• Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Are we going to get a new lap record??

Race.

SM 1:45.457 76.39 Mark Drennan San Jose CA, CA 1994 Mazda Miata 6/7/2014

Qual

SM 1:45.452 76.40 Mark Drennan   1994 Mazda Miata 6/8/2014

Pole will be mid to high 44, race lap will be low 45 is my guess. Mark didnt break a sweat in either race yet :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

15. To be eligible for an SCCA National Runoffs invitation utilizing the SWRRC path, drivers must participate in a minimum of four declared SWRRC points races and be in the top three positions in class point standings for their respective class, except SM and SRF, where the top 5 will be invited. Since the SWRRC Championship will not be concluded at the time of the Runoffs, invitations will be extended to drivers meeting the requirements at a time three weeks prior to the start of the Runoffs event. Drivers who qualify for the Runoffs by either the SCCA National Points path or the SCCA Majors path will be ignored when determining who is eligible for a Runoff invitation utilizing the SWRRC points’ standings. For example, if the top two drivers in class in the SWRRC qualify for the Runoffs based on their participation in the same class in the SCCA Majors series then the drivers who are in positions three, four and five would be eligible for Runoff invitations through the SWRRC path as long as they meet the participation guidelines.

I only participated in 1 Major this year and had to take the "divisional path" to the run-offs. 

Its a shame I still don't have my invitation to participate even though we are inside of 3 weeks to go.  I tried looking this up about 2 weeks ago as Mr. Haldeman wanted me to go to the race, but I had to tell him I couldn't confirm if I was eligible and didn't want to spend the money going to a race I wasn't invited to.  The SOWDIV website didn't have the most recent point standings up when I looked so wasn't sure were I stood as I couldn't make the last divisional race and could have been pushed out.  

I believe the SCCA has some more work to do on their organization.  I think 3 weeks notice is a little skinny even if they had hit that date.  

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

15. To be eligible for an SCCA National Runoffs invitation utilizing the SWRRC path, drivers must participate in a minimum of four declared SWRRC points races and be in the top three positions in class point standings for their respective class, except SM and SRF, where the top 5 will be invited. Since the SWRRC Championship will not be concluded at the time of the Runoffs, invitations will be extended to drivers meeting the requirements at a time three weeks prior to the start of the Runoffs event. Drivers who qualify for the Runoffs by either the SCCA National Points path or the SCCA Majors path will be ignored when determining who is eligible for a Runoff invitation utilizing the SWRRC points’ standings. For example, if the top two drivers in class in the SWRRC qualify for the Runoffs based on their participation in the same class in the SCCA Majors series then the drivers who are in positions three, four and five would be eligible for Runoff invitations through the SWRRC path as long as they meet the participation guidelines.

I only participated in 1 Major this year and had to take the "divisional path" to the run-offs. 

Its a shame I still don't have my invitation to participate even though we are inside of 3 weeks to go.  I tried looking this up about 2 weeks ago as Mr. Haldeman wanted me to go to the race, but I had to tell him I couldn't confirm if I was eligible and didn't want to spend the money going to a race I wasn't invited to.  The SOWDIV website didn't have the most recent point standings up when I looked so wasn't sure were I stood as I couldn't make the last divisional race and could have been pushed out.  

I believe the SCCA has some more work to do on their organization.  I think 3 weeks notice is a little skinny even if they had hit that date.  

Does this help/explain ??

http://www.sfrscca.o.../view/9511/119/

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest

I am eligible but the SCCA did not have the results posted timely so that I could verify.  Also if you go to the Run-offs website the SOWdiv has still not provided national with their list of eligible drivers.   

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Sorry to say... The SCCA took something simple and totally turned it into a cluster.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Should we start a new SCCA Smack talk thread or is this ok?? :)

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Pole will be mid to high 44, race lap will be low 45 is my guess. Mark didnt break a sweat in either race yet :)

Well, it's been 2 years on Hoosiers in all different conditions including temp and track conditions. To suddenly find .5 to 1 sec would seem unlikely. Qualifying and race are in the middle of the day this year...not ideal. But if the fog is in and the temp stays below 60 there is a small chance we could see a high 44. Race laps in the 45's will be there....anyone who can run 20 laps in the low 46's will be on the podium!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Region:West Coast
There have been a few 44s done this year. The track should rubber up nice with all the guys on track through the week.

Little upset with Drennan snatching my March race record by .003 from me in June. Just means there is some work to do Tuesday-Thursday and definately on Friday.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

To suddenly find .5 to 1 sec would seem unlikely.

Added competition tendes to change lap speeds. :yep:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Added competition tends to change lap speeds. :yep:

I couldn't agree more. We might need to save this post :)

• Charlie Hayes and JRHille like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

I did forget we were on quiet exhaust last week...for some that did hurt times! I do believe both track records will be broken...1/2 second ok, 1 second just seems like a reach. Then again, maybe Jim was down on power mid race again??  :)

Added competition tendes to change lap speeds. :yep:

No doubt...and usually its from 70mph to 0mph in about 3 seconds!

• Kyle Keenan likes this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Mark Drennan

Mark Drennan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Region:NorCal
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:10

Certainly appreciate the nods and am very comfortable with a target on my back for this one  :wave2: :prayer:

I’m sticking with the prediction I made months ago.  History will be made…first place will be a tie with my teammate Charlie Hayes!!! :toast:

I like my chances but know Charlie’s going to be right there with me as he’s been all year.  I barely nipped him to take the qual record he set earlier this year and we had some side-by-side racing at the end of the March race.

After Charlie and I tie to become the first ever Co-Runoffs National Champions in Spec Miata, I think it’s a tossup between more than a handful of drivers.  :noidea:  I’d love to see a TFB and/or California lockout of the podium and better yet, the top 5. :grouphug:

1st Place:  tie between Mark Drennan & Charlie Hayes

(Tie-breaker, if necessary = # of colonoscopies…MD-1, CH-0) :moon:

2nd through who cares places (alphabetical):  Berry, Carbonnel, Drago, Ghidinelli, Godfrey, Jordan, Kaiser, Stearns

Lap times will really depend on the weather, as they always do.  Current track records were set in warm June weather for the race (mid-afternoon) and qual (late morning).  If it’s cool (50 to 65) and overcast, I think we’re likely to see high 44’s. 

BONUS:  In case it rains, I wanted to help y’all out with some video of my qualifying session back in March.  Laguna is really tricky in the rain and it wouldn’t be fair competition without knowing the rain line.  So, here you go... :raincloud:

Laguna Seca – Spec Miata – The Art of Qualifying in the Rain…

https://www.youtube....bDKquXRGQXCgrTw

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6Bt4WsGvARg?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You’re welcome!  :)

-MD

• Ron Alan and MDixon like this
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Todd Tagget

Todd Tagget

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:42

How's that Rain-X sponsorship coming Mark ? :-)

• Think Racing likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

2nd through who cares places (alphabetical):  Berry, Carbonnel, Drago, Ghidinelli, Godfrey, Jordan, Kaiser, Stearns

-MD

Now that is some smack talk :)

Ron

RAmotorsports

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
Good thing you didn't go back out on your rain video Mark...could have really screwed yourself after losing your times coming back paddock! Your radio man was asleep!

Ron

RAmotorsports

CARacer

CARacer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1991

West coast guys pretty lame in bringing the numbers  :noidea:   46 SRF to 42 SM . Not sure why, but I expected a lot more SM at this event. 

I'm surprised at the low local turnout, too. What was everybody spending all that money on Hoosiers for?

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

46 SRF 45 SM now, if that makes a difference.

http://www.motorspor...3DEC39AA39D3EEB

J~

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Region:West Coast
All this tech talk makes me want to talk smack.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

So start talking Charlie - lets hear your smack - don't tease, bring it on!!!!

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

I'm going to go out on a limb and pick the 7th place finisher as the new National Champion ;)

• john mueller and tripplej93 like this
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users