Michael Novak

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:Michigan
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:#9

VVT is RPM only.  It phases with oil pressure.

Danny----- Excellent graph!!!!!....  Do you think you could cover the rest of the tracks we race?  :)

My opinion is the length of the straight away on the 99-01 battle..  The 01 with everything even will pull the 99 every time. The 99 will pass the 01 at the top of 4th or parts of 5th. Mid Ohio--My 01 will pull the 99's out of Keyhole every time. The 99's draft behind and are passing or right there at the end...   a 01 pushing a 99 is unbeatable.

Majors Winner - Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39

Danny----- Excellent graph!!!!!....  Do you think you could cover the rest of the tracks we race?   :)

Michael I do have those track map analysis for every track I have raced. You are welcome to it after every event! :-) 

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Michael - those numbers are about the best we saw on that dyno, apart from Drago's 131/112. Most cars were in the 122-126 HP and 112- 116 TQ range. ON race day I recorded 126/112. Ambient conditions were 95F, 29.12in-Hg nand 36% Humidity - SAE 1.05. So in slightly cooler conditions your car pulled the same HP and +9 ftlbs more TQ than my '99. On paper you had the car to win!!!

I also see that the peak torque on your VVT occurs at the same place that it does on my VVT - around  4600RPM. My VVT is clearly a better car all the way to 5800 RPM at which point the '99 HP and TQ traces climb over the '02's. For many drivers the VVT could be a much faster car than the 99.

At Road Atlanta however we only spend approx 20 seconds of a 105 second lap under 5800 RPM which is why I chose to run the '99, despite having faster lap times on test day in the '02

Here is my pre-race analysis - the few seconds below 5800 RPm during the 3-4 upshift are negligible - its the long pulls at T1, T7 and T10 that are where the VVT has a real advantage.

Road-Atlanta-02-vs-99-comparison.jpg

There is talk afoot that they are talking about adding wt to the vvt car because of its perceived  advantage, Yet Danny chose his 99, with all his data and almost won it.

So if we dial back the 01+ it will be inferior to the 99 at all parts of the track and the 99 will still be dominate in the areas of the track not shaded above.

It would be nice if this decision was made on real data vs. perception.

Full disclosure I have both a 99 and 01 so i am on both sides of the fence.

can we start a new thread?

• MPR22 likes this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I had this debate with myself for about 30 seconds..  Lap times at Road Atlanta are not that important. EVERY RACE comes down to the last lap into T10, I wanted to be in the fastest car I owned going into the last third of the back straight.  That was the 00. 

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

I had this debate with myself for about 30 seconds..  Lap times at Road Atlanta are not that important. EVERY RACE comes down to the last lap into T10, I wanted to be in the fastest car I owned going into the last third of the back straight.  That was the 00.

I 100% agree with you. I believe the VVT will qualify better but the 99 race better on this particular track. IMO the only true passing zone is the last third of the straight Jim mentioned. I can catch up on all those uphill sections but then I am stuck in the train. I will post some video showing this exact situation.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users