38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:38

NOTHING will make modifying the heads go away, just make it become more cheaty/expensive:

• There is significant variation in stock heads due to core shift.
  • There are ways of massaging a head that looks stock in the end. 
  • No one can tell with certainty whether the beneficial profile of the port/bowl area is normal production variation or the work of someone skilled in EDM. 
  • No one is going to put up with mass teardowns at events all over the country, so the middle of the pack will remain cheated up in the existing way and the front of the pack with the high dollar EDM worked heads. 
  • Even if tech detects something they think is fishy in the head, the stewards are not going to DQ because stock heads have such large variation in profiles. Even if the stewards take action, the racer will prevail on appeal. There is just not enough precision in the original castings. Period. Of course, this is for SCCA... NASA will just take them out in the back 40 and shoot them. Oh wait, that will lose them customers. Scratch that. 
Sorry to poop on your 'let's all go to stock heads' parade, but come one.... we are smarter than that.

Exactly why the rule for the plunge cut. It take away the majority of variation.
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

suck fumes

suck fumes

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Region:Lonestar
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:75

As Michael said, if we could develop a Spec Miata head for each Miata engine by CNCing the heads to maximum flow rate, any further work would be futile and probably counter productive. Once this had been implemented, we could then adjust weights and restrictor size to equalize all cars.

If you had a CNC'd head and decided to leave the class, you could probably get a premium price for your car.

The 1.6 and NA 1.8 could then become relevant again.

BTW I had Lingerfelder CNC a pair of Corvette heads using their CNC patterns this included new valves, springs and retainers for $1800. That's about $900 for each head using my core. That is less than we are paying for pro built heads right now.

Word!! I can build a bad ass mustang engine for what it cost to buy a blueprinted more or less stock Miata engine.
  • Tyler Dahl likes this
2010, 2011 SM Sowdiv points champion!
2011 National points champion!

WWW.MOTORSPORTHEAVEN.COM

KentCarter

KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:91

You are saying that the folks at Mazda, who race all over the world, can't provide an example of what to expect.   That is much like saying they can't alter rules less member input of two different sanctioning bodies. 

No... they can't. They can't recall all the variation that existed in OEM heads over the entire production run of new and crate motors. 

Now, if you are saying that they can control variation on a NEW run of heads for the NA1.6, NA1.8, NB and beyond, I say 'Yes, I agree... they can.' 

Is that what we are saying? That we are allll going to be forced to buy new heads in order to be considered compliant? That an untouched Ebay or junkyard head won't be safe? 

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Pat Ross

Pat Ross

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

Suck Fumes,

I agree,  I just checked on Lingenfelter's web site and they will CNC two LS3 heads for $1090 or $545/head.  That includes the 3 angle valve job.

If we could get a Miata head CNC'd for the same amount (lots less metal to machine) anyone could build their own head for less than we are paying for pro-built heads.  That probably isn't much more than it costs for a good valve job at your local machine shop.

BTW the heads went onto a 417 cid LS3 that I finished recently that cost $25k.  But it has $8k worth of ignition electronics and a dry sump system.  It  produced slightly over 700 hp and slightly over 600 lb-ft of torque on the engine dyno, unturned.  Its sitting in my garage waiting to go into my BMW.

• Tyler Dahl likes this

mdavis

mdavis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Region:Texas

Suck Fumes,

I agree,  I just checked on Lingenfelter's web site and they will CNC two LS3 heads for $1090 or $545/head.  That includes the 3 angle valve job.

If we could get a Miata head CNC'd for the same amount (lots less metal to machine) anyone could build their own head for less than we are paying for pro-built heads.  That probably isn't much more than it costs for a good valve job at your local machine shop.

BTW the heads went onto a 417 cid LS3 that I finished recently that cost $25k.  But it has $8k worth of ignition electronics and a dry sump system.  It  produced slightly over 700 hp and slightly over 600 lb-ft of torque on the engine dyno, unturned.  Its sitting in my garage waiting to go into my BMW.

Potential winner!!!

Talked to multiple pro (and I mean Indy/Nascar) engine folks who have these machines and ability to do large numbers in a short period of time.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

KentCarter

KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

All of these proposals still require the heads to come off and be teched. That means cams out, valves out..... never gonna happen. The cheatin' will continue. 

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Daniels - FIG

Jim Daniels - FIG

Site Founder

• Administrators
  • 274 posts
  • Region:Mid-South
  • Car Year:1989
  • Car Number:Any
Kent,

I feel for you but obviously you don't understand SCCA racing. They have and will state OEM. They will leave it at that. You will show up and be inspected at their mercy. Over time you will learn what passes tech. You will build to that via trial and error. Then another water ahed moment will happen and we start all over. Do you understand now?

I like this clip, you ate the marines and SCCA is Eastwood.

HeartBreak: http://youtu.be/VWCYv40Ur1g

"Never Stop Challenging"

Jim Daniels

Auto Sports Consulting / Coaching

My cup runneth over - Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup Champ Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - World Challenge Participant in a Mazda  - World Challenge Participant in a Mazda Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Grand-Am Competitor - Grand-Am Competitor in a Mazda  (can be GT, and ST)

KentCarter

KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Jim... I get it. I've been doing this long enough to know that this is no solution. 

It's going to cost me $2k... maybe $3k to replace a head that I think is legal by today's rules

It's not going to eliminate the modifications, just make them go underground... again

The same people who cheated at the runoffs this time and the last time and the time before that will cheat again

I don't know if my engine is legal now and I won't know if it is after I buy the new head. It will have variation from the guy/gal whose head is sitting on the bench next to me. That doesn't matter if it's a brand new Mazda-provided head, one I get from a junkyard or from my favorite EDM magician. Flip a coin, but some grey-haired, hard-of-hearing old coot who hasn't built an engine since the advent of fuel injection is going to judge their head or mine to be illegal. Might as well play russian roulette with 3 cartridges in the wheel. 

These aren't sealed engines and this isn't a workable solution to the issue. 

• Jim Daniels - FIG, steveracer, Cnj and 1 other like this

Tyler Dahl

Tyler Dahl

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:70
Cnc'd heads with spec'd port volumes and flow. No worries about people modifying then making it look stock. At the same time try to make the heads of all years equal in power as much as possible. I know it's a hoop dream and it costs money but I'd rather spend more up front for this then trying to find the best head out of 3 or more.

Also I like all the engine builders that were found non compliant but I'm going to think twice about doing any business with them in the future.
  • David L and MarekM like this

Tyler Dahl

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

After my chat last night with the racers here at the 2014 NASA Western Champs I couldn't get to sleep.  I stayed up way too late mulling this over and sent an email to my resources to explain to me in microscopic detail why we can't quantify/measure the SRT.

NASA & SCCA have been told that the STR can not be objectively tech'ed after an 'aftermarket' plunge cut has been made.  If this is true then a rule cannot be written for the STR thus the plunge cut must be eliminated as well.  This is the crux of the problem and why the plunge cut needs to be eliminated...  Regardless, I've heard the masses and I'm digging in to see if there are some other nonconventional ways to measure what we (NASA & SCCA) need to have measured to possibly proceed a different path.

I'm not promising ANYTHING right now except I'll take it to the end of the road to at minimum be able to provide complete answers.

BTW:  My email is blowing-up, which is good.  Please have some patience, I will read and answer all of them but time this weekend is tough being at the track.  Also, I don't have time to completelt read any of these threads...  If you have a comment please email me (JohnMueller@DriveNASA.com) and I'll eventually get an answer.

• Cnj, B(Kuch)Kucera45 and RussMcB like this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

After my chat last night with the racers here at the 2014 NASA Western Champs I couldn't get to sleep.  I stayed up way too late mulling this over and sent an email to my resources to explain to me in microscopic detail why we can't quantify/measure the SRT.

NASA & SCCA have been told that the STR can not be objectively tech'ed after an 'aftermarket' plunge cut has been made.  If this is true then a rule cannot be written for the STR thus the plunge cut must be eliminated as well.  This is the crux of the problem and why the plunge cut needs to be eliminated...  Regardless, I've heard the masses and I'm digging in to see if there are some other nonconventional ways to measure what we (NASA & SCCA) need to have measured to possibly proceed a different path.

I'm not promising ANYTHING right now except I'll take it to the end of the road to at minimum be able to provide complete answers.

BTW:  My email is blowing-up, which is good.  Please have some patience, I will read and answer all of them but time this weekend is tough being at the track.  Also, I don't have time to completelt read any of these threads...  If you have a comment please email me (JohnMueller@DriveNASA.com) and I'll eventually get an answer.

John, I'd like to point out that the plunge cut has not been the problem.  It's the finish work beyond the plunge cut.  Given that, I don't think the plunge cut should be thrown under the bus. The plunge cut itself is quite well defined and those cuts when they have been inspected in tech in the past have been measured.  

Be prepared for others more knowledgeable than I to submit a sound method to measure the short side.

I think it's lousy that we are where we are today (don't we need one of those Hitler videos on this subject right about now?) but reality is beginning to sink in with me.  Are there several hundred heads out there with plunge cuts now?  Probably.  What will the collective spend be if everyone replaces those at $1500-$2000 a copy by the time you factor core, parts, labor?  Approaching $1 million bucks?  Where does that money come from? Racing budgets.  What will happen to all the heads that are removed?  Some on ebay maybe but many probably find there way back on a SM race car one day.  So then what has been accomplished?  

• pat slattery, Cnj and RussMcB like this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79

John, I'd like to point out that the plunge cut has not been the problem.  It's the finish work beyond the plunge cut.  Given that, I don't think the plunge cut should be thrown under the bus. The plunge cut itself is quite well defined and those cuts when they have been inspected in tech in the past have been measured.  

Be prepared for others more knowledgeable than I to submit a sound method to measure the short side.

I think it's lousy that we are where we are today (don't we need one of those Hitler videos on this subject right about now?) but reality is beginning to sink in with me.  Are there several hundred heads out there with plunge cuts now?  Probably.  What will the collective spend be if everyone replaces those at $1500-$2000 a copy by the time you factor core, parts, labor?  Approaching $1 million bucks?  Where does that money come from? Racing budgets.  What will happen to all the heads that are removed?  Some on ebay maybe but many probably find there way back on a car one day.  So then what has been accomplished?  

And where does that million go to, many of the engine builders that created this problem

• Caveman-kwebb99 and DrDomm like this

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
Pat are you making sense again???? Your on a roll!

K. Webb