Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

Yo Saul!  You got some free time on your hands?   :hugegrin:

I see some minutiae for you to work through with this idea: put clay between the races & torque to increasing values & measure the clay thickness at each level.

See if there is at some point the clay thickness approaches zero.

Think of it like building a 4-cylinder engine and PlastiGauging one main bearing at a time.

:laughing:

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:73
No need for plastigague. If the inner races are not touching there is no play. How could there be???
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
Point of fact I run torque at 80-90# on my hubs and have not seen a failure ever. Increasing the torque is simple compressing the inner races and potentially creating distortion. The inner races are touching each other at near zero torque. If there is play they are touching too soon
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

The good part of several folks thinking, inspecting, measuring, and throwing out their info (I discredit no one's info, maybe a bit from AW33COM :bigsquaregrin:) is sooner or later something comes to the surface.

Saul, you may have provided this info, Frank made a zero inner race gap comment along with others. I have measured one hub for inner race end gap and found there was .005/.006 inches clearance. Keith made a comment that when he was checking inner race end gap the gap was the same as the thickness of a SunFlower seed bag. I collected a a failed hub from Jared Gerber at the Blackhawk Farm Major race earlier this year, inspected the outer races, found nothing, measure the balls to 4 places, found nothing. the grease was original. I had previously looked at the ends of the inner races of the non-falied hubs I have taken apart, perfect smooooooooooth finish on the hub inner race ends. I looked at the ends of the inner races of Jared's failed hub bearing and guess what, both inner race ends are spalled. Will those of you with failed hubs please look at the ends of the inner races and check for smoothness or spalling and report back your inspection results. Betcha many failed hubs have inner races with spalled ends. Has anyone ever machine ground.030 inches off the inside end of each bearing inner race when the hub was new or before the failure? Hub bearing life may be longer. :scratchchin:   Saul, Michael Novak (old bearing guy), anyone???

Johnny, that's all for now. :wave:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Installation note:

they say that you should NOT grease the spindle when installing. some times the hub does not like to slide home. does anyone lubricate the spindle before you install the hub? 

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

If the hub does not slide on, you have some sort of interference, corrosion, knicks, deformaty, etc. A light sanding will probably cure the problem.

The inner races have to touch. If not, the entire force from the spindle nut would be pinching the ball bearings. The inner races do not spin, they are held in place by the spindle nut.

Dave

• mellen likes this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

mellen

mellen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:87

If the hub does not slide on, you have some sort of interference, corrosion, knicks, deformaty, etc. A light sanding will probably cure the problem.

The inner races have to touch. If not, the entire force from the spindle nut would be pinching the ball bearings. The inner races do not spin, they are held in place by the spindle nut.

Dave

Dave is correct. The inners should NOT spin. the outters and balls are moving around the still inners.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting HOLY SHIT........WHAT A RIDE!!!!!!!!
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

Dave is correct. The inners should NOT spin. the outters and balls are moving around the still inners.

Mellen we know your Balls are moving around your Inners, you do not have to post that up. seriously, how bad was your bearing failure during the race Sunday? left/ Right Race destroyed?

Failures i have seen:

1) hub gets loose wobbles when you grip tire 12 and 6. I have ran and repacked those with a slight movement and had not issues for a short period of time, at some point the play gets to big not worth risking it

2) noise and thumping the race is coming part, pitting,, hub is toast and needs replaced asap

3) the plastic retainer Holding ( mellen's balls) comes apart, if caught soon enough the hub does not destroy itself and my live another day. ( could be caused by cracking the ball retainer when repacking)

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Mellen we know your Balls are moving around your Inners, you do not have to post that up. seriously, how bad was your bearing failure during the race Sunday? left/ Right Race destroyed?

Failures i have seen:

1) hub gets loose wobbles when you grip tire 12 and 6. I have ran and repacked those with a slight movement and had not issues for a short period of time, at some point the play gets to big not worth risking it

2) noise and thumping the race is coming part, pitting,, hub is toast and needs replaced asap

3) the plastic retainer Holding ( mellen's balls) comes apart, if caught soon enough the hub does not destroy itself and my live another day. ( could be caused by cracking the ball retainer when repacking)

So what are you tqing too ??

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

My father-in-law who prepares a GT2 Nissan laughs at me every time I torque my hubs all the way up to 120.  My assumption is that Mazda specs a higher number because they don't expect customers to repack and retorque them every few weeks.

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

So what are you tqing too ??

J~

125-135

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

There is a reason the spec calls out for that. It's the position of the inner ways in relation to the the balls and outters.

as noted earlier. .003" for every 10# ??

Just reading what MSP told Brandon and the SKF spec that AW33 posted (159~216), this needs to be correct, IMO.

If your not having a problems, then you can listen to Father-in-Law all you want.

And Frank that sounds too low.

J~

• DrDomm likes this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

40 ft-lbf diff is a live or die.

Here's a fact: If and when the nut stops TURNING, the reading on the torque wrench becomes meaningless, or at least misleading. Torquing an oil-wetted cylinder head bolt is NOTHING like torquing a dry hub nut where we expect almost no "stretch" (strain) in the joint.

"Greased" fasteners will achieve higher clamping force for a given torque - sometimes this is good (i.e. our eccentric alignment bolts, which we KNOW need - and tolerate - much higher "torque" than the FSM-spec), and other times it is bad. .

The post about the MSP hub having play until 160 ft-lbs is REAL interesting. IF the play is a cause of the short bearing life, and IF they are replacing the balls such that the bearing fit is being altered, THEN this torque spec issue would seem to be a big deal.

I've never seen play when installing a bearing, and I've never seen a bearing that lasted very long once it developed play, and I've never seen play be caused by something other than catastrophic failure of the races (90% of the time) and balls (<10% of the time).

In short, this 2014-era "play" seems to be entirely different in nature and cause versus the 2002-2010 "play" that I/we were familiar with???

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

One other thought is if you replace your balls with higher precision and their different in size, the spec tq could be off.

I would guess larger ball would be less TQ.

So what do you have to lose, tq higher and see what you get. 150+

J~

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Number:58

Just reading what MSP told Brandon and the SKF spec that AW33 posted (159~216), this needs to be correct, IMO.
If your not having a problems, then you can listen to Father-in-Law all you want.
J~

216 is for the Rear axle.

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

My bad, I think were both off it's Nm ft-lbs. Rear is 235ft lbs for a 99?? 

http://www.skf.com/b...6360/457377.pdf

Front proc. Rear proc.

Make/ or torque or torque

Model Year ft-lbs/Nm ft-lbs/Nm

Miata .....................................1999-2003......... 159/216[87] 235/319[68]

1990-1997......... 159/216 217/293[88]

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Number:58
^ Ah, that's it! I remembered the second number referred to something different. Just didn't remember well enough to be correct.

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

and I've never seen play be caused by something other than catastrophic failure of the races (90% of the time) and balls (<10% of the time).

Not looking to argue, because you have fondled way more failed hub/bearings than me. I have only fondled one (1) failed hub. I'll take Jared Gerber (#9) and his crew guys word that the hub was loose when it was woobled by griping at 12 and 6 o'clock. This hub has no identification number. This hubs outer races are not a visiual failure, the balls are not a visual failure, the bearing cages are not destroyed/look good, the inner races look good except the ends of the inside ends of the inner races are spalled. The ends of the two inner races are spalled which without doing further checks means the inner race ends have been touching while under load. Here is a comment from my post #24,  I looked at the ends of the inner races of Jared's failed hub bearing and guess what, both inner race ends are spalled. Will those of you with failed hubs please look at the ends of the inner races and check for smoothness or spalling and report back your inspection results. Betcha many failed hubs have inner races with spalled ends. There have been 189 peeks at this thread since I left my pc this morning and no one has responded if their failed hubs have inner races with spalled inside ends ends. There are many contributors to these hub/bearing failures. With no disrespect to anyone or anyone's comments, I do not believe these hubs/bearing balls/bearing inner races were designed with the parameter that when under the specified torque load the inner race inner ends wold touch. Think about the tolerance costs to achieve such a feet. Vehicle bearings with real outer races have been around forever and the inner races when torqued to specification never touch.

Trust me, I'm going to grind .030 inch off one end of my inner races there by eliminating one of the bearing failure contributors. Oh, that would be illegal, I can't do that.  :bigsquaregrin:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Michael Novak

Michael Novak

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:Michigan
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:#9
I will look over the couple I have left at work tomorrow morning. I as much as I know better have been filling the garbage up with them. I know very little about bearings except my ability to wreck them in hubs as go late. We will measure and document what little I have.
Majors Winner - Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Thinking... do you want a gap between the outer inner race (nut side) and the inner, inner race (hub side) ??

If there's no contact / tq, wouldn't the inner, inner race spin because nothing is holding it?

If you know what I mean.

J~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users