Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Cliff... while I appreciate you personal crusade to clean up SM, I personally believe the mass protest strategy, while effective, turns compliance into a very personal and targeted attack.  The SIC should have been a very fun event, but instead there were 2 who left the track immediately and didn't even race, and a whole bunch of people pissed off at one another.   Does anyone know who won the race by a margin of 0.008s ... or who won the SARRC Championship that resulted from the race?  Isn't that why we do this in the first place?

Dillon won, and Selin won the sarrc title.

Just a siimple question who is it that left imediatly?  If  you are trying to say I left imediatly because of the man drama that is wrong.  I had been on vacation in Florida for a week and had  15 hr drive ahead of me and didnt think another 30 minutes on the track was worth wating around all day for therfore after running the 1.5 hour enduro I loaded up and headed out and had no idea what Cliff had in mind.  

I would be happy to have a voluntary whistling at the ARRC!  short of that a mass protest is what is neccesary to get the clean up started.  It isnt personal against anyone IMO...  many just need to know they are non compliant and I trust once they do they will make the apropriate changes.

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

guest driver

guest driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Region:11
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:90

another observation from someone who was there at Daytona ... watching the drafting packs coming from all the way back to the exit of the bus stop, everyone is tapped out in 5th as they come by me standing close to the entry of turn 1;

"Notice how some cars are sputtering on the rev limiter just past the start/finish line while others are still pulling strong all the way down to the braking point into turn 1"?

that's a good 500' of additional acceleration ... hmmmm ... just an observation ...

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:53
We rained out today at Pro Cup practice so I had time to look at latest.

I will be at the ARRC early with the same whistler used at Daytona. I will whistle any and all who wish to be tested. And I'll be willing to immediately compare that whistler with another.

How about some suggestions to do at the ARRC in case a motor whistles too high. Weight penalty? Another class-SMO? I certainly don't want a mass of tear downs or shipped parts.

And that gives everyone two months before the Florida Majors to get anything fixed.
  • Sean - MiataCage likes this

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

that's a good 500' of additional acceleration ... hmmmm ... just an observation ...

I raced at Daytona in May. Overheard from a spectator, "How come some of the Miatas are so much faster than the others?"

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

another observation from someone who was there at Daytona ... watching the drafting packs coming from all the way back to the exit of the bus stop, everyone is tapped out in 5th as they come by me standing close to the entry of turn 1;

"Notice how some cars are sputtering on the rev limiter just past the start/finish line while others are still pulling strong all the way down to the braking point into turn 1"?

that's a good 500' of additional acceleration ... hmmmm ... just an observation ...

So, ECU swaps and checks should be in order at the races in Daytona?  Or do you think it was gear ratio? 

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

So, ECU swaps and checks should be in order at the races in Daytona?  Or do you think it was gear ratio? 

These are questions people should be asking.

And then... don't ask... So where can I get one?

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

guest driver

guest driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Region:11
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:90

as S.A. Crebleu would say, astute cartography experts at work inside that little metal box under the dash ... 

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

If it were up to me, people that knowingly supply illegal parts (parts deliberately produced that are not in spec) to competitors would have their memberships in SCCA or NASA revoked or at least suspended.  An illegal ECU or blatant engine cheats like cams or way over on compression would be examples.  Yeah, tough to administer but one of the problems with club racing is that rarely are their any teeth in the penalties.  Downside risk is near nil.  

Fortunately, the majority of racers play it pretty straight I believe.  

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

We rained out today at Pro Cup practice so I had time to look at latest.

I will be at the ARRC early with the same whistler used at Daytona. I will whistle any and all who wish to be tested. And I'll be willing to immediately compare that whistler with another.

How about some suggestions to do at the ARRC in case a motor whistles too high. Weight penalty? Another class-SMO? I certainly don't want a mass of tear downs or shipped parts.

And that gives everyone two months before the Florida Majors to get anything fixed.

Jim lets assume a bunch of people get whistled voluntarily at the ARRC, the only ones SCCA should care about being DQed and the only drivers who have something to lose would be podium finishers.

In my view, at this stage of the game, we want people to come in voluntarily to whistle, to find out if they are legal and if not fix it. but if your going to punish them then i doubt anyone will voluntarily do it.

Now if you podium, its not voluntary so you get what you get, but i think people who do not know, want to know and should not get punished for trying to do the right thing, in the end.

Another two cents. I am up to a buck 70.

• RussMcB likes this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

As soon as the whistler becomes the absolute you are inviting oversize pistons/bores along with offset line bores....  Will the uniformed please stop jumping on the bandwagon!

I understand we have an issue we need to deal with.  Please let those that know what the F they are doing figure it out....  the whistler bandwagon is a little full at the moment and using that as an absolute IS A HUGE MISTAKE.....!!!!!

Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:53
No way do I want to punish anyone. My offer was to let everyone find out if their motor is compliant for CR. However, if it is not, I do not think they would/should be able to race it as is against a compliant CR motor. My suggestion was for Atlanta Region to figure out a way that everyone can still race but that the winner has a compliant CR. Post race tech will obviously look at other things other than CR.

Does this make sense or has the mountain air here in Virginia effected my thought process today?

Having been the one who whistled the cars, I know who had what CR at Daytona. It would just seem to me that if any of those cars or anyone else does not either want to or does not have time to fix their motor, they could race either with the weight penalty or the SMO. THIS IS JUST FOR THE ARRC.

So, if you think this is a dumb offer, I will not pursue it with the Atlanta Region folks. My personal email is jcreig53@mindspring.com. If you'd rather not reply openly, just send me an email.

After that, everyone needs to be compliant for the Majors. And if all of you will recall, I whistled many different cars at the Majors at Sebring and it was random after qualifying and podium after the races. Since Homestead will be first and they have the facility where Palm Beach did not, you can expect to visit the tech shed after qualifying and the races.

As most of you who know me personally have come to realize, I'm not bashful about saying what I think and I've been around long enough not to get my feeling hurt. Spec Miata has provided many of you with an affordable place to race and everything possible should be done to keep it as close to Spec as possible. I still believe that a home built motor should be able to run close to a pro built one. You've pasted that point, but it's time now to close the gap a little. Rules creep can be the down fall of a class and in SCCA, we've gone out of our way to prove it over and over.
  • RussMcB likes this

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

How about DQ?  Just enforce the rules.

• Jim Drago and Danica Davison like this

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA