ScratchRob13

ScratchRob13

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:13

Hey guys, I inititially bought this car do really be a completely reliable track junkie car, and only really do HPDE events.  So when I had DWW Motorsports build my 2001 Miata, I did a 90% spec build... the rest I left alone... not thinking I would be racing anytime soon...

Well I'm signing up for a SCCA driving school, and am about to take the plunge into racing... so I have a few questions about my current car to get it into SM... But first what I did have done to the car:

-SM Suspension Kit

-SM Cage Built by DWW

-SM Legal electric kill, seats, etc

-Kosei K1 w/ 205/50R15 RA1

-Stock Sport Brakes, w/Hawk Blue

-Spec exhaust built

-Power Steering Depressurized/Deleted

-Steering Wheel

-tow hooks added

I'm sure there are a couple little things missing... but I have some questions:

1)  It's a 2001 Sport model, so which chassis braces must I remove?  The strut tower bar I read in the GCR... but I've been told there is one under the car?

2)  The restrictor plate...GCR says SCCA Enterprises.. guess that isn't a question :tipsy:

3)  Any tips on brakes?  I guess I need to buy some non-sport and swap over... cut and dry I guess.

4) Anything else I'm missing? 

Thanks guys... look forward to meeting many of you at the track! 

Picture of the car... wheels/tires have changed.

1546262_733728879497_1034370320_n.jpg

'01 Miata SM #13

SCCA NER

ScratchRob13

ScratchRob13

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Also, does anyone have a suggestion on an Alignment shop between Hartford, CT and Springfield, MA area?  Or nearby?

'01 Miata SM #13

SCCA NER

Michael Colangelo

Michael Colangelo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Region:Southern California
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:23
Matt Kessler in Berlin, CT (just south of Hartford) seems to do a lot of work on SMs. You might want to give him a call. Here's a link to his website: http://kesslerengineering.com

Where are you located? I'm actually in Berlin, CT right now visiting family.

Parity

Parity

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Region:North East
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:51

+1 on Kessler.

A few things often overlooked when coverting a DE car to SM - fuel regulator, proper fuel injection clamps on fuel lines, fire suppression, proper decals, padding on cage areas close to driver.

May want to check condition of control arms, alignment bolts, prior to going for setup.

Also, all belts, seat, net, compliance and the date is still good. Driver's suit, nomex underwear, sox, balaclava, etc

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ScratchRob13

ScratchRob13

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Matt Kessler in Berlin, CT (just south of Hartford) seems to do a lot of work on SMs. You might want to give him a call. Here's a link to his website: http://kesslerengineering.com
Where are you located? I'm actually in Berlin, CT right now visiting family.

I'm in Suffield... I contacted Matt but he said he is too busy through MAY.

+1 on Kessler.

A few things often overlooked when coverting a DE car to SM - fuel regulator, proper fuel injection clamps on fuel lines, fire suppression, proper decals, padding on cage areas close to driver.

May want to check condition of control arms, alignment bolts, prior to going for setup.

Also, all belts, seat, net, compliance and the date is still good. Driver's suit, nomex underwear, sox, balaclava, etc

Fuel regulator and injection clamps cannot be OEM?

I am going to grab a 2.5# extinguisher this week... And I have all new belts this year and ordered nets last week. I have the driver gear from a lemons race I did last year... But thanks for the list because I don't think I have a balaclava.

Does the padding need to be sfi rated? I have some 1" foam padding on the cage now... But it isn't sfi as far as I know.

Thanks!

'01 Miata SM #13

SCCA NER

marcusmazza

marcusmazza

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

The regulator can be OEM, but there is a lot of power to be gained by going to an adjustable regulator. Usually anything that your head is going to come into contact with should/needs to be SFI rated.

Anyway, welcome to SM. Hope to see you at some races.

Marc

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Well I'm signing up for a SCCA driving school, and am about to take the plunge into racing... so I have a few questions about my current car to get it into SM...

Welcome to the Spec Miata world, Have Fun. Sooner or later being that your going to do a SCCA school you might as well become fimilar with the SCCA GCR (General Competition Rules) because there will in all likelyhood be a written test. There is a section on Spec Miata rules which will back you up to other items. In the front 1/3 of the GCR are many items you will need to know how to find. Check with someone in your region or local SCCA racer about the requirements for school.   

GCR

http://scca.cdn.race...ril-mobile1.pdf

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Parity

Parity

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Region:North East
  • Car Number:51

Fuel regulator and injection clamps cannot be OEM?

It's fairly common to see clamps that have been replaced with standard hose clamps like this:

http://www.delcity.n...CFRQS7AodAiUAKA

But these are correct ones:

http://www.delcity.n...CFZRr7AodWBMA9Q

Padding must be SFI rated if it can contact helmet.

ScratchRob13

ScratchRob13

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts

The regulator can be OEM, but there is a lot of power to be gained by going to an adjustable regulator. Usually anything that your head is going to come into contact with should/needs to be SFI rated.

Anyway, welcome to SM. Hope to see you at some races.

Marc

I'll have to look into it, thanks.

Welcome to the Spec Miata world, Have Fun. Sooner or later being that your going to do a SCCA school you might as well become fimilar with the SCCA GCR (General Competition Rules) because there will in all likelyhood be a written test. There is a section on Spec Miata rules which will back you up to other items. In the front 1/3 of the GCR are many items you will need to know how to find. Check with someone in your region or local SCCA racer about the requirements for school.   

GCR

http://scca.cdn.race...ril-mobile1.pdf

I'll be doing my homework prior to the School... I've read there is usually a test of some sorts.

It's fairly common to see clamps that have been replaced with standard hose clamps like this:

http://www.delcity.n...CFRQS7AodAiUAKA

But these are correct ones:

http://www.delcity.n...CFZRr7AodWBMA9Q

Padding must be SFI rated if it can contact helmet.

Ok, I'll check the clamps, and order up some SFI foam.  Thanks!

'01 Miata SM #13

SCCA NER

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

I'm pretty sure the way the GCR reads is that padding must be equivalent to SFI rated padding.  Check out Advanced Autosports or Saferacer...they sell the padding that is equivalent, but cheaper.

Edit...

"All portions of the roll cage subject to contact by the driver 

must be padded with a minimum 1 inch of material. Padding 
that meets or exceeds SFI 45.1 or FIA 8857-2001 (curved 
padding), or SFI 45.2 or FIA sports car head rest material (flat 
padding) specification is recommended."

There you go...recommended.

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

MUST be padded with a minimum 1 inch of material. Padding 
padding),    OR     SFI 45.2 or FIA sports car head rest material (flat 

Be careful how you read that ^ rule specification.  :scratchchin:  The " SFI 45.2 or FIA sports car head rest material (flat 

padding) specification is recommended." If your using the curved material it SHALL be padding "that meets or exceeds SFI 45.1 or FIA 8857-2001." 

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Number:35

drill out the steering wheel lock in the ignition. see archives 

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR

FYI - you don't need all the "power" adders (like the adjustable fuel regulator) to do the licensing school.  You don't need it to race either so you can plan that mod when the time is right.  The adjustable fuel pressure regulator really should be combined with some dyno time and air-fuel ratio (AFR) tuning in order to be safe and yield any power.  Not tuning AFRs can cause the car to run lean and damage the engine or overly rich.  At the very least, you need to set the fuel pressure to stock if you do install it w/o dyno so that you maintain the existing AFRs.  The locals can probably direct you to a good place to do that sort of thing.

What matters most is that the car is safe - as in up to safety specs and regulations as defined in the GCR - and reliable.  When I did licensing school, I was still running the stock exhaust including cat, didn't have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator etc.  Come to think of it, I ran the stock exhaust and cat for the first 6 races of my rookie season.

PS - Here is my old thread on the steering wheel lock removal: http://forum.specmia...=1;t=004462;p=0

2 sticks of the SFI padding will be more than enough to pad the areas you need to - and want to. 

Place it "anywhere where you head can make contact" - so behind/above your head on the roll bar and downward sloping cross bar, front cross bar over the windshield, side downtube bar near the left side of your head and also:

- your knee and ankle on the down tube

- your hand on the downtube near the steering wheel

I also placed some on the top of the pax side downtube since I kept bumping my head on that when I popped my head in to do something.

• RussMcB likes this

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Edit...

Folks, the rule changed a couple years or so ago. The rule no longer specifies head, the rule specifies the driver. That friends makes a world of difference. Totally agree with Alberto, all the razel dazzel is not required for school. Your not trying to win races at school.

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

Be careful how you read that ^ rule specification.  :scratchchin:  The " SFI 45.2 or FIA sports car head rest material (flat 

padding) specification is recommended." If your using the curved material it SHALL be padding "that meets or exceeds SFI 45.1 or FIA 8857-2001." 

This has been debated elsewhere, but I still don't agree with your interpretation of the grammar used in that rule.  It states that 1" padding must be used, and recommends that it meets or exceeds SFI/FIA standards.  I believe Longacre makes the padding that is similar, but doesn't have the stamp.  Besides it clearly says that it can meet or exceed the standard...doesn't say the stamp needs to be there.

Just sayin...

• exninja likes this
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

Flatout Motorsports is in MA (uncertain as to the exact location; never been there personally).

It would be a 4 hour tow there/back to get to Planet Miata in Swoyersboro, PA (near Wilkes-Barre) - Marc Cefalo's a good chap if you're up for it.

As others have noted, get the car safe to pass the tech inspection and you can address the other parts at a later time.  This does mean SFI-rated roll bar padding, extinguisher, seat-back brace if you're using and AL seat (cant' tell from the pic), & deleting the steering wheel lock.  Get those things taken care of and you'll have fun & pass the school.

Regarding the legality of some of your "car bits" - since it's a school (presuming the NHMS one) combined with your no potential desire to race that weekend, don't worry about them.

You mention the brakes, a chassis brace, and the restrictor: I'd say the most important to get right before the school would be the restrictor but thankfully it's the easiest to buy & install.

Either of the shops I named would probably have one to sell if you make it to them and/or order one directly from Advanced Autosport (Dave Wheeler - hit the Google).

Best of luck, and welcome to the crazy sport!  Hope to see you around elsewhere in the NE!

Brandon

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Flatout Motorsports is in MA (uncertain as to the exact location; never been there personally).

Their ad pops up from time to time up time ^^

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

I'm pretty sure the way the GCR reads is that padding must be equivalent to SFI rated padding.  Check out Advanced Autosports or Saferacer...they sell the padding that is equivalent, but cheaper.

Edit...

You may pick all the nitts you want. Your, "there you go...recomended", is meaningless. If you care to read "Interperting and Applying the GCR" you will find the word "must" is mandatory. What is mandatory is that the padding must/shall  meet or exceed what is specified. The secondary flat material is an alternate recomendation. LongAcre does not specify SFI padding and our friend Dave Wheeler specifies SFI padding manufactured by LongAcre. Maybe Dave will clarify the padding he sells. My padding is stamped SFI 45.1. If your padding is not stamped SFI 45.1 how you going to prove to a tech that the padding is FIA 45.1??? It would be a beach to fail tech and sent home because the roll bar padding couldn't be varified SFI 45.1. 

Or you tell what you ment with your, "There you go...recomended".

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR

It would be a 4 hour tow there/back to get to Planet Miata in Swoyersboro, PA (near Wilkes-Barre) - Marc Cefalo's a good chap if you're up for it.

Brandon

Wow.  Is there not a decent race prep place in CT or NY that can do a cornerbalance and alignment on a Miata?  

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

Wow.  Is there not a decent race prep place in CT or NY that can do a cornerbalance and alignment on a Miata?  

As much as we like to think the world revolves around Spec Miata, we a re a very small portion of the racing world. there is maybe a dozen or two, full time shops scattered around the country. Being within a 4 hour drive is relatively close.

Roll bar padding; As quoted above must cover anything the driver may come into contact with. that means head, arms, legs etc. It is recomended to use the SFI rated stuff, but that is not required. My personal recomendation is to use SFI padding around the head area and standard soft foam roll bar padding for the arms and legs area. Anticipate 2 soft and one SFI to do the car properly

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users