James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

After a quick look, Huffmaster father and son have completed STL laps in the 39's and 40's. Maybe Drago pulled the plate in his Spec Miata to run STL????

Jim Drago??? 1:40.605 1st session, 1:41.337 2nd session in STL. STL car or pull the Spec Miata plate?

It is not legal to "just pull the plate" and run a SM in STL.  You must be in full SM trim, or be fully compliant otherwise with the STL rules (engine size, weight, etc)

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

Drago - 1:42:848 - New (SCCA) club course record. Previous record Mark Bennett, 2008, 1:44:472 (82.7 mph)

Am I missing something?

6.10.6. Lap Record
Official lap records are set during races; not practice or qualifying.

Out of curiosity, why don't they allow quali?  Not enough tech post session?

In any case congrats on the smokin' lap in a new car.

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

Mark Drennan

Mark Drennan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Region:NorCal
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:10

It is not legal to "just pull the plate" and run a SM in STL.  You must be in full SM trim, or be fully compliant otherwise with the STL rules (engine size, weight, etc)

I've heard conflicting opinions on this.  I've heard you can run ITS trim in STL - no plate and a manual rack in a '99.  No idea what's fact/fiction but would like to know.

Thanks,

-Mark

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

After reading the rules once through, agree pulling the plate with a weight of 2563 pounds (if my math is correct) doesn’t work. Ride height may also be an issue.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

I've heard conflicting opinions on this.  I've heard you can run ITS trim in STL - no plate and a manual rack in a '99.  No idea what's fact/fiction but would like to know.

Thanks,

-Mark

Super Touring Category Specifications

12. Power steering may be modified in any of the following ways:

a. disconnected

b. an OEM manual steering rack for that model may be fitted

c. an electric power steering pump may be fitted

d. An OEM electric-assisted steering system may be used.

STL Maximum

Displacement (cc’s) Minimum Weight Notes

ITS, ITA, ITB, or

ITC vehicles with a

reciprocating piston

engine of 2L or less

engine displacement.

(1985-)

Max displacement

See GCR 9.1.3

Minimum Weight

See GCR 9.1.3

Must completely conform to ITCS specifications

Manual steering

Under ITCS, did not view a rule for steering. Will believe if the 99 Miata came with a manual rack or per the below C. Specifications may make update/back date rule may make it legal. Don’t totally understand the update/backdate rule. For info, here is a comment from Miata.net site. Pat McCartin, I spoke with Jim at East st when I was looking. They (manual rack) only came in the 03 Club Sport and a handful of stripped base 99’s.

C. SPECIFICATIONS

The SCCA shall publish the Improved Touring Category Specifications

(ITCS) containing the officially recognized specifications for each car

eligible to compete in the Improved Touring Category during the calendar

year.

To maintain the stock basis of Improved Touring, updating and/or backdating

of components is only permitted within cars of the same make,

model, body type (e.g., sedan, station wagon, convertible, etc.), and

engine size as listed on a single Improved Touring Specification Line.

Any updated/backdated components shall be substituted as a complete

assembly (engine long block, transmission/transaxle, induction system,

differential/axle housing). No interchange of parts between assemblies

is permitted, and all parts of an assembly shall be as originally produced

for that assembly (such parts may, however, be coated, painted or

plated). Additionally, it is not permitted to “create” a model or type of

car by updating or backdating assemblies. Parts or assemblies which the

manufacturer lists in factory service manuals or parts guides for a particular

model which supersede or replace original parts or assemblies are

permitted. Documentation of the superseding parts or assemblies must be

supplied to the Club Racing Department and the appropriate part numbers

listed on that particular model’s specification line.

GCR ITCS P. 506

GCR ITS Spec Line P. 536 No restrictor plate and weight is 2375 pounds.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
New car so far has obviously been really good. Not even hiccup. Race day is when the troubles usually start. the tires are obviously faster as there is zero explanation for the times we are turning. They are much more toyos, you really have to drive the crap out these tires.

On STL , running my STL car with spare engine ( down 10-12 hp from primary) sm susp kit for time being, old sm tires and 235 lbs heavier than SM. Didn't expect to go much faster.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

New car so far has obviously been really good. Not even hiccup. Race day is when the troubles usually start. the tires are obviously faster as there is zero explanation for the times we are turning. They are much more toyos, you really have to drive the crap out these tires.

Great run Jim...nice job! Your consistency is very impressive...looked like about .6 between your fastest and slowest lap in 17 trips :clap:

Something to be said in the little tidbits you put out!!

Nice job to our West coast representatives,..Charlie Hayes and Jason Godfrey who both finished top 10 :thumbsup:  

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

JRHille

JRHille

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:48
Gas pedal stuck to the floor. Good times...

1999 Spec Miata
Hilltrux - Roush - V2 Motorsports - ESR

BFG Supertour Winner - SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79

Gas pedal stuck to the floor. Good times...

Glad you came out of it OK JR.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Sat Race

http://scca.cdn.race...SatRace-GP2.pdf

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Hey, a little off topic and maybe I'll do it's own thread but...

I'm a big cut and paster.

With Win7 and 8 I couldn't paste what I wanted to post.

Turned out it was Internet Explorer 10 and 11.

So if you want to cut and paste but can't, uninstall IE11, (for example) and pick IE 9.

Or you may have 9 after you uninstall and reboot.

J~

Edit:  this only works for Win 7.

Still having issues with Win 8

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Number:26

Congrats Jim, looks like it was a fast day at MidOhio.  

BummerJustin.  That had to really get your attention.  

The battles behind Jim looked tough.  Good luck tomorrow to all.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Craig Berry

Craig Berry

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:TX
  • Car Number:29
CONGRATS JIM! Amazingly consistent laps. The 6 and 7 day weeks and long hours to get that you and York have had are really paying off......a new build that is both fast and problem free.
Circuit of the Americas Winner - Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

SM Sun grid

http://scca.cdn.race...p2 sun grid.pdf

Sat STL Race

http://scca.cdn.race...p4 sat race.pdf

Sun grid

http://scca.cdn.race...p4 sun grid.pdf

J~

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
Was a good day for me today, a shout out to to an up coming local guy Jonathan Davis, first SCCA race and a podium finish.
Jim is fast but we got a little closer today.
Weather was perfect track is fast. The SM 7 is fast and not graining
  • JRHille likes this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Craig Berry

Craig Berry

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:TX
  • Car Number:29
Congrats Jonathan Davis! Looked like a very strong weekend. Also, no surprise Burdzy was right there. And WAY TO GO Novak!....Great podium and some fast times today.
Jim, I may have upset the racing gods and spoke to soon bout the new car
Circuit of the Americas Winner - Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

JRHille

JRHille

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Car Number:48
HUGE congrats to Jonathan. Very cool to watch him climb the ranks with our NASA crowd. What a way to have his first win ever be at such a competitive race at his home track....just awesome!

1999 Spec Miata
Hilltrux - Roush - V2 Motorsports - ESR

BFG Supertour Winner - SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Going to give a quick write up of today, i am sure there will be others, as this was a fantastic weekend of racing, the weather was perfect, the field was competitive but forgiving for the most part. Qualifying was interesting as most did not have a chance to practice the day before, for those who did they soon figured out that the SM7 was the tire to have at Mid O, the SM6 was much slower. The 7 was good right out of the box and you could run them fresh without graining the rubber. Between the track conditions and the new tire. The track record in the mid 144’s, was bested by 17 drivers on Saturday.

Saturday, Drago finished P1 with a blistering fast lap and new track record of 143.127, followed

2. Voytek

3. Johathan Davis

4. Sterns

5. Todaro

6. Hayes

7. Bednarz

8. Williams

9. Godfry

10. Selmants

Hillie qualified well so did Novak but both had Mechanicals, including Webb.

Sunday was also a morning race cool temps. On the out lap, Drago had a mechanical with a half shaft leaving Voytek, Rowley, Davis, Stearns, Hillie to battle it out. Davis got around Voytech, for P1, Novak came from 10th to grab third behind voytek.

I am sure there are many more battles to report.

From my standpoint, I had some fantastic racing with Charlie Hayes and Tom Brown on Saturday, Charlie and I must have traded the same spot 4 time, and gave plenty of racing room.

Tom Brown is cool because he always brings beer, I always look forward to seeing Dave Wheeler and the folks from Advanced Auto Sport, look forward to seeing you all next year.

I would say the big news story out of the race was, the SM7 was rocket fast, and did not fall off, Also however several bearing failures were reported this weekend, I wonder if there is a connection.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Thanks for the write up/details Frank.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Sun SM

http://scca.cdn.race...SunRace-GP2.pdf

Sun STL

http://scca.cdn.race...SunRace-GP4.pdf

J~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users