FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

can you blame this failure on installing long studs the cracks to no go to the studs?

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
How many balls in each bearing for the various hubs that have been failing? My memory is the the original NA hubs were 12 balls, and then changed to 11. Back then it was widely believed that the 12s lasted a lot longer, which makes sense. I ask again because there are some aftermarket hubs that look good, heat treated, no machined flats on the back, etc. and have 12 balls. Interestingly, the ball diameter is identical to those from an 11 ball version, but I haven't determined if the difference is just spacing in the cage. Unfortunately, re-packing with better grease is proving difficult at best because the balls are not fully captured so the cage falls and reassembly becomes near impossible.

Has anyone else found hubs with more than 11 balls?
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

How many balls in each bearing for the various hubs that have been failing? My memory is the the original NA hubs were 12 balls, and then changed to 11. Back then it was widely believed that the 12s lasted a lot longer, which makes sense. I ask again because there are some aftermarket hubs that look good, heat treated, no machined flats on the back, etc. and have 12 balls. Interestingly, the ball diameter is identical to those from an 11 ball version, but I haven't determined if the difference is just spacing in the cage. Unfortunately, re-packing with better grease is proving difficult at best because the balls are not fully captured so the cage falls and reassembly becomes near impossible.

Has anyone else found hubs with more than 11 balls?

Heh heh.  Steve said 'balls' like 5 times.  he heh heh.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

Boobs.  References to boobs is better than references to balls. 

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Number:60

Some more anecdotal evidence.  I found a junker Miata (1.6) with 190K miles on it that some friends and I turned into an enduro car for NASA E3.  EVERY expense was spared on the car (think Chumpcar). It still has the original hubs that came with the car.  It has done at least three 6 hour enduros, another 3 hour, numerous sprint races, at least two rain races that I can remember.  It has been driven (way) off track with the salty/fine Utah dust a couple of times.  Two years on and the front hubs are fine (Knock on wood).  Hubs have never been touched/repacked etc.  The same tires I use on my SM car (Hoosier SM7/Toyo RR/BFG R1) have been run on this car.

Again, I don't think the issue is the tires or anything other than suspect manufacturing of recent hubs.  If this isn't some weird anomaly, I'm going to start getting my hubs from junk yards.

• MarekM likes this

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

RazerX

RazerX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Region:N. Cal
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:11

I am curious to Steve's point how many "boobs" are in each hub?  And if 12 boobs is better an 11 boobs, which must be as some had an issue.   anyway.  Do the current OEM hubs from Mazda have 12 boobs or 11?  I am guessing the same hub is  used for the heavy duty hub but better, rounder, firmer boobs.

I am also guessing that older hubs also had 12 boobs as well.  I guess i should open one up and feel them.

• Tom Hampton likes this

- Speed

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

He said boobs six times !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Alberto likes this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

luvin_the_rings

luvin_the_rings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

i was worried that I would be racing against a bunch of seasoned adult veterans,  however I'm glad to see that, like me, my peer competitors are also 5 years old.  :moon:

• Alberto likes this

Bad Rusty

Bad Rusty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Region:Arizona

He said boobs six times !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Dave,

I felt a little (Hub going bad) feel a few weeks ago.  Took off the cover and got the nut to tighten about 1/8ish of a turn and seemed to go away.  Is this something that might be a permanent fix or more likely just dealying the innevitable, and the hub is going to go?  Thanks! and for the record,  I think my bearings have only 6 boobs, they are just much larger then the ones with 12 boobs.

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

i was worried that I would be racing against a bunch of seasoned adult veterans, however I'm glad to see that, like me, my peer competitors are also 5 years old. :moon:

I resent that! Mentally, I'm 13. Hehe fire, hehe! Boobs! Girls! Hehe!

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Again, I don't think the issue is the tires or anything other than suspect manufacturing of recent hubs.  If this isn't some weird anomaly, I'm going to start getting my hubs from junk yards.

You may very well be right, but forgive me for jumping off into "Uncle Mark's Story Time" ...

I see this all the time in the auto industry.  The product has a "design margin". "They"  want it to last 100K even on a bad day when everything goes wrong, so they test the part to 150K and sign off on THAT part.  THAT part (or those 10, 20, or 100) was the "best effort" part from the eager-beaver supplier wanting the business, and it came off of fresh tooling and probably was built while some sternfaced engineers hovered over the assembly line like present-day parents monitoring a bouncy castle. 

The problem with OUR front wheel bearing is it is 10 years past being used in any new car, and thus has been shipped off to "Aftermarket Hell", whereby they make the product to a cost-reduced recipe with minimal testing.  One engineer (or one B.A. in Purchasing freshout) might be in charge of 1000s of aftermarket parts.  Unless "SchmautoSchmzone's" warranty skyrockets and jeopardizes the account, nobody will ever look at the "suspect manufacturing".  Your typical Miata.Net guy buying this part is putting 2000 miles a year on his car going to the ice cream shop on his 185/70-14 Mastercrafts - or if he is a super badass, he has huge tires and is swerving around cones in second gear for 5 minutes or so a month.  Even all of SM-dom undertorquing and botching re-packs and crashing into our best friends in Turn 1 fighting for 8th place will not make a dent in the Aftermarket Bearing Warranty Freshout's spreadsheet.

So - you are likely correct that the bearing quality is a factor, and it may even be the case that 1990 hubs will solve all our ills.  My concern there is that WE cannot live forever off of 1990 hubs.  WE can't control the automotive aftermarket.  But "WE" can move toward shorter, narrower, less grippy tires, and lower "legal" offsets.

Disclaimer:  I don't sell hubs, I no longer campaign an SM.  But I'm here to help :)

Rant:  I wish Silicon Valley would assure product quality for 10 years ... why are all of my 3 year old computers, tablets, and phones now "unsupported"?  These people are going to make driverless cars? 

• Alberto and Danny Steyn like this

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

RazerX

RazerX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Region:N. Cal
  • Car Number:11

You may very well be right, but forgive me for jumping off into "Uncle Mark's Story Time" ...

I see this all the time in the auto industry.  The product has a "design margin". "They"  want it to last 100K even on a bad day when everything goes wrong, so they test the part to 150K and sign off on THAT part.  THAT part (or those 10, 20, or 100) was the "best effort" part from the eager-beaver supplier wanting the business, and it came off of fresh tooling and probably was built while some sternfaced engineers hovered over the assembly line like present-day parents monitoring a bouncy castle. 

The problem with OUR front wheel bearing is it is 10 years past being used in any new car, and thus has been shipped off to "Aftermarket Hell", whereby they make the product to a cost-reduced recipe with minimal testing.  One engineer (or one B.A. in Purchasing freshout) might be in charge of 1000s of aftermarket parts.  Unless "SchmautoSchmzone's" warranty skyrockets and jeopardizes the account, nobody will ever look at the "suspect manufacturing".  Your typical Miata.Net guy buying this part is putting 2000 miles a year on his car going to the ice cream shop on his 185/70-14 Mastercrafts - or if he is a super badass, he has huge tires and is swerving around cones in second gear for 5 minutes or so a month.  Even all of SM-dom undertorquing and botching re-packs and crashing into our best friends in Turn 1 fighting for 8th place will not make a dent in the Aftermarket Bearing Warranty Freshout's spreadsheet.

So - you are likely correct that the bearing quality is a factor, and it may even be the case that 1990 hubs will solve all our ills.  My concern there is that WE cannot live forever off of 1990 hubs.  WE can't control the automotive aftermarket.  But "WE" can move toward shorter, narrower, less grippy tires, and lower "legal" offsets.

Disclaimer:  I don't sell hubs, I no longer campaign an SM.  But I'm here to help :)

Rant:  I wish Silicon Valley would assure product quality for 10 years ... why are all of my 3 year old computers, tablets, and phones now "unsupported"?  These people are going to make driverless cars? 

Ha, it's not if the car can drive safely as much as can you guarantee it can't be hacked while you are in it.  Think about millions at stake in a financial institutions and they can't prevent intrusion...   

- Speed

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

As usual, Saul has solved all our problems.

1' we should race driverless cars into turn 1 on the way to the ice cream shop

2' no race should be longer than 5 minutes per month

3' we all need to get ahold of the boobs we where holding in 1990

dave

• Alberto likes this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Number:92

dave

over the top!   edited!

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

dave

Well, it wasn't 1990 but a GTL driver had Booble for a sponsor during the Topeka Runoffs years. He handed out Boobs at the Runoffs. Me being the "different strokes for different folks" guy clamped one in the rolling tool box vise for continuous advertisement. Some time along the way a request was made to him to cover the nipples, he did with a couple band aides. 

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

dave

Strictly speaking I do have ahold of the boobs I was holding in 1990.  Ok well...not RIGHT now, I'm at work. 

-tch

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

edited and agree! Jim

I guess we don't care if this site has any women visitor?

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

Since you're the only one b*tchin'....

-tch

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

I'm with you on a little over the top post...

But to keep up with the children...more boobs are always welcome! It will give a few of our posters some company :)

Before computers many of us lived in front of the Boobtube!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Number:26

I just disassembled a Timken boxed/NTN front hub.  It had some play in it after a day and a half crashing curbs at VIR.  What I found was a new design.  The plastic cages were made of a very rigid plastic (phenolic like slightly translucent).  Both plastic cages had rings around the inner diameter that snaps into the inner hub sleeves.  I'm fairly sure I they were not broken until I tried to take them apart.  I didn't find any metal shavings or noticeable erosion of the races.  I don't know why it had play in it.  I thought it was interesting that the design and materials were changed.  I had a hard time getting the photo small enough to upload.  The top is the NTN part, the bottom is an older part from Mazda.

Attached File  IMG_1991.JPG   50.4KB   22 downloads

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users