• Please log in to reply
274 replies to this topic

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Look very closely at the grease from the new one and I'll wager you will find tiny tips of that plastic that broke off the cage, making reassembly very difficult and potentially useless.

Oh, and count the boobs, you have an extra.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
How much play? The same both sides? Are you sure it wasn't just in need of a retorque after first use?

Mark, the torque specs are fairly broad (especially in back as I recall?). Do you recommend going with the top of the range? What about a retorque after first use? Pointless if done correctly the first time?
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I just disassembled a Timken boxed/NTN front hub.  It had some play in it after a day and a half crashing curbs at VIR.  What I found was a new design.  The plastic cages were made of a very rigid plastic (phenolic like slightly translucent).  Both plastic cages had rings around the inner diameter that snaps into the inner hub sleeves.  I'm fairly sure I they were not broken until I tried to take them apart.  I didn't find any metal shavings or noticeable erosion of the races.  I don't know why it had play in it.  I thought it was interesting that the design and materials were changed.  I had a hard time getting the photo small enough to upload.  The top is the NTN part, the bottom is an older part from Mazda.

attachicon.gifIMG_1991.JPG

interesting, i have not seen this design but i have tried to avoid buying the new hubs, IMO they are clearly poor quality at least as far as the hubs labeled NTN. 

There are some other hubs out there, Wheeler i think uses a different brand. This may be a subject that at some point needs to be addressed with MazdaSpeed for some assistance. between the failures do to bearing failure and the failures with metal fatigue, it can become a safety issue.

Kieth thanks for getting us on point again.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:26

Steve - You are probably right there may have been broken cage bits in the grease.  After I took them apart the cages were damaged enough for me to consider them unusable.  They had some slightly play before this weekend so I torqued them and the play went away.  They had one prior weekend of use at Roebling Road.  That track has very little curbing but has long sweeping higher speed turns.  This hub was on the left side.  The right still has no play, both hubs were installed at the same time.  The right side has survived two weekends FWIW.

I just ordered some Mazdaspeed HD hubs. 

Has anyone re-greased the new Mazdaspeed hubs?  Do the have the flexible black plastic ball bearing cage.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Diller

Diller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Region:South East
  • Car Number:13

Just to add to the confusion. I have bought two Timken front hubs from Rock Auto at the same time and one had the hard black plastic cage and the other had the more flexible tan colored cage. They also had two different number of ball bearings in them. The hard black plastic broke as soon as I tried to pull it out as well.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

RazerX

RazerX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Region:N. Cal
  • Car Number:11

So it sounds like, and i believe was mentioned that either Timken changed their design or are now just reselling some other manufacturer.  

Keith, when you get the new HD hub, let us know what you find inside.  And how many boobs!

- Speed

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Keith, we just had a very similar experience to yours. After discovering that attempts to replace the stock lube in new 12-boob hubs was damaging the cage I decide to just bolt fresh ones on both cars for a weekend and see what happens.

At Gateway there is just one right turn other than a quick L-R switchback, yet within a few sessions there was significant play on the left hub of both cars, though both still felt smooth. The rights, which should get a lot more abuse, were tight and smooth. I retorqued one, which may have slightly reduced but did not eliminate the play, and replaced the other. I drove the car with the suspect hub Sunday and it had not changed noticeably after a short practice and qualifying, but by mid-race it was clearly starting to fail so I eased up a bit in that turn and limped it to the end. I'll do a post-mortem later this week but it may just be that QC is very poor so some fail quickly while others last a lot longer.

If it were possible to disassemble these without damaging the cage I would try to source better quality balls, but at the moment I'm not hopeful that these new 12-boob hubs are any good. Too bad because they also have the dual heat-treat rings on the housing corresponding to the races.

RazerX

RazerX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Region:N. Cal
  • Car Number:11

Perhaps returns and getting refunds will affect this more than anything else.  Most companies migrate to making as cheap as possible.  "As possible" is until QC problems affect the bottomline.

So we should start demanding refunds for those hubs that fail that quick.

- Speed

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

So we should start demanding refunds for those hubs that fail that quick.

Name a race car part that has a warranty. Bet ya can't

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

FWIW the blueprinted hubs from Mazda are NTN hubs.  They definitely turn very easy.  I'll be at the track this weekend with this new hub installed on the left side.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,567 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Name a race car part that has a warranty. Bet ya can't

http://mazdaracers.c...n-swaps-199905/

http://mazdaracers.c...-transmissions/

Just sayin :)

• Alberto and Bad Rusty like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

Not exactly on point of the thread, but while at Blackhawk a few weeks ago, i had 3 long studs fail on me on the left front hub. I believe the long studs were purchased from Saferacer and it looked to me as if the press fit portion that fits in the hub was not as long as the stock studs and it would fail right at that Junction.

Bench was there saw it and took one, just passing it along, I have had 4 studs fail. So I have replaced all the studs with the stock short studs.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Not exactly on point of the thread, but while at Blackhawk a few weeks ago, i had 3 long studs fail on me on the left front hub. I believe the long studs were purchased from Saferacer and it looked to me as if the press fit portion that fits in the hub was not as long as the stock studs and it would fail right at that Junction.

Bench was there saw it and took one, just passing italong, I have had 4 studs fail. So I have replaced all the studs with the stock sort studs.

Had the exact same thing happen last weekend as well! Same supplier...same location break :(

And the stud literally fell off in impound as we drove in from Qual??  I to have the stud and nut still on it. 4th weekend on the car and always used 75lbs of torque which I dont think is excessive. None of the other studs on the same hub were lose.

Ron

RAmotorsports

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

Where these the black "KJZ" studs???

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

YES,,,

Ron

RAmotorsports

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

The straight knurl on the 12mm ARP studs is the same length as the stock studs.  I have not had any issue with them.  (ARP part number 100-7708)  They don't have a bullet nose but they work fine.

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

YES,,,

I was concerned at first, but I only sell the ARP studs. I will stop worrying

dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Just sent a letter to Saferacer...sucks but i will be throwing away 32 long studs new and used :(

I realize now I had a rear upright fail(new studs)its first session on track...causing the lose of a wheel and damage to the car. Unfortunetaley this was my spare i sold to someone else. At the time we all scratched our heads and thought it was wheel studs not tight or rotors that werent relief cut. Now I wonder if in fact we didnt have a stud failure :(

Ron

RAmotorsports

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

yes

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

I have a bunch of long studs if you want them Ron.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users