Photo

Mid-O Majors Smack Talk

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Now don't you wish you had Todd's problem. :)

J~

Said with a  :)  case hardened cheap crap hubs are designed for passenger car loads....................................................:bigsquaregrin:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I really hate posting videos.. :wacko:  But here is mine.  As I said, tons of wheel spin. I think we had that corrected for Sunday, we shifted about 60 lbs to RR and kept the same cross weight.  It sounds bad, but I really dont think it hurt my lap times very much if at all. But was looking forward to seeing what we had on Sunday. 

Jim

• Danny Steyn and JRHille like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Nice job Jim...to much weight on the that left side  :D

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Said with a  :)  case hardened cheap crap hubs are designed for passenger car loads.................................................... :bigsquaregrin:

Yes,  "cheap crap hubs are designed for passenger car loads", only got 30hrs. on them before failure.

Just saying, :rolleyes:

Carrying on,

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Yes,  "cheap crap hubs are designed for passenger car loads", only got 30hrs. on them before failure.

Just saying, :rolleyes:

Carrying on,

J~

Said with a  :bigsquaregrin:  , for a site moderator, you seem to have selective thread/post reading capabilities. Did you miss the post of the Mazda super duper hub failures at NJMP this past weekend? You seem to be cherry picken posts that favor your thought process. With all the periphery fluff aside (the same fluff existed back in the day when the E prod 1st gen Rx7 hub was redesinged) there are two main issues were looking at, a very weak hub race/bearing balls/hub flange and tires that apply to much load to the hub race/bearing balls/hub flange.

:wave:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jonathan Davis

Jonathan Davis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:16

I haven't had much time on the computer this week, but I wanted to thank everyone for the kind words. It was great finally meeting so many of you guys...

I also have to say a big thank you to Mike Rossini. One of the nicest guys I've met in the SM community and seems to be pretty good at putting a race car together too. Car has been running flawlessly this season and I think it's safe to say it's faster than my old 1.6 :)

Having never driven on Hoosiers before this weekend, the SM7 had tons of grip and felt very stable and forgiving compared to the Toyo RR. Really a fantastic tire, at least at Mid-Ohio. I look forward to trying it out at other tracks.

My races really didn't have much action. Saturday was mostly just running nose to tail with nobody being able to make a move and nobody making mistakes. It was really cool to be a part of though. When Jim pulled off on Sunday I knew the rest of us would have a shot, so I just did my best to maintain position behind Voytek and not get caught up fighting with everyone. After I got the lead I tried to build a little bit of a gap, but I was fully expecting the pack to catch up once they sorted themselves out. As the laps went by, I don't think anyone was more surprised than me that that wasn't happening. Around halfway I think I realized I might actually hold on for the win. Those last few laps were the most nerve-racking of my life...

• Bench Racer, Jim Drago, Danny Steyn and 1 other like this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Congrat's Jonathan, nice job.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

After I got the lead I tried to build a little bit of a gap, but I was fully expecting the pack to catch up once they sorted themselves out. As the laps went by, I don't think anyone was more surprised than me that that wasn't happening. Around halfway I think I realized I might actually hold on for the win. Those last few laps were the most nerve-racking of my life...

That's awesome! Congratulations again!

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Congrats Jonathan, on several fronts. I have raced with you for years and you  have done nothing but improve dramatically every year. This was a pretty big race and pretty cool it was your first win if I have my facts right. That is impressive. Lots of good drivers and fast cars, this was not the Special Olympics.

I would say what was most impressive to me was not that you were as fast as you were because i know you can rip off some fast laps, but you consistency was the big ticket. To me the first step in the learning curve is learning to rip off the fast qualifying lap, but the harder challenge is running that lap every lap of the race. You seam to have figured that out.

Nice job, but i am not giving you any breaks this weekend. It on.

• Danny Steyn and JRHille like this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

JRHille

JRHille

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Car Number:48

Let's make Jonathan a shirt with a target on his back  :)

• Jim Drago likes this

1999 Spec Miata
Hilltrux - Roush - V2 Motorsports - ESR

BFG Supertour Winner - SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Let's make Jonathan a shirt with a target on his back  :)

shouldnt you still be wearing you hans, helmet and driving suit? :0 your lucky I am such a nice guy :)
  • Speedycrw and JRHille like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Speedycrw

Speedycrw

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Region:Western Michigan
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:55

Nice job Jonathon!  What a time to break through for the win!  I have raced with Jonathon for the last three years, he has steadily climbed the ranks, upgraded equipment when he needed, and began to put everything together to not only get the win, but breakthrough in a very tough field! 

Congrats to Jim on his Saturday win....great car, great driver.  Sorry I couldn't give either any pressure this weekend, not a good outing for me :(

Chris Williams
2000 Spec Miata Orange #55
NASA Great Lakes Spec Miata Series Director

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Thanks for sharing your video Jim. Nice and smooth.

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Jim Daniels - FIG

Jim Daniels - FIG

Site Founder

• Administrators
  • 274 posts
  • Region:Mid-South
  • Car Year:1989
  • Car Number:Any
I guess FINALLY someone listened to me. I have been beating the VVT drum quietly with clients for years. When I snookered everyone into forcing the VVT cars to run the small brakes, I thought most would get the picture. AKA the cars are faster on 99 brakes lol.

I hope this finally paves the way for the mx5 in SM. It's LONG over due! Yes we can make them equal but why? The new mx5 needs to be the face of SM.

All that said, Drago not only put an explanation mark on his driving ability but did it in a car they tossed together in 3 weeks or less. AMAZING!!

I watched closely and the guy put in a stellar race. Moreover, damn car yanked off the turns like a John Deer tractor. I'd hate to race him less being in a VVT he built for me, no thanks.

The writing is on the wall, VVT or mx5 take your pick, but pick you must.

Only bright spot I have in this fight is 2015. I've told Drago I'm in for whatever SM he chooses to race, ill race the same and sell it after Daytona.

Let the games begin with the champ taking another at Laguna with a VVT. DAMN!!!
  • Chuck Caldwell likes this

"Never Stop Challenging"

Jim Daniels

Auto Sports Consulting / Coaching

My cup runneth over - Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup Champ Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - World Challenge Participant in a Mazda  - World Challenge Participant in a Mazda Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Grand-Am Competitor - Grand-Am Competitor in a Mazda  (can be GT, and ST)

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

I hope this finally paves the way for the mx5 in SM. It's LONG over due! Yes we can make them equal but why? The new mx5 needs to be the face of SM.

The writing is on the wall, VVT or mx5 take your pick, but pick you must.

Awesome idea and since the only thing that is even remotely the same on a Miata compared to an MX5 is the nameplate and since it's so easy to equalize all the cars I suggest we roll in all the T4 cars, the STL's and maybe some E and F production cars (Nissan, Honda, Whatever).  That'll help SCCA's class consolidation efforts too.  Heck, all we gotta do is take the letter "M" from our class letters on the side of the cars and turn it upside down so that it's a "W" and we'll have our new class, Spec Whatever.  

• Jim Daniels - FIG and screaming monkey like this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Daniels - FIG

Jim Daniels - FIG

Site Founder

• Administrators
  • 274 posts
  • Region:Mid-South
  • Car Year:1989
  • Car Number:Any

Awesome idea and since the only thing that is even remotely the same on a Miata compared to an MX5 is the nameplate and since it's so easy to equalize all the cars I suggest we roll in all the T4 cars, the STL's and maybe some E and F production cars (Nissan, Honda, Whatever).  That'll help SCCA's class consolidation efforts too.  Heck, all we gotta do is take the letter "M" from our class letters on the side of the cars and turn it upside down so that it's a "W" and we'll have our new class, Spec Whatever.  

That is exactly the same mentality that nearly ended SCCA. Long live my Bug Eye Sprite, damn the rice burners!  Anything but a Ford engine in a Formula Ford will never work.  NASA thrives on our membership's doom and gloom attitudes.  

A MX5 to a Miata is WAY closer than what we see in IMSA ST or PWC TC with a variety of Makes. Their fields are vastly different mechanically in every way yet they turn the same lap times and all Makes rotate for wins.  To suggest a '04 Miata and a '06 MX5 can't be balanced is rather ridicules in the face of the actual instances where performance balancing is successful. 

The real issue is the "perception" of car owners.  1.6ers did not want the 1.8, neither of them wanted the '99s and soon none of those groups will be very happy with the '04 VVT.  Ponder where the class would be right now if it was a 1.6 only class?  It would be a regional IT sort of class of cars near 25 years old.  

If the goal is dwindling car counts, increased average driver age, loss of contingency due to reduced brand impact etc.... then we do it like the old timers did, you know the ones who did not even want SM as a class.  

But I suspect and hope that just like in previous years with the 1.8, '99s etc... the MX5 will be in SM, balanced and helping the face of SM keep up with the face of newly licensed members.   

Then again, there is a resurgence of vintage FF drivers, maybe an aging fleet of SMs will draw a crowd I've not yet discovered.  Who knows, the youngsters might "not" want to drive cool cars with modern looks and mechanicals.  

All written in a smack thread mind you old friend  ;)

• Tom Sager and Chuck Caldwell like this

"Never Stop Challenging"

Jim Daniels

Auto Sports Consulting / Coaching

My cup runneth over - Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup Champ Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - World Challenge Participant in a Mazda  - World Challenge Participant in a Mazda Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Grand-Am Competitor - Grand-Am Competitor in a Mazda  (can be GT, and ST)

bmw251

bmw251

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
So..... With this midohio performance and the backing of Mr. Daniels does the VVT car buy itself a smaller restrictor? Or are the other cars in that race not top prep cars or .... Drivers in that race not familiar with the track like Mr Drago....
I am newer to SM and just built a 99 and just dabbled in the past..... I was very thankful for the videos posted as it gives me a goal to try and replicate smooth driving.
I am guessing in the future the 99 will run unrestricted and lose weight to compete with the mx5 cars. I am guessing too that it would require a SM spec compound but multiple tire sizes..... Alot of smart guys out there, can't wait to see what these creative minds come up with.

Greg
  • DrDomm likes this

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:53

As a former production driver, car owner and past member & Chairman of the Prod Adhoc Committee, I can assure you that it will be far better to slow down the MX5 & the VVT cars than it would be to make the earlier cars go faster. Going faster always costs more. Just the additional stress on the cars will make things break and wear out sooner. It's far easier to restrict/add weight the VVT & MX5. The newer cars will find additional ways to go faster while the older cars are fully developed.

But, everyone wants to go faster. So, ignore this and spend more. Lead =$ + restrictor= $ while go faster = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and you still won't beat them.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

So..... With this midohio performance and the backing of Mr. Daniels does the VVT car buy itself a smaller restrictor? Or are the other cars in that race not top prep cars or .... Drivers in that race not familiar with the track like Mr Drago....

Greg

Mid Ohio did not establish any trend for the VVT.

Saturdays race won in a VVT driven by Drago the current National champ 2x

Sunday race won by a 99, and on both days Drago's times were within a few hundreds on the next 99

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Waterboy

Waterboy

MEATHEAD Racing Hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Number:15

Mid Ohio did not establish any trend for the VVT.

Saturdays race won in a VVT driven by Drago the current National champ 2x

Sunday race won by a 99, and on both days Drago's times were within a few hundreds on the next 99

Come on frank. You know how this works. It won it has to be an overdog. The car is the only thing that matters.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users