Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

Wow.  Is there not a decent race prep place in CT or NY that can do a cornerbalance and alignment on a Miata?  

One thing I had to 'relearn' after moving from TX to the northeast is when you can say with a straight face "Drive 3 hours NE, and once in MA..." you're not in TX anymore.

Down there, it's drive for 3 hours in (nearly) ANY direction and you've not even left the state!

And Kessler would be available if he had the cycles free but he truly is a 'one man shop' and I'm surprised he's only booked up through May at this point.

There are other shops in the NE however not all specialize in Miata's, let alone SM (and the intricacies associated with them), and some even specialize in backwards racecars**!

:hugegrin:

I'd bet if there was a decent BMW shop that does work on E30s they could get close for us, and in this student's case it may be his best option before the school.

But unfortunately I'm not knowledgeable of any BMW race shops near him.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

One thing I had to 'relearn' after moving from TX to the northeast is when you can say with a straight face "Drive 3 hours NE, and once in MA..." you're not in TX anymore.

Down there, it's drive for 3 hours in (nearly) ANY direction and you've not even left the state!

And Kessler would be available if he had the cycles free but he truly is a 'one man shop' and I'm surprised he's only booked up through May at this point.

There are other shops in the NE however not all specialize in Miata's, let alone SM (and the intricacies associated with them), and some even specialize in backwards racecars**!

:hugegrin:

I'd bet if there was a decent BMW shop that does work on E30s they could get close for us, and in this student's case it may be his best option before the school.

But unfortunately I'm not knowledgeable of any BMW race shops near him.

Yeah, I grew up in NY so am pretty familiar with the minimal time investment being 3-4 hours.  4 hours to Lime Rock. ~8 to the Glen etc... :(  Northern CA is awesome in that respect. :)

I imagine there has to be a race shop to some basic services closer.  Maybe a BMW or Porsche shop.  I used to know some places on long Island.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

"All portions of the roll cage subject to contact by the driver 

must be padded with a minimum 1 inch of material. Padding 
that meets or exceeds SFI 45.1 or FIA 8857-2001 (curved 
padding), or SFI 45.2 or FIA sports car head rest material (flat 
padding) specification is recommended."

There you go...recommended.

Roll bar padding; As quoted above must cover anything the driver may come into contact with. that means head, arms, legs etc. It is recomended to use the SFI rated stuff, but that is not required. My personal recomendation is to use SFI padding around the head area and standard soft foam roll bar padding for the arms and legs area. Anticipate 2 soft and one SFI to do the car properly

Dave

Usually not good to get in a match with Dave. IMHU of the rule, when the word must (by GCR definiation must is mandatory just like the word shall ) is used, the padding must/shall meet or exceed the SFI 45.1 specification. I totally understand what Dave is saying. I also use soft padding on the side protection bars where legs will hit and I AM ILLEGAL WITH THE SOFT PADDING. Next week at the Majors race at Blackhawk Farm, I'll show the rule to ac specific tech I generally respect and ask for his thoughts of soft padding versus the rule. :bigsquaregrin:

I sure will not ask this weekend when I'm fetting my annual tech.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Marc Cefalo

Marc Cefalo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Region:NEPA
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:#00

Wow.  Is there not a decent race prep place in CT or NY that can do a cornerbalance and alignment on a Miata?  

being in the northeastern corner of PA, our shop is 30 mins from Pocono, 2 hours from the WGI, 3 from LRP, 3.5 from NJMP, 3.5 from Summit Point, 4.5 from Thompson.

for most its a 2-4 hour tow to our shop whether you're from new england, upstate NY, long island as well as the DC and Philly area.

we also do pick up and delivery for those that lead hectic lives during the week and their spare time to drop off and pick up their race car is limited.

Marc Cefalo

www.planet-miata.com

570-262-1013 direct

#1 source for new and used Miata parts and accessories.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

Davey Dew, please read carefully, there are 2 distinct sentences seperated by a period;

"All portions of the roll cage subject to contact by the driver 

must be padded with a minimum 1 inch of material.

Pretty straight forward to me. Anything the driver can hit MUST be padded by a material 1" thick. No specifications given other than 1" thick.

Sentence #2

Padding 
that meets or exceeds SFI 45.1 or FIA 8857-2001 (curved 
padding), or SFI 45.2 or FIA sports car head rest material (flat 
padding) specification is recommended."

Again, pretty straight forward. Gives you a "recommended" set of specs

Dave

• exninja likes this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Dave, we agree to disagree. Reading between your lines, you wouldbe saying the main hoop and side hoop may be padded with 1" thick soft padding. < That is the exact question I will ask the tech after he says he understands the roll bar padding rule. After I talk with a tech next week during the Majors race at Blackhawk Farm I'll post exactly what the tech said about roll bar padding. My reading of the GCR spec for roll bar padding is my understanding of SCCA grammer. :bigsquaregrin:  

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

The SFI spec is recommended, not required.

wheel

Glenn Davis

Glenn Davis

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Region:WDCR/Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:TBD

This is like a women's tennis match; lots of back and forth action with no point scored.

• CruzanTom and Sebastian Landy like this
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

This is like a women's tennis match; lots of back and forth action with no point scored.

Oh god...i just heard a bunch of grunting screeches in my brain :wacko:

Bench...make sure you post the Techs name and tell him you're going to do so here...

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

ScratchRob13, many times on this site a post gets way more disttention than required.

Bench...make sure you post the Techs name and tell him you're going to do so here...

Ron, this pacticular tech IMHJ is very good and one hell of a nice guy. After he answers the question I'll ask if I may associate his name with his response posted here. Mabe this rule is as it is so the folks that buy cheap helmets can use 1 inch soft padding to help the process. :banghead: They want to feel the hit pain one last time.

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

disttention?

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=tpXLxIn1e3U

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

disttention?

The opposite of attention, kind of like a tangent or bloated.

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

You just made that up.

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

And yet we continue to watch the tennis match......... trying to convince ourselves that those are really panties underneath that little skirt that flies up every now and then. Instead of a pair of buzz killing shorts.

• Alberto and MPR22 like this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

:wacko:

Are the correct phrases "I'm going to tell" online, "nanny nanny poo poo" ??  :tipsy:

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

You just made that up.

Sometimes a guy gets caught.  :raincloud:

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

ScratchRob13, many times on this site a post gets way more distractions than required.

Ron, this pacticular tech IMHJ is very good and one hell of a nice guy. After he answers the question I'll ask if I may associate his name with his response posted here. Mabe this rule is as it is so the folks that buy cheap helmets can use 1 inch soft padding to help the process. :banghead: They want to feel the hit pain one last time.

Fixed!

Are the correct phrases "I'm going to tell" online, "nanny nanny poo poo" ??  :tipsy:

J~

Was serious. "A tech steward told me X" is not a viable argument to in this case interpretations. Maybe this question has been discussed at length in the tech world in which case the Tech will be confident in his answer and will stand behind it.

BTW...i have no clue the correct answer or interpretation :wacko: 

How about this phrase johnny...CBIYH? :burst:   

Ron

RAmotorsports

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Just saying if you have an issue with SCCA, take it SCCA, not, i'm going to post it online. :moon:  :burst:

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Ron, disttention, distractions, either word makes as much sence as the roll bar padding rule has since 2001.

Just saying if you have an issue with SCCA, take it SCCA, not, i'm going to post it online. :moon:  :burst:

J~

Johnny, you can't be taking the Clowns place, he comes back now and then. The comment to post what the tech's response is was made as a his understanding of the rule.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users