Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Saturday, people didn't know what to expect, rain or not, most had no rains, myself include, some didn't show. Still had some great racing. (both races no rain)

Sunday, Sunny, everyone showed up, biggest field of SM's in NCRC history!!

1st race went without a hitch, I thought, big smiles from everyone talking about it after.

2nd race the pole sitter missed a shift and through a wrech in things, a little arge barge, but that's racing.

Still a great weekend.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Todd Tagget

Todd Tagget

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:42

Well here's the excitement part of the 2nd race on Sunday http://youtu.be/X-QgrWgWL7E

Looks like Nick missed a shift then couldn't find his brake pedal.. lucky he didn't get T-boned getting back on track..

Oh and I luckily missed David on turn 2 (for the second time that day)

http://youtu.be/X-QgrWgWL7E

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Todd,

I need all the details.

Who had the pie and how was it. :)

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ryan Wellman

Ryan Wellman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Car Number:91

looks like fun.  Too bad I missed out on the action.  So somebody post up the results of each 4 races

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Nick won every race, even the last one ^^

Kyle was the one to beat on Sunday, but I push Nick at the start for the lead and I heard he blocked like crazy after that.

Kyle had on the 2nd race but found Todds blown engine oil and whoops.

David and I were around when we weren't spinning.

J~

Todd Tagget

Todd Tagget

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Todd,

I need all the details.

Who had the pie and how was it. :)

J~

Grabbed Wendy's on the way home,, the pie will be served tonight!!!

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

I'll post the offer here, maybe it's own thread later.

Sat and Sun, Dec 27-28th, Laguna Seca at 90ish Db.

Dave and Luc said if there 30 "cars" interested in a race format, P,Q,R,R per day.

I say "cars" because it is a mixed class so any class of race car, trans am, whatever.

He'll put a race group in instead of another open or solo.

So you need a muffler to meet 90~92

We need to hear from you here if your in.

It's an open tire SM class.

We're all here to have fun with some close racing and drive it back on the trailer at the end of the weekend.

FYI, I think TFB has all of Drennan's 6 HC RR's/Hoosiers hand me downs for cheap.

I know it's the holiday and all, not sure if that works for or against.

But hey, racing at Laguna, things could be worse. :)

J~

Ryan Wellman

Ryan Wellman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Car Number:91
Todd blew an engine again? WTF. What is that 2 blown engines in 3 weekends?

Todd Tagget

Todd Tagget

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

I"m only counting 2,, the one was a junk yard engine,, but yeah looks like a piston disintegrated ... last one was a rod let loose

Kyle Gayman

Kyle Gayman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:40

Wow, haven't posted on here in a looooong time! I had a great time on Sunday. Thanks for letting me play, guys :)

Not sure if Nick is on the forum or not, but he should definitely use that video as a piece of guidance for his future racing career (and seeing as he's pretty damn good for his age, I look forward to seeing him around). Had he come back on like that in an SCCA event, surely someone would have ended up in the hospital. Even if you can't slow down very much in those few seconds off track, you should be able to slow down enough to at least turn slightly and come back on track parallel to the apex/track out. Hell, even if you have to throw yourself sideways, or if braking puts you into a slide (and I saw no brake lights in the video), at least the friction should slow you down enough to avoid a major collision. Ask me how I know... Point is, that wasn't a place to even think about holding a position--especially had there been 40 cars coming up to turn one and not 5.

Live and learn!

• Johnny D and Joe (dad) Jordan like this

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Agreed and blocking doesn't gain you any driver cred and normally puts you off in one turn.

He's doing the TMC next year with Topgear3793, Tommy M, a few more I think.

Should be good season with all this young blood, Good Luck everyone.

J~

Kyle Gayman

Kyle Gayman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Car Number:40

I guess I accidentally bumped his driver's mirror when we were lining up to start the race (didn't know it at the time), which knocked it out of place for the rest of the race. So I'll give him a pass on those couple times he turned in hard when I had overlap. Then again, we do have rear view mirrors to pay attention to as well, so who knows. :) He drove well that race, and never made any drastic mistakes to let me by. Bravo!

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Yes Bravo, he was too young for SCCA this year.

NCRC was the perfect place and he's got a ton of race laps under his belt there.

If only NCRC did Sonoma and more Laguna.

He did do some NASA so he's not a total newbie

Again well done Nick.

Nice to have you out with us Kyle, it was fun.

J~

ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Region:Nor Cal
  • Car Number:59

Agreed and blocking doesn't gain you any driver cred and normally puts you off in one turn.

He's doing the TMC next year with Topgear3793, Tommy M, a few more I think.

Should be good season with all this young blood, Good Luck everyone.

J~

Sounds like I missed another chance to run at the front! Will definitely attend the next one :] Congrats to Nick!

Johnny, Laguna in December sounds fun (especially considering I haven't had my first rain race yet... fingers crossed we see some for NASA champs :prayer: ), but I need to do some top end work after the championships to be a front runner in TMC next year. Most people can do valves in a weekend or two, but I have the mechanical expertise of a chipmunk so it will take me a while lol. We will see though!

• Johnny D likes this

-Ecobrap

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Car Year:1990

Looks like fun.  Wish I could have made it instead of working.

Some thoughts:

- Did that guy in the black car start the race in the grass?  Wtf...

- Wow, look at Brandon go in Sharpie!  Nice clean lines and head's up driving.  He's getting the most from that car.

- Nice avoidance Todd.  That was close!

- Can't make Laguna at that time.  Going to be doing Christmas stuff with family.

fotostars

fotostars

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:63

Congrats to Johnny D. for the championship on points this season!!

Fantastic progression from Nick during the year. Getting really fast in a 1.6 :-)

Well done on the wins this Week-End!

Let's plan on making next year a 15+ cars event every time. There is no reason we can't be 20+...

Spread the word, 4 races in a weekend for $260!!

Just uploaded my videos from the 4 races. I'll let you guys browse through them to find what you're looking for...

Some good action throughout most of them.

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

fotostars

fotostars

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:63

Sunday ones:

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Fun weekend for me and i'm glad Kyle decided to give the new 99 a shot before it gets sold! Different but has potential was his comment! I also let Nick drive the car just to see what he thought...ironically both drivers made the same comment..."heavy wheel" and harder to get the car to turn in and rotate. But by the end of Sunday Kyle was figuring it out a little and drove the car as fast as our 95 car.

What a difference a year makes as Nick has really improved! His driving was consistant and mistake free in the 2 races I watched. Having a strong motor always helps also as we had a hard time staying in the draft to the 1.6!

From the tower during the 2nd race on Sunday, it was obvious Nick missed a shift at the start. I looked away right then so i didnt see the contact that sent Nick off. But after seeing Richards video it looked like one of those racing incidents that happens in tight quarters! Roy in the red car is squeezing by to the right of Mark(black/gray). As Nick is finding a gear and getting back under way he is on the left(making 3 wide) and my guess is he is moving right a little. Roy is against the wall with no where to go as Mark moves right a little in reaction to Nick. Roy and Mark touch tires sending Mark hard left and ping ponging off Nick...Nick off into the grass. From the tower, I to did not understand why Nick did not slow down or make an effort to come right back on the front straight. Great heads up by all those who recognized what was going to happen and checked up as Nick came back on in the worst possible manner. In hindsight I'm sure Nick and his dad are re-evaluating the decision made. No position is worth balling up your car and someone elses with worst case someone getting injured. This was a bullet dodged for sure! 

David...I think you had a grip problem :hugegrin:  Nice job Todd avoiding that one and keeping the car under control!

• Joe (dad) Jordan likes this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Car Year:1990

Sunday ones:

Do the 2 red cars at the 7 minute mark understand that this is not a contact sport?   :smash:

What happened to your motor?

CARacer

CARacer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
Here's my view of the second Sunday race. I think Ron's completely right about the start. When they went three-wide it looks like the car in the middle had contact on both sides and sent the black car off track. I've seen, and been in, several situations where three-wide goes wrong because one or more drivers doesn't know they're three-wide and leaves room for one car instead of two. It's usually nobody's fault, it's just a bad situation and best avoided, in my opinion.

Not to pile on to Nick, he's gotten enough feedback about the re-entry already, but at the time I wondered if he was trying to take other cars out.

From about 5:30 to about 8:30 was another series of antics I was less than impressed with. I guess some people don't pay any attention to that speech Luc gives every time about "this is gentleman's racing" and "no blocking" and "you can zig but you can't zag." 

Anyway, overall another fun weekend. I was using up an old set of RA1s with 40+ heat cycles, and the car was a bit of a handful, especially on right-handers 3, 5a, and 14. A fun-to-drive handful. The cold air, though, made the engine pretty happy and I'm expecting my data will show Sharpie set a new personal top speed on the front straight.

Congrats to Nick on 4/4 wins and congrats to Johnny D on a well-earned title!

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users