Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

3.273 pass 3.274 fails Scca has a zero tolerance approach too there rules

For SCCA Tech you get .5+/- off of the smallest measurement UNLESS what is being measures has an ABSOLUTE maximum/minimum....  So being out of round in cylinder bore is .006, you actually could be .011 and still be legal....  Nobody is cheating like that....  No gain...in fact you would have piston slap and poor fitting rings.  If I measured this bore, I would take multiple measurements looking for variance....  I might even measure multiple bores to see if you have a terrible machinist or a really old motor...

• FTodaro likes this
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts

I may have asked this before..

Has anyone writen/video, a manual of sorts for tech inspection for the volunteers ??

J~

Yes, the SMAC did an entire book with instructions and photos during the old compliance fee tech....  All of it is still relevant.  

Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

While watching them perform the test (With a contraption I am not familiar with), it became apparent to me that there were some suspect accuracy issues because of unsteady hands. I asked for another person to perform the test and WALLA! I was at 83MM? Or whatever was the exact spec.  The previous readings taken when I was at the drivers meeting were 85 and 86 (With some decimals

Mike, Sean, Jim and others made reference to this or another sort of through the spark plug hole cylinder bore measuring tool.

Can we improve on a given tool or concept a better tool. First we need to ask ourselves, what are we going to do with the measurement taken with this tool? I would suspect, it's a red or green flag tool. Red flag, the head comes off, green flag your good to go.

Within this address https://www.hyperrac...?product=80-700  you'll find a through the spark plug hole cylinder bore measuring tool. This tool maximum capability is 70 mm or 2 3/4 inch diameter approx. We need a 3 1/4 inch diameter tool which may be out there that I haven't found. As you can see the tool has a cost. Also found a similar tool with longer stems, don't know the diameter capacity. This tool is $100.00 more than the first tool.

Mike Collins, you seem to have had experience using a similar tool. Care to elaborate, manufacture name, good, bad,??? 

Tool use?

Improvements?

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts

They make a bigger version of that tool.  The problem is "tech" inspectors think that by using this tool they can actually measure bore....you can't....I can tell you with this tool if you have a standard bore, .010 over or more.  I cannot tell you with any certainty if you are slightly over....  I can use it to decide standard or over bore and I can set up the whistler to tell me all I really need to know...

Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

I can tell you with this tool if you have a standard bore, .010 over or more.  

I cannot tell you with any certainty if you are slightly over....

I can use it to decide standard or over bore and I can set up the whistler to tell me all I really need to know...

Mike, from experience are you saying, this tool with a clutch micrometer you can not measure accurately to less than .010? If true what are the weakness of the bore tool, users capability?

Do we manufacture special pistons for this 10 over bore?

I'll bite on the Whisler telling you all you really need to know. Are you using the Wihstler backasswards by knowing that a measured to the edge engine will make "specific" volume/audiable sound that the Whistler will convert to a accecptable compression ratio number for a given engine? When the volume/audiable is up or down from that "specific" the compression ratio will be more or less. Have you ever DQ'ed anyone for bore over size based on a Whistler results? Has anyone ever been DQ"ed for over bore based on a Whistler results. Or is the Whistler bore results a red or green flag with reference to head off for further measurement or head on and go home.

Learning is good, correct.  

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts

The bore tool does not actually measure anything.  Its like opening an umbrella until it stops in the bore...closing it, taking back out through the spark plug hole, open it up the same amount and measure that....

Yes you can use the whistler as a go/no-go....if somebody were to overbore a motor and you whistled it at what it is supposed to be the reading would be way low...

Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Mike or anyone, I suspect the measurement would have more accuracy if the measurement were made with the umbrella opened within in cylinder bore. Thoughts??? 

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts

Mike or anyone, I suspect the measurement would have more accuracy if the measurement were made with the umbrella opened within in cylinder bore. Thoughts??? 

tool doesn't work that way.  This particular tool has tons of variance.. you have to hold it PERFECTLY straight.  Just let the tool touch the edges of the bore...dont press them against the edge or the when you measure it, it will be larger...

Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

No one else wants to play.

My intent is to fab a similar/different tool without the knobs. The large diameter outside piece will have a pilot (no threads) fit in the threaded plug hole/bottoms out on plug mount surface and will have a soft rubber bushing that fits inside the recess in the valve cover to pilot the large outside diameter piece. Also the large diameter outside piece will protrude enough above the valve/head cover so there is length for finger slots 180* apart for extending and retracting the umbrella center rod. The top end of the large outside diameter piece's end will be flat/square with the world. The top end of the umbrella center rod will also be flat/square with the world. When the umbrella is open the umbrella center rod top end will be below the top end of the large diameter outside piece. Take a depth micrometer and measure from the top end of the large diameter outside piece to the top end of the umbrella center piece. One will calibrate this dimension end to end for a specific bore diameter and recalibrate as required through use of this tool. During debug/proving process, the umbrella levers will be improved as required to eliminate issues. Fabing a umbrella tool to this measuring process IMHJ will eliminate several current issues.

Your thoughts???  

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

No one else wants to play.

My intent is to fab a similar/different tool without the knobs. The large diameter outside piece will have a pilot (no threads) fit in the threaded plug hole/bottoms out on plug mount surface and will have a soft rubber bushing that fits inside the recess in the valve cover to pilot the large outside diameter piece. Also the large diameter outside piece will protrude enough above the valve/head cover so there is length for finger slots 180* apart for extending and retracting the umbrella center rod. The top end of the large outside diameter piece's end will be flat/square with the world. The top end of the umbrella center rod will also be flat/square with the world. When the umbrella is open the umbrella center rod top end will be below the top end of the large diameter outside piece. Take a depth micrometer and measure from the top end of the large diameter outside piece to the top end of the umbrella center piece. One will calibrate this dimension end to end for a specific bore diameter and recalibrate as required through use of this tool. During debug/proving process, the umbrella levers will be improved as required to eliminate issues. Fabing a umbrella tool to this measuring process IMHJ will eliminate several current issues.

Your thoughts???  

If I had my choice and the end result was the same, I'd go noninvasive with the whistler than the measurement route that appears to be sketchy.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

If I had my choice and the end result was the same, I'd go noninvasive with the whistler than the measurement route that appears to be sketchy.

J~

The Whistler is also a go/no-go gauge, not an end result dimensional measurement. How many regions you know that have Whistlers at $2,300.00 per???

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

I've been whistled :)

Just saying if at all possible, work smart. Not hard, expensive, time consuming or complicated, especially with volunteers. :twocents:

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Chris70

Chris70

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Region:NER

S.A.C. racing  bought one last year and it was more like 2.5 k. Our cam doctor plus was almost twice that.

And they are both just measuring tools.

And we wonder why the price of racing keeps going up.

Ademir

• Bench Racer likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

Back in the "compliance team" days, part of our money was used to purchase tools (including a whistler) for every division. I have had cars whistled at Blackhawk, Road America, Sebring, Atlanta and NOLA in the last couple years.

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

SCCA's going on 70 years. Do they wind up in somebodies toolbox taken home?

Just asking.

J~

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Back in the "compliance team" days, part of our money was used to purchase tools (including a whistler) for every division. I have had cars whistled at Blackhawk, Road America, Sebring, Atlanta and NOLA in the last couple years.

Dave

And if one were to show above the compression ratio, what's the next step???

Johnny, I stated region, Dave stated division. While your adding to the thread do you have any valuable input to improving the bore measuring tool through the plug hole.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Bench, no, but that never stopped me from posting.

IMO, Bench, you're focusing on a tool to measure, (god bless) but maybe not looking at the whole picture or there's more than one way to skin a cat.

J~

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Bench, no, but that never stopped me from posting.

IMO, Bench, you're focusing on a tool to measure, (god bless) but maybe not looking at the whole picture or there's more than one way to skin a cat.

J~

My profile title kind of says the same thing as Different Ways to Skin a Cat, Different Strokes for Different Folks. If your engine ever blows a higher ratio than allowed, what's you next move???

On my engine, anything other than head off to measure is a go, no-go gauge. No-go and the head comes off.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Yes you can use the whistler as a go/no-go....if somebody were to overbore a motor and you whistled it at what it is supposed to be the reading would be way low...

Have you read this??

J~

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

If your engine ever blows a higher ratio than allowed, what's you next move???

If you read this ^, you never answered.

Nuff of your :bs: for me.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users