Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Yes, CCR rule.  For whats it worth, I was told almost every run group had an issue on Friday with SM having the most show-up after the one-minute signal was given.  ** NOTE: I was not there,  I got this information from a NASA official. **

Below are links to the rules and the unedited excerpt from them.

NASA EASTERN NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP REGULATIONS (aka: "supps") - found on page 3

8. Grid
1) Drivers running in back to back sessions may have their second car staged in the pit lane or grid with the permission of the Grid and Pit Lane/Re-Entry Officials.
2) Cars not in position by the 1 minute signal may be held at the front of pit lane until their respective class/group has received the green flag.

NASA CCR - found on page 67

20.3.1 Pre -Grid
Pre-Grid should be formed, as scheduled, prior to the race.  Any driver failing to make it in to their assigned Pre-Grid before the one-minute signal is given, will be sent out last of all classes.

The competitor has the option of missing the warm up lap, in which case they may be released from the pit lane with their class, at the discretion of the Re-Entry Marshal, after the green flag has been displayed, or racing resumes. Under no circumstances, except under direct order from the Race Director, will a late car be allowed to regain their position on the pace lap.

Personally I wish there was some leniency awarded since the logistics of the facility helped create the problem, but I also heard that a adult pedestrian with a child was very nearly run over by a non-mazda racecar as the car sped through the paddock to make grid.  After that incident they had to get serious.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Zyr6VDaaWJE

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Personally I wish there was some leniency awarded since the logistics of the facility helped create the problem, but I also heard that a adult pedestrian with a child was very nearly run over by a non-mazda racecar as the car sped through the paddock to make grid.  After that incident they had to get serious.

Whether it be race car, street car, golf cart, pit bike, bicycle or skate board...all of use need to police ourselves, crew, friends, family and our fellow competitors to keep it at 5 mph or slower in the pits. There isn't a weekend that goes by that someone isn't almost run over! This also goes for people walking in the middle of the road on their phone or with earbuds jammed in their ears oblivious to all.

Awhile back at Laguna, I was on my bike with a cup of coffee in one hand(dumb in my part) and came out of a pit lane into the main road. I was turning right...so I looked left rolling slow and it was clear. Never stopping I looked back right as I turned and there was a guy on a quad trying to panic stop and avoid me. It happened so fast I could not react other than my heart rate tripling. Without spilling a drop I rolled right across his path as he missed me by inches. All I could do was yell sorry and his was to yell dumb f#ck! Of course 3 seconds later I realized he had to have been doing about 20mph and was on the wrong side of the road. Well, I dodged a bullet and hopefully he had to change his shorts!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39

Personally I think that the NASA guys that ran the inaugural EAST COAST Champs did a tremendous event. 

HOWEVER, IMO I prefer the way that the SCCA uses the Road Atlanta vs. the way that NASA used it at this event. Here are a few of my observations.... and these are meant constructively

1. Lets start with Tech. If you make the drivers exit the track at the first up-ramp then they can drive direct to tech and line up  in front of the tech shed without causing a traffic jam. Using the last exit from pit row as we did at NASA created a total cluster for every session, and of course backed up the cold pits unnecessarily. It also created public traffic flow issues, and parking isses. After the first qualifying race they wouldn't let drivers get out of their cars after the session in well over 100 degree temps with drivers just about passing out. The drivers meeting the next day fortunately resolved that issue
  2. I suspect that the reason that NASA used the far side  of the track (pro-pits) to stage the cars for grid, was because the anticipated holding cars in the cold pits, which is where the SCCA stages the cars for the next race. Unfortunately this  created so many unhealthy situations of cars speeding to make the grid on the far side of the track when sessions were not run on time and was further compounded by a lack of clearly announced calls to the grid which are absolutely critical if the schedule drifts from the printed schedule. There should be a 10 minute call, and a 5 minute call at least.
  3. While I MUCH prefer the start to be waved at the official start/finish line bridge, there were no incidents that I am aware of,  so I cannot say that waving the green at the end of pit road is a bad idea.

As I say - just my opinions, to be ignored at will !!!! :-) 

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Marc Cefalo

Marc Cefalo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Region:NEPA
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:#00

Personally I think that the NASA guys that ran the inaugural EAST COAST Champs did a tremendous event. 

HOWEVER, IMO I prefer the way that the SCCA uses the Road Atlanta vs. the way that NASA used it at this event. Here are a few of my observations.... and these are meant constructively

1. Lets start with Tech. If you make the drivers exit the track at the first up-ramp then they can drive direct to tech and line up  in front of the tech shed without causing a traffic jam. Using the last exit from pit row as we did at NASA created a total cluster for every session, and of course backed up the cold pits unnecessarily. It also created public traffic flow issues, and parking isses. After the first qualifying race they wouldn't let drivers get out of their cars after the session in well over 100 degree temps with drivers just about passing out. The drivers meeting the next day fortunately resolved that issue
  2. I suspect that the reason that NASA used the far side  of the track (pro-pits) to stage the cars for grid, was because the anticipated holding cars in the cold pits, which is where the SCCA stages the cars for the next race. Unfortunately this  created so many unhealthy situations of cars speeding to make the grid on the far side of the track when sessions were not run on time and was further compounded by a lack of clearly announced calls to the grid which are absolutely critical if the schedule drifts from the printed schedule. There should be a 10 minute call, and a 5 minute call at least.
  3. While I MUCH prefer the start to be waved at the official start/finish line bridge, there were no incidents that I am aware of,  so I cannot say that waving the green at the end of pit road is a bad idea.

As I say - just my opinions, to be ignored at will !!!! :-) 

my biggest gripe is that it was hit and miss whether grid would do a 5,3,1 minute warning like scca.  it's the single biggest thing that comes to mind that scca does better than nasa.  sorry guys, but we don't all have accurate clocks in the car to compare to the schedule to know exactly when we should expect to be released from grid.

also smoking in grid?  one of the female grid workers i saw smoking right in grid????  not sure if that's normally allowed by nasa and or road atlanta....

getting the starts at the end of pit road i agree with Danny also.  there is no way the starter can see the entire field of a large group formed using the traditional starter stand location.  

just like the scca runoffs at mid ohio, the back straight was always used for starts yet the front shorter straight was used for the finish line.

Marc Cefalo

www.planet-miata.com

570-262-1013 direct

#1 source for new and used Miata parts and accessories.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

After the first qualifying race they wouldn't let drivers get out of their cars after the session in well over 100 degree temps with drivers just about passing out.

We had a similar thing at the NASA Nats at Miller last year. They decided that they were going to test everyone doing an emergency exit under the alloted time in impound, so everyone was in their car full gear, helmet still on etc. They took forever to actually get someone there to give us the go ahead to exit our cars.  I'm all for safety, but if you are going to hold people in broiling heat, you'd should proabably have the official in impound ready to give the signal as soon as the last car rolls in.

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

We had a similar thing at the NASA Nats at Miller last year. They decided that they were going to test everyone doing an emergency exit under the alloted time in impound, so everyone was in their car full gear, helmet still on etc. They took forever to actually get someone there to give us the go ahead to exit our cars.  I'm all for safety, but if you are going to hold people in broiling heat, you'd should proabably have the official in impound ready to give the signal as soon as the last car rolls in.

I was subjected to this in PT.. It was VERY frustrating to be stuck sitting in a sweltering car watching a bunch of very unorganized people waiting for god knows what to start the tests?  By the time the got to me.. i was ready.. i got out in what appeared record time to me.. but when pulling off the wheel and laying on dash, it bounced and hit windshield and broke it badly. 130 degrees inside all you have to do is touch the inside of the windshield. I didnt mind the test, but it could have been done much better than it was.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Lesson learned for me from this thread is we'll tell drivers in advance when the egress test will occur.  Hopefully, this will help but some folks to take their sweeto'l time on that cool down lap...  Maybe if they know egress will be happening the dawdlers will move faster.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

Lesson learned for me from this thread is we'll tell drivers in advance when the egress test will occur.  Hopefully, this will help but some folks to take their sweeto'l time on that cool down lap...  Maybe if they know egress will be happening the dawdlers will move faster.

We were told in advance.  Everyone was already in impound.  It took a long time for the officials to come over and give the go-ahead.  FWIW, we didn't do it one car at a time, it was everyone at once.

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
Its a huge ass waste of everyone's time...

We did the same horse shit at mid Ohio wait around and wait around for everyone to be ready to do a max exodus and then one individual didn't get out in the 10 and not 20 and maybe not 30... What did nasa do? Not a damn thing but laugh. Oh maybe he had to do it over again. Not sure he made it second time. This is part of annual tech and its personal protection. If you don't care if you burn up its your own business why should everyone sit around waiting to practice together. Just my 2cents.

K. Webb