the track was heeded and I managed to get to turn 5 before we were kicked off, because apparently a 'walk in the park' is forbidden at Laguna!  Thanks to Jason, Marty and crew from Atlanta Motorsports Group for providing a great car that was especially well set up for the wet/dry conditions on Sunday. Thanks also to Mark Drennan for sharing his local knowledge and expertise to get me up to speed quickly. He was most generous in selflessly giving away all the tricks that normally take many years and tires to perfect! Saturday’s race was good for me and while I managed to hold onto the top five I was too far off the pace of the locals to continue the classroom session on track. I lucked into a P2 spot for Sunday’s race as the track continued to dry during our portion of the split qualifying session. (Why don’t you guys have SMT and SSM qualify as a separate group, instead of splitting SM? The numbers aren’t quite 50/50, but it would prevent the situation we had for Sunday where the guys with even numbers were significantly handicapped). 

Sunday’s start for me was perfect, and big thanks to Steven Powers who pushed me ahead of Will Schrader coming into 2 where I almost threw it all away by locking up and then drifting it around the hairpin, coming to what seemed like a complete stop! I thought I was going back at least five spots but luckily was pointed perfectly for a straight shot into 3 and that recovered the lead headed into 4. After that I just tried to find where the grip was and maintain the gap to Mark. Fortunately I had some lapped cars between me and Will and Charlie when the double yellow came out, and once again equipped with generously provided local knowledge I was able to get a good gap for the remaining two laps, which let me breathe a little easier! All in all a great weekend for me made possible by many people and I appreciate the sincere congratulations from the other drivers in particular, (Thanks Will and Juan, nice to meet you both!). The biggest mistake I think I made was convincing my Dad that a ‘Red Eye’, flight back to DC and then straight to school was a good idea!

All in all, I think that Laguna is a top-notch facility and a great track, and whoever wins the Runoffs there will be a worthy champion!

Sorry for giving you bum info on walking the track after hours!! I've seen people on bikes several times and just assumed it wasnt an issue...sorry! Now that you have beat Mark...might be fair to say you'll be on your own...haha! Seriously, another example of the class act Mark is!

Good luck in your upcoming race back at Laguna! 

Ron

RAmotorsports

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:12

Please tell me that's not Rusty taking a nose in the driver door again!!! 

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Juan Pineda

Juan Pineda

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Please tell me that's not Rusty taking a nose in the driver door again!!! 

OK. But I will say that TC builds a really strong cage!

• Alberto likes this

Juan Pineda

Juan Pineda

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

My Saturday race. Starting 23rd. Advance to 7:15 for the start. Full results here: http://checkerlap.co...f18330002604717 Enjoy!

powerss

powerss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Region:ARiZONA
  • Car Number:145

Thanks Dante...glad to see you back out! Nothing better than food and drink to bring old friends and new together!

Thanks again Ron.  The food was fantastic and we even had leftovers for lunch the next day. I was bummed that I was not feeling good Friday night and had to crash at 7:30.  Definitely not my usual.

I felt like I was in F1 with all the fine California wines served with dinner,  there were some really good wineries represented. 

The SFR ran the event without a glitch and they were so accommodating and thankful for us coming up there, so much so that they went out of their way to find me a place to park and camp in the RV Sunday night at the track even though we had to leave the paddock.

Thanks to Juan who gave me some pointers after the first session that helped alot.

Barrett hit me up for some cash to buy the video showing me just how far I was missing my apexes   :spin:  After that I really worked on hitting them and got at least a little better.  I never could do any work on T3 Sunday because of the river at the turn in that never went away. 

Nice meeting sooooo many new people, somehow Dean B. can remember everybody's name but that is a weakness for me.

I second Rusty on how much fun it was to drive in the rain with the H2Os.  Mine were even 2 years old with 1 HC on them and they still worked great.

Seb

Your welcome! Now I want to go back and look at my video.  The last thing I wanted to do on this trip is damage equipment so I was trying to stay in line until things got sorted out.

Sorry I did not get a chance to meet you in person but I know you were running strong all weekend cus' I kept hearing your name over the PA.

Steve

Steven Powers
Arizona Region
2009 SoPAC Division Champion
2013 SoPAC Division Champion
2019 Western Conference Champion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users