Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

To use a well-worn quote from Col. Sherman T. Potter .ret - "Horse Hockey!!"

WGI, from my understanding, only permits specific medical companies to operate within their confines so it's unlikely to be a "bill cramming" situation with a disreputable service/company.

Unless the track rental didn't explicitly state the rental fee included EMS services for any and all incidents (IOW, it was just a "retainer" to the EMS crew to meet event/sanction insurance requirements) there could be grounds for the EMS company to bill individual drivers.

At that point you get into what was stated in the event supplementals and whether entrants were fully aware of what their risks (financial & health) were.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39

For those that got to ride in the ambulance, be aware of what took place at a recent PCA event.  http://rennlist.com/...nce-charge.html  Hopefully, this won't happen for you guys.

WOW Chris - that's seriously BAD. When I mean it got nasty, I mean seriously nasty, worse than a cop with an uncooperative perp. They gave me NO OPTION, pretty much told me that they would force me into the ambulance if I didn't go voluntarily. If I get an invoice for the ride, I will most definitely do something about this. If, and I stress IF,  this is their modus operandi, I wouldnt be surprised if their is a class action lawsuit in their future.

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Parity

Parity

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Region:North East
  • Car Number:51

Had 2 serious wrecks at WGI last year both involving totaled car. In each incident the EMP's recommended a trip to the ER but it was my option. The second event my helmet was broken so I was persuaded. Sounds like they may have changed their policy.

Mark McCallister

Mark McCallister

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:40

Wow, that is crazy.  Seems like forcing someone into an ambulance works out to a felony.  http://ypdcrime.com/...135.htm#p135.05  EMTs are not LEOs...

Tyler Kicera

Tyler Kicera

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Region:PA
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:44

I agree with you Danny, if I get a bill I am going to be LIVID.  Did they ask you for your address because they asked for mine?  I parked the car at the crossover between turn 1 and turn 2 and was prepared to jump in the truck with my Dad who had come down to check things out.  The car was being put on the hook at that point.  They told me I HAD to ride with them to the care center because I made contact with a barrier.  The guy inside did nothing other than ask me if I could remember what happened.  In hindsight I should have just driven it back to the hauler.

Tyler Kicera  |  YouTube 

2016 NASA Eastern States Champion

2015 & 2016 US Majors Tour National Points Champion

2015 & 2016 Northeast Majors Tour Conference Champion

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Have you checked the mail today?

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

WOW Chris - that's seriously BAD. When I mean it got nasty, I mean seriously nasty, worse than a cop with an uncooperative perp. They gave me NO OPTION, pretty much told me that they would force me into the ambulance if I didn't go voluntarily. If I get an invoice for the ride, I will most definitely do something about this. If, and I stress IF,  this is their modus operandi, I wouldnt be surprised if their is a class action lawsuit in their future.

If a club intends on charging its members for track damage, or a ride, i would expect notice of it ahead of time. So as we like to say about our rules, if it does not say you can then you can't. (Supps).

In PCA we charge for track damage and Oil dry bills, so we list that up front on what the costs can be. So i have never seen our SCCA region charge for either to a driver.

In my little ride to the care center at Road America they were not asking for my address or health card, just concerned i did not lose any of the few brains i have left.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

This seems appropriate with this tangent. Included in the SCCA event waiver we all sign. I understand someone in the past mentioned this may not hold it's ground in a court of law.

RELEASE AND WAIVER OF LIABILITY, ASSUMPTION OF RISK AND INDEMNITY AGREEMENT APPLIES TO ALL SCCA EVENTS

5. Hereby acknowledge that THE EVENTS ARE POTENTIALLY VERY DANGEROUS and involve the risk of serious injury and/or death and/or property damage. I also expressly acknowledge that INJURIES MAY BE COMPOUNDED OR INCREASED BY NEGLIGENT RESCUE OPERATIONS OR PROCEDURES OF THE RELEASEES.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

I'm pretty sure SCCA carries insurance for these events.  I wonder if they are getting billed for these ambulance rides.

(I got a ride in 2010.  At the October school I spun in the bus stop and stopped on the inside.  I got tagged by someone fixated on me.  I drove the car back to the paddock.  The ambulance hunted me down, picked me up, and drove me 100 yards to the garage.  I didn't get a bill.)

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

AJ Roderick

AJ Roderick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:Neohio
  • Car Number:56

I bounced off the guard rail after spinning in the laces.... i drove back to my trailer and had no one come after me

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Michael Novak

Michael Novak

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:Michigan
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:#9

I bounced off the guard rail after spinning in the laces.... i drove back to my trailer and had no one come after me

AJ--They were looking for people like Danny and Frank who still have most of their marbles left...  :)

• FTodaro and Danny Steyn like this
Majors Winner - Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts

Tyler

Yes both the EMS and the doctor asked me for my name address and phone number with I provided to both.

I am VERY curious as to where this leads. The degree of coercion that I experienced was nothing that I have ever experienced by anyone in authority. Even the TSA are total wimps compared to these two persons (both female I might add), and I deal with the TSA every day and they have REAL authority, trust me.

I understand that this thread has taken a tangent, but the Rennlist thread above makes me reconsider everything that I experienced. Yes we might all be jumping to conclusions but I am also going to raise this with the Glen Region of SCCA to ensure that the treatment I received does not continue

Danny
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

I have forwarded some of this to Club Racing, in Topeka, for their information.

Waterboy

Waterboy

MEATHEAD Racing Hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Number:15

(both female I might add),

Hmm, maybe they were trying to get a job Danny :)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts

I just chatted to Ed Zobrowski - Chair of SCCA Glen Region and made him aware of my experience and of the Rennlist experience. We both hope that their motivation was purely an over zealous application to their duties.

Ed did reassure me that all costs related to medical treatment at any SCCA event are handled directly by SCCA, so no one should be receiving any invoices. If anyone does, please advise Ed directly. Could be completely different EMS service providers at PCA and SCCA for all we know, but they are contracted through WGI and not through SCCA. Ed will raise the issue of EMS's handling of drivers to WGI.

Danny

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

My bet is those EMS workers are incentivised to get people in the truck, The Region and SCCA should be looking into the charges to see if they can be charged more for giving a ride then just a simple respond to an accident.  If that is so this needs to be dealt with at a higher lever.

K. Webb