Kyle Keenan

Pass right

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Region:Oregon Region
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:44

Oregon boys not sand bagging Johnny, just not used to the whole "slam someone out of the way to pass" thing.....

#44 Team KBR/KKRProducts.com Spec Miata
#44 Team KBR/Dick Hannah Kia Rio B-Spec/ World Challenge TCB
#16 & #36 Blairco Spec Miata's, ICSCC

2014 SCCA B-Spec National Champion

Dick Hannah Dealerships | Kia Racing | Team-KBR.com | KKRProducts.com | DBB | Fast Specialties | Blairco Heating | SBOX Engineering | Sikk Shades by Eddie Bauer, JR | Hawk Performance

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Oregon boys not sand bagging Johnny, just not used to the whole "slam someone out of the way to pass" thing.....

Sorry my bad, I shouldn't assume, I just didn't see the laps time.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Kyle Keenan

Kyle Keenan

Pass right

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

While I'm here:

-Mark D 
-Joey Jordan

-Hayes

-Drago looked strong as ever

• Johnny D likes this

Dick Hannah Dealerships | Kia Racing | Team-KBR.com | KKRProducts.com | DBB | Fast Specialties | Blairco Heating | SBOX Engineering | Sikk Shades by Eddie Bauer, JR | Hawk Performance

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I agree with Drennan. But the top 4 in the 45's without Carb or Hayes not there ??

http://www.race-moni...Session/5149820

Not sure what happened to the Oregan gang, they're usually on podium, that's why I said sand bagging.

I believe Sutherland's the SCCA West Coast Champ this year.

J~

Not sure what results those even are? they are not accurate with anything from the weekend? Weird 

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Show me yours and I'll show you mine. :)

IDK, it's the wild west out here.

Here's one.

http://checkerlap.co...61e3b0002ff4a4d

Race Monitor has another for SFR scca.

Pick a good one.  :)

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

It is a bit frustrating they will get more spec miatas for a regional then they will for the SCCA premier event, also very small turnout from SOCAL Everyone down here is under the impression that you must spend 50K to run the runoffs.  I thought we proved last year that you didn't...

Anyway don't forget that last year was the 50th anniversary of the runoffs so pretty special and the year before they only had 24 spec miatas (2012) at the runoffs.  So 45 is really not that bad.

Thanks to everyone picking Joey.  We are squarely focused on winning the Teen Mazda Challenge (west) hope we can hold on and win it so the Runoffs will be very relaxing!  LOL

I think 10 cars will have a shot at winning.  My top 5 in no order

2 Time

Drennan

Hayes

Carbonell

Lamb

Many others with a chance

Whether there be 10,20 or 40.. it will always be tough.  I just expected a 60+ car field being the first time on the west coast since the 60's.  

I also think Stearns is a good choice, well unless he is right in front of me with two laps to go  :noidea:  He was fast all weekend and these corners where you feel like you can really hurt yourself suit his style :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Show me yours and I'll show you mine. :)

IDK, it's the wild west out here.

Here's one.

http://checkerlap.co...61e3b0002ff4a4d

Race Monitor has another for SFR scca.

Pick a good one.  :)

J~

That looks correct

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

The race monitor link was set on Qual not position, if you switch it....

http://www.race-moni...0?sortmode=race

But I digress, carry on.

J~

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Laguna rewards consistent driving for sure...very tough for equal cars to make easy passes. Passes are generally made when mistakes are made. That said, certain corner mistakes will lead to a side by side game of chicken in the next corner...which will lead to everyone keeping up and more side by side behind and eventually someone finding themselves 4 off losing 6 positions or stuck in the quick sand!

I cant imagine those new to the track that week having any chance. That said...most are getting in seat time in the next month. I still have to give the nod to those with a lot of seat time at Laguna! Knowing what NOT to do here is the key!

As always...qual will be HUGE!!! Normally I would say anyone outside the top 5 stands zero chance of getting to the top with a green flag race...but with the deep field and aggressive drivers I predict a minimum of 2 double yellows! This will keep things closer and allow someone who maybe had a horrible qual to inch there way forward one car at a time!

Top 5 in no particular order...

Mark Drennan...no one is better prepped! Like not picking Rory McElroy in the next PGA event!

Ken Sutherland...for pure experience and racecraft! If his car is up to snuff a no brainer pick!

Charlie Hayes...not given the credit he deserves. Super patient!

Will Schrader...my buddy pick! Skills no question. If the car shows up watch out~

Jim Drago...despite his attempt for some to discount him, I dont buy it :P He loves to turn left!!!

Notables and guys that may blow up my first list!

Andrew Carbonnell...reputation!

Todd Lamb...reputation and past accomplishments!

Joey Jordan...his new 01 out qualified Drennan a few weeks ago! No problem staying on Marks bumper in the race!

Brian Ghidinelli...Local knowledge and the new 01 is fast and should be sorted!

Matt Reynolds...showed he had the speed earlier this year.

Kyle Kaiser...If he keeps it clean and doesnt take himself and/or others out...he is fast! Craziest car color award!!

Now...a little call out to those who are not on the entry list that should be!!!!!!

Elliot Skeer, Alex Bolanos, Tyler Vance, Clement Lee, Danny Steyn(lame excuse ;) )and a whole slew of local guys that arent going to win but sh$t...this is once in a lifetime!!

Now that a few of the out of towners have done a few laps my statements above may make more sense  :yep:  So I will make 3 changes to my early predictions...

1. By default Lamb may be out. Eric Stearns will take his place.

2. Instead of Top 5 i'm changing my list to top 10  :P

3. "Favorite"  Mark Drennan.  "Spoiler" (Not on my first list)Larry Fraser...confident he will pass tech :) (Also called "Homer pick")

Further predictions

1.  5 of the 11 on my list will break or be taken out(by themselves or someone else sometime during the week/race)

2.  Over/under on double yellows is 2.5...i will take the over.

3.  50% chance there will be a waived off start or restart.

4.  75% chance tech will only check for obvious known items.

5.  20% chance of a wet race...in which case my money goes to the  Oregon boys.

6.  80% chance Jim Drago will fall asleep in a chair at which point there will be internet photos of him and a blow up doll.

• Kyle Keenan likes this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

I'm going for the Man Drama ;)

• tripplej93 likes this
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Sean - MiataCage

Sean - MiataCage

• Moderators
  • 301 posts

4.  75% chance tech will only check for obvious known items.

Interesting thought.  Since Butch is now gone any clue who is going to handle tech?  I hope maybe that's why Collins is showing up.  

Bauer is a nice guy but know's nothing about tech........ on a Miata.  With all the Man Drama at Nasa East over motors I was really looking forward to some answers and validation to some of the accusations and images being thrown around.

SCCA if you are listening..... Please do a proper job with tech and validate the podium and hard work by all the competitors.  Tech at Majors this year has been less than stellar, so please get this right and don't embarrass yourself.  That means have a comprehensive plan with enough qualified personnel to accomplish the plan as well as tools that didn't come from Harbor Freight.   I really hope we don't have to hear the same old tech excuses we get about not enough time and no resources.

This should be a stellar race for 2nd on down.  Drennan has done all the right things this year and appears to be un-stoppable.  He is beyond prepared for this track and event.

Sean

• Bruce Wilson and Ron Alan like this
Sean Hedrick - President
www.miatacage.com
360-606-7734
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys!

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

Meathead is racing, so he will not be in tech. I will be at the track, but with the T4 car. So no conflict of interest.

I have been in tech the last few years. Be prepared to pull motors out of the car. Remove valves, cams and crankshafts. Somebody bring a engine hoist since mine has been used the last few years by everybody. And it won't fit as carry on luggage!!!!

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Somebody bring a engine hoist

2x4, chain, Drago on one side Collins on the other(In a pinch of course!)

Sean...cant disagree(or bet against) on Mark. But its going to be a tight group up front...and anything can happen(this showed up last weekend :wacko: )

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Bauer is a nice guy but know's nothing about tech........ on a Miata.  With all the Man Drama at Nasa East over motors I was really looking forward to some answers and validation to some of the accusations and images being thrown around.

Sean

Not really accurate. 

John has been doing tech at SM Runoffs for I think the last 3 years?  He knows what he is doing.  Butch did not do tech in SM, he oversaw all classes in tech.  John ran the show in Sm. 

Like I said when people say I know what will be checked.. I would feel very certain in saying...

The motor will come out...

The head will be fully inspected

The cams will be run on cam doctor

The engine will be cc'ed this year and not whistled. 

bore and stroke measured

piston, rods inspected and weighed

crankshaft inspected and weighed

front and rear shock dynoed

springs and suspension pieces verified

computers will likely be swapped pre race ( read supps)

Transmission and or rear end inspected

rotors, front hub inspected..

I am sure they will be looking for many other things as well.

Side note..

John is ALWAYS looking for things to check.. If you or anyone else want certain things checked or believe people are not in compliance. He is open to suggestions. Call or email him 

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

This should be a stellar race for 2nd on down.  Drennan has done all the right things this year and appears to be un-stoppable.  He is beyond prepared for this track and event.

Sean

And while I agree Mark is my favorite as well if I was betting my money... make no mistake though.. We are all going there to win, so I wouldn't hand him the trophy just yet :) 

• Mike Collins and tripplej93 like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

There are lists that have been compiled for Q and R for all classes at the Runoffs.  The items on the lists will be checked, and it is an extensive list for SM.  Rest assured, if you bring a non-compliant car to the Runoffs, they will probably catch you.  

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
Matt Reynolds
Joey Jordan
Drago
Drennnan
Brian g
No particular order although 2 of the 5 are running my power so I do have a preferred order :-)
  • john mueller and tripplej93 like this
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Kyle Keenan

Kyle Keenan

Pass right

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Great point Chris, totally spaced on Matt Reynolds. He looked very strong there in June.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Are we going to get a new lap record??

Race.

SM 1:45.457 76.39 Mark Drennan San Jose CA, CA 1994 Mazda Miata 6/7/2014

Qual

SM 1:45.452 76.40 Mark Drennan   1994 Mazda Miata 6/8/2014

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

Are we going to get a new lap record??

What months are track records normally set at this track?  :noidea:    Or is that  not an issue, out that ah way.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users