Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

So this stuff (link below) is actually a "coating" which is not legal and it can be used on both the inside and outside of an intake manifold (inside not legal).  So possibly for the person that wants to make a more exhaustive :burst: search there is a similar product which can be purchased as "paint" which would then be legal and provide similar benefits?   Can of worms as Dave Wheeler said IMO.  The other question is why even change the rule and only for the intake manifold?  If paint is OK, then why not the exhaust and entire engine?  

http://www.techlinec...old_Article.htm

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Spec Miata

1. #13600 (Jim Wheeler) Allow engine paint

In section 9.1.7.C.k.1, add the language as follows:

"The intake manifold must be stock Mazda parts, without any material added or removed. No coating is permitted on the exterior or interior of the manifold except that the manifold exterior may be painted..."

Jim Wheeler, please inform the Spec Miata community the reasoning/logic behind this change.

Tom Sager, I have viewed an F production car with something silver/clearish coating on the intake manifold. Totally illegal per the production car intake rules.

Reading Tom's article, 130 hp x 2% decrease in heat = 2.6 hp gain. That's only reducing the temperature by 20*. Rules sliding downward is not a good thing.  :no: 

• Armando Ramirez likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

Attached File  worms.jpg   2.6KB   0 downloads

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Painting the intake manifold does not "fix" anything at all.  There is no reason this rule should be allowed.  It is not like Mazda ever had a painted one, so it makes zero sense to permit them.

The only possible thing it solves is make legal the people that have painted them.  Well too bad for them.  Painting the intake is clearly not allowed in the present rules and they should have read them.  They can just go out and buy a bare metal one.  We don't need to change the rules because a few people can't read or don't take the time.

• Bench Racer, Armando Ramirez, mellen and 2 others like this

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

mhiggins10

mhiggins10

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Region:SOWDIV

A waving white flag at Start/Finish will indicate you have begun the last lap. A STANDING white flag anywhere (including Start/Finish) indicates a slow moving vehicle is in front of you. A yellow flag has different meanings depending on whether it's stationary or waved - this is no different and you guys seem to be able to figure that out.

Different regions (of different starters even at the same event) use different techniques to indicate the last lap has started - some a raised finger, some a downward pointed finger, some a sign, and others give no signal at all. All we're wanting to do is make it consistent across the club (and my three-year old granddaughter knows what a waving white flag at S/F means).

And every flag set already has a white flag, so there's no additional equipment needed...

I'd humbly suggest we just codify it as a finger indicating one to go.  Looking at the GCR, you could also run into the situation where, if something occurs on the last laps, the start/finish flag could indicate BOTH things (if they are the first or second flag stand before the vehicle).  Obviously, people will likely know, but why take a chance when it's a safety issue?

I'll write my director as well, but that's just my $.02.

Thanks for the direct input Butch!  It's really cool to see you involved in the discussions here. :)

• RussMcB likes this

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:SEDiv
  • Car Number:57

I wonder what the arguments were for being against a finger or sign?  Both of those options seem better than a white flag.

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA
Former SM racer (now back in a formula car)

Barber 2013 Topless

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

TEAM MEDICARE

TEAM MEDICARE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Region:Glen
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:66

SCENARIO:

Short track.  A couple of fast drivers and the rest of the field not very good (like me).  Entire field lapped by the fast guys (gals).  Leaders come past flag stand to start last lap well below race time limit  and  get white flag as does the rest of the field , all a lap down.   Leaders proceed to take each other out.  Now have a new leader who comes to the finish line a lap short of the race distance.  Checkered flag?  Race over a lap short of scheduled race distance?  Is the white (last lap ) flag official?

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

Kinda related story:

Many years ago I was in a 50 lap race. MC uses a lap board on the bridge. I came by once and it said 7 laps to go. Came by the next time and it said 10 laps to go. I know I was not going fast enough to make time go backwards. I later found that the 2 overall leading cars, GT1, both broke on the same lap and pulled into the paddock. The 3rd place overall car ,GT3, was 3 laps down. Thus the change in laps remaining.

I am in favor of an un-official courtesy signal of the start of what should be your last lap. Once it is made official, the next time around the checker had better fly or there is a big possibility of problems.

Dave

Dave Wheeler

608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bad Rusty

Bad Rusty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Region:Arizona

Have we voted on a "spec" heat barrier (Sorry, paint) for the intake manifold yet?  I just don't want to order the wrong one today. 

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

The Bulletin said at the top..

All changes are effective 4/1/2014 unless otherwise noted.

Think you're suppose to write your director with any concerns or clarifications.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

Biggest question, Will Danny's intake be blue or orange? Maybe we should start a pole???? :devil:  :devil:  :devil:

Dave

• pat slattery and Derrick Ambrose like this

Dave Wheeler

608-313-1230

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Bad Rusty, Bad. :)

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

The Bulletin said at the top..

Think you're suppose to write your director with any concerns or clarifications.

J~

DATE: March 20, 2014

NUMBER: TB 14-04

TO: Competitors, Stewards, and Scrutineers

SUBJECT: Errors and Omissions, Competition Adjustments, Clarifications, and Classifications

NOTE: This preliminary version of the Club Racing Technical Bulletin is provided at this time as a service to the membership. These items may be corrected and will not be official until published on the Fastrack page of the scca.com website on or about March 20.

Yes indeed it must be one of the following. Errors and Omissions, Clarifications,

I do note how the CRB folks that post aren't touching this with a ten foot pole. 

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

TEAM MEDICARE

TEAM MEDICARE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Region:Glen
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:66

I would like to send my views on this subject to the SCCA but have never done this before.  Can anyone tell me where to direct my letter?

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

I would like to send my views on this subject to the SCCA but have never done this before.  Can anyone tell me where to direct my letter?

crbscca.com and it will be delivered to all the CRB (competition racing board) members. You might include information and by rule number that painting/insulating is not allowed in Show Room Stock, Improved touring (inside the intake manifold) or production cars (modification allowed are listed, The intake manifold can not otherwise be modified.)  Show Room Stock fits as less modifications than Spec Miata and Improved touring and Production cars are allowed more modifications than Spec Miata.

You all notice how quite the chatter is about this rule.

All this nonsense rule does is raise the cost of racing.

More folks should send a letter requesting this intended rule be rescinded.  Yes, I understand 4/1/14 is here in a hurry. Sending a letter to the CRB happens instantly. 

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

CRB letter 13722

Please rescind the decision to allow the Spec Miata intake manifold exterior to be painted per the 3/11/14 Preliminary Tech Bulletin.

Spec Miata
#13600 (Jim Wheeler) Allow engine paint
In section 9.1.7.C.k.1, add the language as follows:
"The intake manifold must be stock Mazda parts, without any material added or removed. No coating is permitted on the exterior or interior of the manifold
except that the manifold exterior may be painted."

Several reasonable/l
ogical points are included below for not allowing the intake manifold to be painted.

Point 1.
Spec Miata, Purpose and Intent:
Opportunity to compete in low cost, production-based cars with limited modifications, suitable for racing competition.
Point 2.
The rule met the class purpose and intent as is currently written.
"The intake manifold must be stock Mazda parts, without any material added or removed. No coating is permitted on the exterior or interior of the manifold."
Point 3.
Painting the intake manifold is not low cost and opens the door for un-intended consequences.
Point 4.
Painting the intake manifold is not required for suitable racing competition.
Point 5.
Classes that do not allow painting/coating of the intake manifold are Showroom Stock, Improved Touring and Production level 2 (two).

• RussMcB likes this

mhiggins10

mhiggins10

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Region:SOWDIV

Tracking Number: #13784

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

#13872 for me.

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:12

13889 was mine.  I sent in one before they voted too.  No me gusta.

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

This is not going to be rescinded. The only question left for me is how long before NASA adopts?

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users