Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

It has been stated that building to the whistler and not cc is in the gray area. Cc is a hard number that can be measured. That's not the gray area that's black and white. That is just playing the odds. It's like an oversized or no restrictor and hoping tech won't check it.

Ok, Accurate and fair statement.

So let's talk about how we have trained tech/proper equipment/work area at every event. Or ^^ that's just for the rule book.

A little more difficult??

Sorry back to reality.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

So let's talk about how we have trained tech/proper equipment/work area at every event.

J~

Let's be a bit more upfront.

Ralph, Jim, Dan, Mike, at the track the competitor is responsible to remove the head. Then for any one of you with knowledge/capabilities, what is the total time element to cc and calulate the compression ratio? 

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Ok, Tech guys, what would you do at the track...

Whistle 1st with no VC and if over CC???

Or CC the top xxx and a random few because it more accurate than Whistle?

Something different?

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Depends on the event. :)

If you catch his drift.

J~

A Runoffs winning Formula Ford driver once told me:

" I have a pretty good National motor, down a little for Regionals and terrible for Midwestern Council"

What will your conscience allow you to do? What will your ego force you to do?

Dave

Dan Tiley

Dan Tiley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Region:SEDIV
  • Car Number:33

Let's be a bit more upfront.

Ralph, Jim, Dan, Mike, at the track the competitor is responsible to remove the head. Then for any one of you with knowledge/capabilities, what is the total time element to cc and calulate the compression ratio? 

Assuming the head is already removed from the engine, everything is at ambient temperature, and you make ASSUMPTIONS based on existing data for:

1.   Diameter of piston above the rings
  2.   Piston top chamfer dimensions
  3.   Ring land height from piston top

You can CC one cylinder of an engine in about 20-30 minutes.  This includes:

1.   CC'ing the head (combustion chamber)
  2.   Measuring head gasket diameter and crushed height
  3.   Sealing the rings to the cylinder with grease
  4.   CC'ing the block for piston dome volume
  5.   Measuring bore 
  6.   Measuring stroke
  7.   Doing some math

If you don't make assumptions for the first 3, the piston  from the measured cylinder needs to be removed.  As a competitor, I would demand that those first 3 items are done correctly (piston removed), as those items increase the total combustion volume and lower the calculated CR number.  Now the total time to CC is well over an hour, not including cooling time (another 2-3 hours?).

I think Mueller was on to something with NASA when they prepared an outside firm to do the measurements.  I'll say it again, and I sincerely hope SCCA Tech can prove me wrong at the Runoffs, but it is just not practical to do a proper CC measurement at the track.  Note I didn't say "Not Possible"... I said "Not Practical".

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,567 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Ok, Tech guys, what would you do at the track...

Whistle 1st with no VC and if over CC???

Or CC the top xxx and a random few because it more accurate than Whistle?

Something different?

J~

In a happy perfect world..

Whistle cars with out valve cover and that would be the tool to check compression 100% of the time...

pass or fail based solely on those results ,,

If a car fails.. The competitor can ask for the car to be Cc'ed at their expense ( no bond by club)

At Runoffs or big Events, Tech can decide to CC if they like, but always after a whistler procedure IMO as it is such a quick and easy test.

• john mueller likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Thanks Dan.

You not only answered my question, I'm sure you eliminated curisity of others.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Dan Tiley

Dan Tiley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Region:SEDIV
  • Car Number:33

Whistle cars with out valve cover and that would be the tool to check compression 100% of the time...

If a car fails.. The competitor can ask for the car to be Cc'ed at their expense ( no bond by club)

At Runoffs or big Events, Tech can decide to CC if they like, but always after a whistler procedure IMO as it is such a quick and easy test.

That's where I'm at too.

We'll need to allow for a small tolerance over the spec though... Probably +0.2 (flickering to 0.3 being not OK).  The certification in my Whistler says it's good to +/- 0.2.  I've found it to be even closer than that, but it gives the competitor gets the benefit of the doubt.  Even if you come up +0.2 it's a waste of time and $$ to cc.  

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

I'm pretty sure I can get NASA to roll with this... 

Jim & Dan, lets get together and document a SM specific Whistle test procedure and put it into play.  I know SCCA may have some hurdles to making it an official rule (not a dig, just reality) but NASA could make it so mid-next week.  Again not a dig but, as a lever to possibly move it along.

IF WE THE COMPETITORS (or mostly) agree I see no reason why at next weeks Runoffs and next months 2014 NASA Western Championships this shouldn't be used.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,567 posts

I'm pretty sure I can get NASA to roll with this... 

Jim & Dan, lets get together and document a SM specific Whistle test procedure and put it into play.  I know SCCA may have some hurdles to making it an official rule (not a dig, just reality) but NASA could make it so mid-next week.  Again not a dig but, as a lever to possibly move it along.

IF WE THE COMPETITORS (or mostly) agree I see no reason why at next weeks Runoffs and next months 2014 NASA Western Championships this shouldn't be used.

SCCA and Runoffs will not have an issue IMO.  

SCCA can and will move swiftly here, but many on Smac and CRB will be at the Runoffs and very busy. We will have a SMAC soon and CRB meeting at the Runoffs. This will likely be official for 2015 IMO.  All seem on board though.  

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

Also there needs to be an appeal process where the competitor can have the car re whistled (car not to leave impound) and he/she should be able to watch the entire process with the instruction manual in their hands, so they can follow along and verify if the procedure was performed properly.  If done properly with Dan's suggested tolerances based on the manufacturers accuracy numbers a second fail is a pretty good indicator of possible infraction.  

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

SCCA and Runoffs will not have an issue IMO.  

SCCA can and will move swiftly here, but many on Smac and CRB will be at the Runoffs and very busy. We will have a SMAC soon and CRB meeting at the Runoffs. This will likely be official for 2015 IMO.  All seem on board though.  

Lets have the EXACT same verbage.

I'll probably document something for the Western Champs, more than likely in the event supplemental regs.  But for 2015 SCCA & NASA will be 100% inline on this issue.

Only took 10 page to get a here!!!

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Sean - MiataCage

Sean - MiataCage

• Moderators
  • 301 posts

All of this sounds like a great start.  I have a couple questions:

1.) If you make the Whistler the now defacto measurement tool, do we now need to open up the stroke on the motors to be free?  Can you cheat the stroke and still pass the Whistler?  I am told yes, but I don't know.

2.) Everyone keeps talking about how accurate the Whistler is, so I do not see the need for 10.2.  The rule is 10.0.  10.0 to 10.09 is legal, 10.1 is not legal.  10.2 is certainly not legal and I don't see the need to keep the creep however small moving.  The rule is 10.0 let's not complicate it any further.  There are many of us out there that have built to the 10.0 rule and I don't see the need to rebuild to now get to 10.2.

3.) I would also suggest that the Whistler is not the ultimate defining tool, so lets not change or write any rules that would approve it as such.  We have all heard the stories about people who don't know how to use the Whistler properly and we also now know that most all of the engine builders own Whistlers.  I think the CC still needs to be the defining way of establishing legality in either the protest process or Runoffs/Big Race scenario's.  I guess what I am trying to say is I don't want the rule to be written for the Whistler to be the ultimate defining tool in all cases since the engine builders already own these tools and will no doubt be able to find ways to build to the Whistler..... Again.

I think the proposed solution most are throwing out works for 90+ percent of the cases and I support it as long as there is still the ability via the rules process to CC the motor for a protest in those few circumstances that it is needed.

We also need to address the motors that are not going to be checked at the Runoffs.  I could be wrong, but I doubt the engine builders are going to tell us how many motors they built to the Whistler and I also doubt that they will do a recall of sorts to fix those motors.  Cliff Brown's idea of a fund to start protesting (to the new Whistler requirement) cars on the podium at regional races throughout the year next year is a good idea.  I am not only donating to his fund but will also be protesting cars on the West coast at all Major events if the Whistler doesn't come out through the normal tech process so we can get the offending motors up to compliance.

In my eyes these motors are still illegal and I am not willing to just overlook it since it is not the Runoffs.  We all spend a lot of time and money to race these cars and I think we need to get this reigned in on more than just the National level.

Sean

• Armando Ramirez and Danica Davison like this
Sean Hedrick - President
www.miatacage.com
360-606-7734
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys!

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you're legal, CC'd etc. You will whistle a 10 with the VC off. And the 10 is the spec for whatever year 99. Each are different. 

It's when the VC is on is where the hanky panky starts.

J~

Sean - MiataCage

Sean - MiataCage

• Moderators
  • 301 posts

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you're legal, CC'd etc. You will whistle a 10 with the VC off. And the 10 is the spec for whatever year 99. Each are different. 

It's when the VC is on is where the hanky panky starts.

J~

I think you are right, which is my point behind not needing to creep to 10.2.  

I however am also told that you can cheat the stroke and still read properly with the Whistler, but I'm not sure.

Motor guys need to chime in.....

Sean Hedrick - President
www.miatacage.com
360-606-7734
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,567 posts

All of this sounds like a great start.  I have a couple questions:

1.) If you make the Whistler the now defacto measurement tool, do we now need to open up the stroke on the motors to be free?  Can you cheat the stroke and still pass the Whistler?  I am told yes, but I don't know.

Absolutely not... the Stroke is relatively easy to check. I am bringing a stroke checker we made for the miatas, I will hand to John Bauer if he wants to use.

Bore, Stroke and Compression are hard numbers, none will ever be changed, nor should they.

2.) Everyone keeps talking about how accurate the Whistler is, so I do not see the need for 10.2.  The rule is 10.0.  10.0 to 10.09 is legal, 10.1 is not legal.  10.2 is certainly not legal and I don't see the need to keep the creep however small moving.  The rule is 10.0 let's not complicate it any further.  There are many of us out there that have built to the 10.0 rule and I don't see the need to rebuild to now get to 10.2.

I agree, but we may have some resistance if that is what is in the manual as a tolerance. Again, NO RULE WILL EVER SAY THE COMPRESSION RATIO MUST BE "X" AS READ BY THE WHISTLER.

3.) I would also suggest that the Whistler is not the ultimate defining tool, so lets not change or write any rules that would approve it as such.  We have all heard the stories about people who don't know how to use the Whistler properly and we also now know that most all of the engine builders own Whistlers.  I think the CC still needs to be the defining way of establishing legality in either the protest process or Runoffs/Big Race scenario's.  I guess what I am trying to say is I don't want the rule to be written for the Whistler to be the ultimate defining tool in all cases since the engine builders already own these tools and will no doubt be able to find ways to build to the Whistler..... Again.

NO RULE WILL EVER SAY THE COMPRESSION RATIO MUST BE "X" AS READ BY THE WHISTLER.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Once again, correct me...

This isn't a rule/spec change.

This is a test procedure doc addition/change?

J~

Sean - MiataCage

Sean - MiataCage

• Moderators
  • 301 posts
Perfect! :)

Absolutely not... the Stroke is relatively easy to check. I am bringing a stroke checker we made for the miatas, I will hand to John Bauer if he wants to use.

Bore, Stroke and Compression are hard numbers, none will ever be changed, nor should they.

I agree, but we may have some resistance if that is what is in the manual as a tolerance. Again, NO RULE WILL EVER SAY THE COMPRESSION RATIO MUST BE "X" AS READ BY THE WHISTLER.

NO RULE WILL EVER SAY THE COMPRESSION RATIO MUST BE "X" AS READ BY THE WHISTLER.

Sean Hedrick - President
www.miatacage.com
360-606-7734

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Agree :yep:

Mark Drennan

Mark Drennan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Region:NorCal
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:10

We also need to address the motors that are not going to be checked at the Runoffs.  I could be wrong, but I doubt the engine builders are going to tell us how many motors they built to the Whistler and I also doubt that they will do a recall of sorts to fix those motors.  Cliff Brown's idea of a fund to start protesting (to the new Whistler requirement) cars at regional races throughout the year next year is a good idea.  I am not only donating to his fund but will also be protesting cars on the West coast at all Major events if the Whistler doesn't come out through the normal tech process so we can get the offending motors up to compliance.

In my eyes these motors are still illegal and I am not willing to just overlook it since it is not the Runoffs.  We all spend a lot of time and money to race these cars and I think we need to get this reigned in on more than just the National level.

Sean

I agree the podium should always be whistled (and maybe even weighed here in SFR lol) and if it's not in the tech officials plan, then a protest is probably the only way to get it done.  If you're talking off the podium finishers, do you really have to protest someone first?  How about approaching people and talking to them about it?    I'm pretty sure many folks have no idea whether or not their builder gave them a CR compliant motor.  Those same people are likely to voluntarily submit to being whistled.  If they aren't willing and you're really suspicious, then go ahead and protest.

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users